Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

I'll put it straight out here. There is someone that I am very much attracted to intellectually, spiritually and physically. She happens to be a 2nd cousin. Where is the line drawn, as far as relations go toward those who are technically 'family'? I highly doubt there is anything mutual on her part, but I'd still like to get an opinion on this. Thanks! =)

Jan 8th 2013 new

Hi, I think Canon 1091 addresses your question:

Can. 1091 §1. In the direct line of consanguinity marriage is invalid between all ancestors and descendants, both legitimate and natural.

§2. In the collateral line marriage is invalid up to and including the fourth degree.

§3. The impediment of consanguinity is not multiplied.

§4. A marriage is never permitted if doubt exists whether the partners are related by consanguinity in any degree of the direct line or in the second degree of the collateral line.

Of course, you probably have to be a canon lawyer to understand what that all means.

Here is an article that might help:

catholicexchange.com

But I think the best thing to do is talk to a priest who is also a canon lawyer.

And then of course there is the matter of civil law. Many states allow marriage as long as you are not first cousins, but marriage is a state by state thing, so you would have to know the law of your own state and where you are marrying to know if the marriage is 1) permitted and 2) recognized (even if you marry in another state that allows it, will your home state where you wish to live recognize the union from a legal point of view.

Good luck!

Jan 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-926548 said: I'll put it straight out here. There is someone that I am very much attracted to intellectuall...
(Quote) Paul-926548 said:

I'll put it straight out here. There is someone that I am very much attracted to intellectually, spiritually and physically. She happens to be a 2nd cousin. Where is the line drawn, as far as relations go toward those who are technically 'family'? I highly doubt there is anything mutual on her part, but I'd still like to get an opinion on this. Thanks! =)

--hide--

What do you mean by "second cousin?" Different people have different ideas about the hierarchy. Just wondering?

Good question, though, Paul.

Jan 8th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-926548 said: I'll put it straight out here. There is someone that I am very much attracted to intellectuall...

--hide--

Dating/marrying close relatives is not culturally accepted in the USA and Europe - although it is the norm in other parts of the world, particularly the muslim middle east.

I wouldn't recommend a relationship with anyone who's related by blood. Perhaps a relative by marriage is another thing, but it nonethless has a strong potential to cause family discord.

Jan 8th 2013 new

Hi Paul, good question. But I don't think kissing cousins would be wise, just saying. Keep your close family ties and look elsewhere.

Good luck to you in your search Praying rosary theheart

Oh, quick question Dave. Didn't the royals not too long ago keep it in the family and that's why they had trouble with being hemophiliacs? What I mean if they marry nowadays they are just commoners, not cousins?

K, just a stupid question, but I don't think it's wise.

Jan 8th 2013 new

Cathy:

By the late 19th century most European Monarchs were closely interrelated. Thisresulted in numerous cases of hemophilia. That condition is not a result of inbreeding, but the gene was widely transmitted in that fashion.

The Amish often suffer from genetic disoprders because they tend to marry within very tight communities where after a few generations everyone is related. Near me there are many Amish with six fingers. That rare gene was passed throughout the sommunity.

Jan 9th 2013 new
(Quote) Paul-926548 said: I'll put it straight out here. There is someone that I am very much attracted to intellectually, spiritually...

--hide--

I'm not sure exactly where I would draw the line, but in my view second cousins would be too close for relations. I'd also be concerned that there might still be enough common genes at that proximity that congenital birth defects in a child could occur.
Jan 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Charles-512043 said: I'm not sure exactly where I would draw the line, but in my view second cousins would be t...
(Quote) Charles-512043 said:

I'm not sure exactly where I would draw the line, but in my view second cousins would be too close for relations. I'd also be concerned that there might still be enough common genes at that proximity that congenital birth defects in a child could occur.
--hide--

So what do you mean by "second cousins?"

Jan 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Cathy-564420 said: Hi Paul, good question. But I don't think kissing cousins would be wise, just saying. Keep yo...
(Quote) Cathy-564420 said:

Hi Paul, good question. But I don't think kissing cousins would be wise, just saying. Keep your close family ties and look elsewhere.

Good luck to you in your search

Oh, quick question Dave. Didn't the royals not too long ago keep it in the family and that's why they had trouble with being hemophiliacs? What I mean if they marry nowadays they are just commoners, not cousins?

K, just a stupid question, but I don't think it's wise.

--hide--

You know, I remember reading about the Jews having problems with marrying too close. Since they prefer to marry
other Jews, it can get risky. There was a particular disease that was recessive, but because of the marriage situation,
it became more common.

Jan 11th 2013 new
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: So what do you mean by "second cousins?"
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

So what do you mean by "second cousins?"

--hide--

The children of my parents' first cousins.
Posts 1 - 10 of 26