Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Miracles you have seen

Jan 5th 2013 new

Hi all,

For some reason last night I was thinking of my young neighbor Sara's miracle of a few weeks ago -- probably because I had invited her in to see my recently (and virtuously) cleaned and organized living room (I clean my place ever two years like clockwork!).

She came down with ovarian cancer on top of lots of other horrific things in her life a couple of months back. A single mom with two young kids. Other things? Hey, would like learning about and seeing to cancer and your employer doesn't like you to miss work so he fires you on your birthday? And the guy is a doctor to boot.

I have been a happy participant in a number of miracles and mystical things (the Kingdom of Heaven really is at hand) and I'm normally right there to do my clumsy bit. But we couldn't get together to pray it away.* That actually happened once, same disease, and maybe I'll relate it later.

So as I love, just plain love, good St. Padre Pio (Get on it -- ask him to help!) I just left it to him to intercede with Jesus. They are apparently very close to one another. Almost immediately I had this image of Sara's ovaries (Darn sketchy -- female plumbing is a mystery and in this man's opinion this is a darn good thing) but instead of ovaries I saw ... hosts. Jesus in the those disc shaped white hosts. Very startling I can tell you.

So ten days later (She probably missed three intervening appointments -- the girl cannot seem to keep appointments) she goes to the doctor's for the night-before-surgery-imaging scan and -- it's all gone. The usual shocked doctor response follows. They'd been wanting to get in there ASAP after all. The one ovary had been a completely lost cause.

And after a bit of a crisis during this time the rest of life for her and those children settled down. Jesus being a thorough sort.

Annnnnyway, jump in with miracles and mysticism you, your family, or friends have experienced. Or perhaps your favorites.

I love this kind of thing. The very presence of God.

:')

NC Jim

*We all know it's God, right? But sometimes we can stand around holding an umbrella as it were.

Jan 5th 2013 new

Jim, Thank you for sharing this beautiful story. It is giving me hope because I have a close family member who has been battling a rare cancer for a year and a half and has gone through three major surgeries. I have prayed to St. Jude for help for him, but I will take your advice and pray to Padre Pio. Are there any specific prayers you can recommend? Thanks. And I'm very happy to know that your friend is well again!! Jesus is merciful!

Jan 7th 2013 new

Hi Alena,

No specific prayers, exactly.

One thing comes to mind. It has always seemed to me that there is a climate to healing. This goes in both directions -- meaning you want a climate where it all tends to health but also you want a climate where bad things can't grow.

I know you and your family are all over this situation but, if it's okay to throw in some advice, be sure to double check the material on changing the internal climate with diet. Whole foods diets have cured so many things. And I believe going off carbohidrates totally messes with cancers. Apparently our bodies can switch from getting energy from carbos to getting energy from ketones, which come from protein. Cancer cells have this major weakness -- the only cells in our bodies that can't process ketones.

Healings ... sometimes the answer comes from the next person you talk to.

Goofy example. My arm was hurting and I could barely work, a serious problem. One Saturday I needed something hardware-ish. Somehow I was chatting with an elderly lady, an exercise physiologist, who suggested I go low carb. Couldn't find what I wanted there so I went to Lowe's. Another elderly lady, a physician's assistant I think, suggested low carb for me. It was probably an Ace Hardware where the, you guessed it, elderly lady nutritionist told me to go low carb.

I was getting tired of chatting up elderly ladies and my arm hurt like hell so I went ahead and did what they suggested. Three days later problem all gone.

Look at the nutrition thing very closely. I believe that such things must be done to perfection, no cheating.

It would be wonderful to somehow be of help to you and your loved one. Even though I'm not an elderly lady. I will certainly ask Padre Pio, with you, to help you all.

Keep us posted,

Jim

Jan 7th 2013 new

This forum is, along with catechetics and liturgy, about apologetics.

We use apologetics to explain and defend the faith, the true faith, that Jesus has given us in His church. I think the best apologetics is to show people why we are Catholic -- because it works! Some protestant denominations really do not like our devotion to the Blessed Mother. I tell them: It works!

So I plumped this thread in the Catechetics forum. I mention this because there are very few posts [as yet?]. I might also mention that every single consecration in our liturgy shows us a mind-bending miracle -- the presence of Jesus. Have you googled Eucharistic Miracles lately?

Mystical things as well as miracle things ...

Was it like this in grade school for you? You hung around with your classmates and thought it cool when the older kids talked to you? And didn't hang with the younger ones?

