Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

Jan 9th 2013 new

Sorry -- my computer thinks I hit post!

Anyhow -- please take this survey and post your results. I think it would be fun to discuss dialects, accents, regional wording, etc -- I think 'accents' are so fun and attractive!

www.gotoquiz.com

Jan 9th 2013 new

It depends how tired I am. Depending on the time of day, how nervous I am, and so forth, I may sound like someone from East Texas or Connemara or someone from Ipswich. Most of the time I probably sound as though I'm from Nebraska, I suppose. I do not say things like "duck on a junebug" or "I'll whack ye with me shillelaghleh" or anything like that. At least, I hope I don't. I have noticed "y'all" and "all y'all" creeping into my daily use vocabulary, but so have the phrases "you guys" and "dude." If I got to Spanish mass or listening to my French news radio or something, I probably sound bizarre for a while. I do know I am one of those people like my father that tends to "lingual shift," adapting to whatever the general speech patterns around me are without realizing it.

Jan 9th 2013 new
I do that "lingual shift" too, Katherine! It's funny and sometimes embarrassing if someone thinks I'm doing it on purpose or to make fun! As a kid I was often asked if I was from England because I would speak distinctly and with some unknown change that stood out -- my Julia also gets asked that when people meet her too, but we are just Pennsylvania Americans!
Jan 9th 2013 new
Although I live in TN, I do not have a Southern accent. I am from California.

Would you like to hear my voice without sharing phone numbers? Do you like to pray the Rosary? If so, message me and I will send you information about the Sunday and Tuesday night Rosary Teleconferences. wave
Jan 9th 2013 new

<--- Upper midwest accent, Iron Range dialect, you betcha, dontcha know

Jan 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Michael-76823 said: <--- Upper midwest accent, Iron Range dialect, you betcha, dontcha know
(Quote) Michael-76823 said:

<--- Upper midwest accent, Iron Range dialect, you betcha, dontcha know

--hide--
Margo from Fargo checking in, don't you know. I watched the movie Fargo a few weeks ago and ended up going to a board meeting the next day and speaking w/a heavy North Dakota accent. (usedta live there. uff da! it was cold sometimes.) Now I talk more like I'm from Wisconsin, but I don't say Wiscaaansin like some people do.

Jan 9th 2013 new

My sister and I took the test and got different results!!! Not sure what we were different on but I want to know!!!

Jan 9th 2013 new

dang quiz said something like I am the lowest common denominator or something like that irked and placed me in the Midlands

Jan 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: Sorry -- my computer thinks I hit post! Anyhow -- please take this survey and post yo...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

Sorry -- my computer thinks I hit post!

Anyhow -- please take this survey and post your results. I think it would be fun to discuss dialects, accents, regional wording, etc -- I think 'accents' are so fun and attractive!

www.gotoquiz.com

--hide--

This was right on I was told I had an inland north

This is what it said

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

I am not from the city of Chicago but that is the largest city to my home town. I also had to laugh at the thing about carbonated drinks! Yes I do call it POP.

Keep the Faith
Chuck

Posts 1 - 10 of 31