(Quote) Robert-864486 said:
Where do we start? I've noticed a few things about the profile pictures that I think I should share. Granted some of these may seem minor but they become magnified in the importance of first impression. When you read this post, do so in a voice that is sarcastic on the outside, but weeping for humanity on the inside. I'm not mad, but I just figured i'd share these tid bits of wisdom for those who honestly haven't given this all a second thought; because if so, here's your chance to redeem yourself!
What we're going for in a profile picture is not necessarily anything fancy, just a good honest representation of what you look like, and maybe a small detail/quirk or two to set you apart.
Where I seem to see the most pictures go astray:
1. Lighting - Probably the most common and most annoying is a picture that is too bright. Having light skin is no shame, but when you look like a white-washed fence you're bound to cause a few to keep walking on down the sidewalk. If it looks like you're looking out the window of a spaceship that's falling into the sun , then that's probably an indication for how fast my intrest in you is burning up along with it. Really what's at stake here is the simple fact that I want to see what you look like, instead of having the frustrating feeling of trying to rescue you from a snowstorm. Your face starts to turn into splotches of white and hides all the beautiful detail that makes you unique from every other person on the planet.
The antinomy of this is the picture that is too dark. Not much to say here, just like there's not much to see [ got a light?]
The synthesis of the two previous problems into one is the black and white photo. I'm sure you've realized by now, but we've been using color pictures for half a century now. When you really think about it, using a black and white photo is only dectracting from the shot, it isn't adding anything. The profile picture is not the time to get fancy, do that in the other photos you add. The first one just has to be what you look like, so let's stop pretending to be all artsy (unless art/photography really is your job or major!)
2. Acceptable # of people in a profile picture all about you - Yep, you guessed it: ONE! Not two, not one and a half, just you, the open road, and a world full of dreams and possibilities ahead. If your face looks like it's glued to somebody elses, that's probably an indicator that your life is glued to somebody else's. Even more horrifying if that's only half of a person's head. Cropping a photo won't hide the fact that you can't find a SINGLE picture of just you. Without that individualITY, i'm not sure you're an individUAL. A picture of just you says that you've got some potential space for me in there.
3. Glasses - Maybe it's because you really are getting too close to the sun, or maybe it's just because you suffered a terrible accident that left you eyeless. They say that the eyes are the window to your soul, and you've just put up some serious sun block. Comming back down to earth, you probably just were too lazy or unmindful to find or take a photo of yourself without your trusty shades. Invest in yourself to get a good shot that really shows me the beauty underneath those bug-eyed sunglasses [unless you're an entomologist who studies insects]. So please put down the sun glasses and stop trying to block the sun from getting in and let the radiance of God shine OUTWARDS from your beautiful visage. (unless of course the glasses are glued to your face, and therefore i'm getting an accurate representation of what to expect for a lifetime )
4. Funny Faces - This one isn't quite as bad as the others, but i'm inclined to think that if you don't take yourself seriously enough, how am I supposed to? If you're just a goofy type, well that's great, but again there's a better time and place to show this (in your other photos). Just an even keel emotion or smiling face is all that's required to start off, if you look terrified or grumpy that's not going to send off a good vibe either. The profile picture is the quick first impression kind of glance, and all I need is the shape of your wonderful human face, not your puffer fish impression. [Unless of course you are a marine biologist, and study such things for a living].
5. Too revealing/exposing - I hate to have to get into this one, but if you're leaning all forward into the shot with a tank top on, that's not screaming modesty to me. Either you forgot that this was a Catholic site, or you don't fully understand what that means to be a woman of God. You've got to steal yourself away before I can steal you back, and make me think it's a steal and not a hand-out! (see the barbed wire? It says STAY OUT!)
Ok just for recap. What we want again is: head/upper-body shot with just you, proper lighting, and nothing on or near your face except a smile [or grin]
Good night, God bless, and stay classy my friends ;)