Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

I run a cooking club for women in the Columbus diocese. Once a month we have a professional chef do a live cooking demonstration, decorate the room like a 5 star restaurant and have women come in to watch the demo and sample the food and wine. It is so much fun. It gives women a pampered night out, a chance to make friends and new recipes to cook for the family. The big problem is that I decided to do ethnic or regional themes this year and I need help picking popular ones. I thought to ask the ladies but we have anywhere from 256 women to 58 ( in december during the holidays) in any given month and the thought of getting them to agree was a bit daunting. I would also prefer not to offend anyone if I did not pick their theme. Therefore I am asking you. Keep in mind that it cannot be anything too crazy as I would have to find a chef that cooks that cuisine and persuade them to do the demo. However if you have something crazy, are a chef and willing to come to Columbus to do the demo, share away. ( It might actually get you quite a few dates. Justin our house chef always gets numbers at the end of the night from both interested ladies or women who have some friend or family member who is single) winkPlus you are in service to great Catholic women.

So help me. I already decided on food from the Holy Land for March during lent. We are also doing small plates of the Mediterranean or Tapas in January. So gentlemen if you had a wife what cuisine would you wish she could learn to cook at home. Ladies if you could learn to cook a cuisine for your family what would it be.

God bless you in advance for your helpful thinking caps.

Jan 7th 2013 new

roast chicken on rice

pigeon peas with okra

escavite fish

curried goat.

the food of the english-speaking caribbean wink

Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: roast chicken on rice pigeon peas with okra escavite fish currie...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

roast chicken on rice

pigeon peas with okra

escavite fish

curried goat.

the food of the english-speaking caribbean

--hide--

biggrin laughing That is actually Jamaican food but I like your thinking. I may just have to tell Fr. Marty that I met you on CM so that he can give you a call to come back to recollections. wink

Jan 7th 2013 new
I'm a huge fan of Thai food...you can't go wrong...so many colors, flavors, etc....beyond that another unique theme was a "Souper Bowl" party....learning to make different soups and whatnot goes over great in winter months.
Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) John-875813 said: I'm a huge fan of Thai food...you can't go wrong...so many colors, flavors, etc....beyond that an...
(Quote) John-875813 said: I'm a huge fan of Thai food...you can't go wrong...so many colors, flavors, etc....beyond that another unique theme was a "Souper Bowl" party....learning to make different soups and whatnot goes over great in winter months.
--hide--

Those are both great. Thanks so much for the input.

Jan 7th 2013 new
Shara,

You can go italian style:

1) lasagna 2) chicken parmegiana

You can go hispanic style:

1) arroz con pollo(rice w/ chicken) 2) sancocho (a soup with 3 different types of meat and vegetables), etc

You can go the Spanish style:

1) paella a la valenciana (rice with different type of sea food)
Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Lucia-866196 said: Shara, You can go italian style: 1) lasagna 2) chicken parmegiana You can go his...
(Quote) Lucia-866196 said: Shara,

You can go italian style:

1) lasagna 2) chicken parmegiana

You can go hispanic style:

1) arroz con pollo(rice w/ chicken) 2) sancocho (a soup with 3 different types of meat and vegetables), etc

You can go the Spanish style:

1) paella a la valenciana (rice with different type of sea food)
--hide--

Do you have any good recipes? We usually do an appetizer, entree and desert.

Jan 7th 2013 new
Shara,

I don't cook using recipes because I learned how to cook since I was a little girl. For appetizer, it could be something with tropical fruits. The main course could be a dish with rice and for desert a "flan".
Jan 7th 2013 new
Hi Shara, one fun theme might be crepes, they are easy and elegant...you can do endless varieties of sweet or savory and serve it up with a platter of chocolate dipped strawberries for dessert and a nice champagne!
Jan 7th 2013 new

(Quote) Erin-419365 said: Hi Shara, one fun theme might be crepes, they are easy and elegant...you can do endless varieties of swee...
(Quote) Erin-419365 said: Hi Shara, one fun theme might be crepes, they are easy and elegant...you can do endless varieties of sweet or savory and serve it up with a platter of chocolate dipped strawberries for dessert and a nice champagne!
--hide--

That sounds great and yummy. I not very good at crepes and may need to step up my game. We usually do some extra nights outside of the main event with smaller groups so that might be great then. We did one on fancy cupcake decorating and that was fun. I am not sure how a chef might react to making crepes for 200+ women. Keep thinking and I truly appreciate the ideas.

Posts 1 - 10 of 34