Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Jan 8th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Without Lefebvre there likely wouldn't have been the creation of loyal societies of tradition...
(Quote) John-220051 said:

Without Lefebvre there likely wouldn't have been the creation of loyal societies of traditionalists and Pope Benedict's effort to recover lost traditions.
--hide--

They were never lost. There are plenty of clergy, especially at the highest levels of the Church, who were brought up before VII. The notion that anybody has to "recover" anything is not credible.

It is far more likely that without Lefebvre and his arrogant rebellion, the return of the Extraordinary Form would have started decades sooner than it did. It is clear that both Benedict and JPII look at that form benevolently at the very least. Lefebvre's childishness, however, made it difficult to relax restrictions without appearing to give in to (and thus encourage more) rebellion.

Jan 8th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: You are right on the anti-Semitism part. But there are a lot of other points apart from that wher...
(Quote) John-220051 said:

You are right on the anti-Semitism part. But there are a lot of other points apart from that where the Society is right on target in terms of its criticism of the post-Vatican II liturgy, spiritual life and wholesale corruption in the Church.
--hide--

There was plenty of wholesale corruption in the Church when Martin Luther was making his criticisms. Doesn't make either Luther or Lefebvre correct in how they reacted to it.

Jan 8th 2013 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: They were never lost. There are plenty of clergy, especially at the highest levels of the...
(Quote) John-336509 said:

They were never lost. There are plenty of clergy, especially at the highest levels of the Church, who were brought up before VII. The notion that anybody has to "recover" anything is not credible.

It is far more likely that without Lefebvre and his arrogant rebellion, the return of the Extraordinary Form would have started decades sooner than it did. It is clear that both Benedict and JPII look at that form benevolently at the very least. Lefebvre's childishness, however, made it difficult to relax restrictions without appearing to give in to (and thus encourage more) rebellion.

--hide--
John, the language you've chosen for your criticism is really unnecessary.The Pope has not said as much.Lefebvre was anything but childish.He was a good man and a good Bishop, who had a great love for his Church.I know you love to judge the SSPX,but leave that to the Pope,and to God.Take a break.Please try to use more charitable language in the future.

Jan 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: John, the language you've chosen for your criticism is really unnecessary.The Pope has not sa...
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

John, the language you've chosen for your criticism is really unnecessary.The Pope has not said as much.Lefebvre was anything but childish.He was a good man and a good Bishop, who had a great love for his Church.I know you love to judge the SSPX,but leave that to the Pope,and to God.Take a break.Please try to use more charitable language in the future.

--hide--

scratchchin

Odd, I thought I was being charitable. "Childish" was the nicest thing I came up with...

Jan 8th 2013 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: (Quote) Bernard-2709 said: John, the language you've chosen for your cr...

Quote:
Bernard-2709 said:

Odd, I thought I was being charitable. "Childish" was the nicest thing I came up with...

--hide--
If you think so,but highly inaccurate.

Jan 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: If you think so,but highly inaccurate.
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

--hide--

Oh no, I'm quite confident that it is accurate to say that "childish" is quite benign to what I was originally wanting to say. angel

Jan 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: This video provides a good synopsis of the chain of events that began with Martin Luther and Henry...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

This video provides a good synopsis of the chain of events that began with Martin Luther and Henry VIII resulted in the modernism that is ripping apart both the Church and society today.

youtu.be

--hide--

Thank you! I suppose it might not be a good idea to send the link to an annoyingly Lutheran pastor "friend" (female) that attempts to undermine my Catholic faith.

Jan 9th 2013 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: They were never lost. There are plenty of clergy, especially at the highest levels of the...

--hide--

THANK YOU!!! clap clap clap

Jan 9th 2013 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: (Quote) Bernard-2709 said: If you think so,but highly inaccurate.

Quote:
Bernard-2709 said:

Oh no, I'm quite confident that it is accurate to say that "childish" is quite benign to what I was originally wanting to say.

--hide--
troll

Jan 9th 2013 new

(Quote) David-364112 said: (Quote) John-336509 said: They were never lost. There are plenty ...
(Quote) David-364112 said:

Quote:
John-336509 said:

THANK YOU!!!

--hide--
troll

Posts 11 - 20 of 22