There was a girl, Mary, who was a year younger than me. For some reason, while talking maybe twice in five years, we really just liked each other. We use to wink or grin at each other. Raise our eyebrows or roll our eyes at something Sister said at one of the frequent school assemblies. (The sisters of Notre Dame at my parochial school were freakin' nuts about "Song Fests".) Mostly I remember the grin. I don't think I saw Mary again after my eighth grade.

Well, actually, one more time -- the basis of this story.

Flash forward to when I'm out of college and living out in the San Francisco peninsula, maybe 24 or so. I'm driving along Hwy 101, a very busy highway, maybe middle of the afternoon pacific time.

Suddenly I'm not there. I'm watching ... kind of dream-like, I suppose, but "immediate" ... a young woman with a bundle in her arms moving towards a walled-garden door. Tall stone wall like you might see in an old European town. The door was of heavy seeming vertical boards and was rounded at the top. Cast iron black hinges, the strap kind. Just, you know, giving you supporting detail ...

And the young woman turns to me and grins -- It's Mary! Gives me a "Hiya" gesture and slips in. She didn't seem the least surprised to see me or think it was any big deal. She was just happily moving along to that door, moving fast, and just gave me her normal flash-grin.

The door is slightly open -- I can't see in or anything -- and this stunning gold/white light is coming out and the whole business smells like gardenias. That light was pure life -- hard to describe. Duh. It was rich, like breathing ... broth? LOL, soupy light. I'm a poet.

Happened so quick and then I'm back in my car, as it were, and the car is spinning down the highway. Barely had time to register that when it straightens out and all is well. I think I made a tiny 1/8" adjustment to the steering wheel with one finger. Probably the only time that highway wasn't bumper to bumper.

And the car smelled like gardenias! Isn't that something? It did for most of the afternoon as I recall. Aired out with open windows as per the normal you would expect.

So when I got home I called home and talked to my mom, "Um, anything interesting happen today around town?" And she says, "Yes, pray for her family --- Mary ****** ran off the road today and into a pond and drowned. Her and her little baby." And she knew the time exactly -- the same time as my happening allowing for the three hour time zone difference.

I'm thinking I haven't told five people that story in the thirty years since it happened but now you know it. Whatcha gonna do with it? I hope you will, like me, feel a little better about crossing over. We'll breath soupy air, the best kind. :')

Honestly, do you think these things just happen in Catholic Digest?

Well, there you go, a mystical story.

Jump in with yours, please. Does anyone know of something similar?

Jim

Jan 7th 2013 new

Here's one for the ladies. A good story for CatholicMatch too. Cross referenced to "Catholic-on-the-spot", as I think of it.

Back around the same time, while living in San Jose, my roommate's sister came out from back east to visit him.

Matt had some kind of business trip to make and asked me to look after his sister and "show her a good time". Of course it then occurred to him that to another guy his annoying little sister might actually look good, frowned, and said "Not too good a time!" LOL, I have sisters too.

Anyway, I took her hiking in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Really cool trails and, turns out, chicks dig that kind of thing! (I need to think about that seriously. I told my friend Debbie that if she visits me I will let her carry my stuff when we hit the trails. I am so smooth!)

The trail we were on went for miles, maybe 6 feet wide, nice loamy dirt.

And we walk along, talking, and eventually it gets Catholic. And the subject was whether or not she would find the right guy ever and ever get married. She was really so low and sad. Being 20 or so I suppose she thought she was getting on in years? Well, we all know that girls are peculiar.

Short story really. We had come to a stop, facing each other, her so pensive and sad. And suddenly I had this urge to lift my right boot and dig where it had been. Wha -- you think I do that often?

And down three inches was something hard and round which I pulled up and we wiped the mud off it in the palm of my hand and it was ...

A wedding ring!

So she got all round eyed and girl-happy, felt better. I suppose it must have been important right then for her to get the boost.

It was a cheap ring. Does that mean God brought her a cheap husband? Well, you guys can handle the theological questions.

I often wish she had been all worked up over something like, "Oh, will I never find a sunken chest filled with millions of dollars in pirate treasure?" Would have worked out better to my mind! But I'm just boot boy.

Kindness. Miracles can be large or small but they are kind.

I really hope someone else jumps in here.

NC Jim

Jan 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Jim-149694 said: Hi all, For some reason last night I was thinking of my young neighbor Sara's miracle of...
(Quote) Jim-149694 said:

Hi all,

For some reason last night I was thinking of my young neighbor Sara's miracle of a few weeks ago -- probably because I had invited her in to see my recently (and virtuously) cleaned and organized living room (I clean my place ever two years like clockwork!).

She came down with ovarian cancer on top of lots of other horrific things in her life a couple of months back. A single mom with two young kids. Other things? Hey, would like learning about and seeing to cancer and your employer doesn't like you to miss work so he fires you on your birthday? And the guy is a doctor to boot.

I have been a happy participant in a number of miracles and mystical things (the Kingdom of Heaven really is at hand) and I'm normally right there to do my clumsy bit. But we couldn't get together to pray it away.* That actually happened once, same disease, and maybe I'll relate it later.

So as I love, just plain love, good St. Padre Pio (Get on it -- ask him to help!) I just left it to him to intercede with Jesus. They are apparently very close to one another. Almost immediately I had this image of Sara's ovaries (Darn sketchy -- female plumbing is a mystery and in this man's opinion this is a darn good thing) but instead of ovaries I saw ... hosts. Jesus in the those disc shaped white hosts. Very startling I can tell you.

So ten days later (She probably missed three intervening appointments -- the girl cannot seem to keep appointments) she goes to the doctor's for the night-before-surgery-imaging scan and -- it's all gone. The usual shocked doctor response follows. They'd been wanting to get in there ASAP after all. The one ovary had been a completely lost cause.

And after a bit of a crisis during this time the rest of life for her and those children settled down. Jesus being a thorough sort.

Annnnnyway, jump in with miracles and mysticism you, your family, or friends have experienced. Or perhaps your favorites.

I love this kind of thing. The very presence of God.

NC Jim

*We all know it's God, right? But sometimes we can stand around holding an umbrella as it were.

--hide--

Beautiful Miracles!

Jan 11th 2013 new
Jan 11th 2013 new
Fast fingers! I was reading your story in Close Calls and had to see what you had to say over here in your thread. Don't you think some people are more open to these happenings for lack of a better word? Jim, my story isn't as wowing as the few you posted (really liked the girls story though) but here goes. I had lost my baby at 7 1/2 months...stillborn. My husband Richard was with me the whole time through a lengthy labor and I as ill with the medication. Surprisingly, he was a great nurse! Without getting into details of the delivery of Benjamin, the nurse brought him back to me wrapped in a bundle in a little basin. Immediately Richard closed the curtain between the two beds in the room and wouldn't even look at our beautiful little boy. Actually Benjamin looked just like my little sister when she was born. I asked why not and he was silent. I said you will regret it one day and left it to a way a man grieves. It was about a year and a half later and my sister Annmarie was desperate for a babysitter so I said I would take care of Brian. My oldest Christopher was about a year and a half old and he would like to be entertained so we took out the crib and a couple of the new toys we had bought for Benjamin and set them up in our bedroom. You know, one of the toys you clip on the crib that fascinate babies. One night we were both sleeping and the music from that toy started up. I looked at Richard and he said I didn't do it but we both saw that carousel turning. Brian only stayed during the day so the crib was empty. Well that was the start of the phenomenon. There was a bright light in the corner of the bedroom and you couldn't help but see it. It was as large as a headlight. I had my second son Neill and now the fun begins. I would send Richard downstairs for the bottle while I changed the baby. He would say you left the lights on in the kitchen and family room and I would say no I didn't. As he would walk up the stairs, a bell would tinkle on the stair below it. That would happen to me too! Occasionally there would be a little blue light on the floor and sometimes it would stay there for a few minutes and sometimes move. We told our friend Gary, a navy man on vacation, about these things and he said he was okay with it. He saw the little blue light and heard the bell and wanted to call ghost busters! That made us laugh. I would periodically go through the toys to find that particular sound and no, not there. A year later after a multitude of childish pranks, the light was back in the corner of the room. I said to Richard I think Benjamin is leaving us now. We had discussed all these things before and I said look at the light ..... It is getting smaller and smaller. I didn't want to blink my eyes or I would miss it disappearing. That was Benjamin making his little self known to his dad without a choice. I only tell this story to people who won't think I am totally off my rocker...I am hoping I chose wisely but I don't know too much about the other viewers! Now what are my chances of meeting someone here on CM?
Jan 11th 2013 new

I well believe you and thank you for the story Eileen. There have been many such stories over the years and I hope we see here more like yours. The climate of your household must be pleasing to Our Lord and God bless you for it!

Jan 11th 2013 new
(Quote) Jim-149694 said: I well believe you and thank you for the story Eileen. There have been many such stories over the years and I ho...
(Quote) Jim-149694 said:

I well believe you and thank you for the story Eileen. There have been many such stories over the years and I hope we see here more like yours. The climate of your household must be pleasing to Our Lord and God bless you for it!

--hide--
Thank you Jim. My mom being from Ireland had many wonderful and goose bumping stories. Nothing compares to real life though. I have also seen things in dreams but that is a story for another day.
Posts 1 - 10 of 27