Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jan 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: "Perhaps you’re wondering why this issue of psychiatric medications should be so impor...
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

"Perhaps you’re wondering why this issue of psychiatric medications should be so important."

"As I documented in“How Evil Works,”it is simply indisputable that most perpetrators of school shootings and similar mass murders in our modern era were either on – or just recently coming off of – psychiatric medications:" by David Kupelian

Read more at www.wnd.com

--hide--

Excellent points here. Thanks for sharing this.

Jan 10th 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: Just one thought concerning a more intrusive background of the mental health of a potential gun owner...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

Just one thought concerning a more intrusive background of the mental health of a potential gun owner applicant....

The whole idea of more intrusive background checks could have bad unintended consequences. Perhaps there are many relatively normal and stable people who really would benefit from some counseling sessions for their personal problems (of any sort), veterans seeking counseling as they return from war, police officers after a shooting, or perhaps people with problems in their marriage that may intentionally avoid seeking professional help if they believe that such an action could keep them from owning a gun in the future.

Intensifying such background checks could result in a "less well" society if it results in people avoiding beneficial counceling. I don't really have a solution for this, but I think that we should be very careful that in addressing one problem, we do not create a bigger societal problem.

This perdicament is somewhat similar to a Catholic taking advantage of the Sacrament of Reconciliation. How many Catholics would confess their worst sins if they knew that the government would/could compel the priest to provide all the details of the confession?

Just my thoughts.

Ed

--hide--
This is an excellent and very thoughtful post Ed. I too, agree that people avoiding needed and helpful treatment would be the result, for fear that this information would somehow be used against them. The idea that the government could access a database of citizens who have sought mental health care is, in my view, a clear and very frightening violation of doctor/patient confidentiality.

That said, I do believe that persons who have been adjudicated IN A COURT OF LAW as being mentally unfit for gun ownership need to have that record available to police because it is now a legal court document. They have had their day in court because of behaviors which landed them in court. I am reminded of a case in Wakefield, MA where an angry worker shot and killed a number of co-workers, which was featured on 60 Minutes. This man was involuntarily commited to a mental facility by a judge. After being released he went to a gun store and lied on the federal background check that he had never been adjudicated as a "mental defective". The police officer in the story indicated that he had no way to verify this because of current patient privacy laws. This needs to change. I realize that this can not prevent every tragedy. For instance, it is my understanding that the shooter in the Colorado movie theater was under the care of a psychiatrist, but otherwise had no legal record that would deny him his rights to buy a gun.

Jan 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: What media are you referring to? Most I've seen can't be bothered to spell check,...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

What media are you referring to? Most I've seen can't be bothered to spell check, much less fact check.

Remember these reprts from CT:

The shooter was named Ryan.

His mother was shot at the school.

His brother was shot in his home.

His father and girl friend were dead.

--hide--
Absolutely right Jerry. This case was the worst example of irresponsible news reporting that I've ever seen. Why? Because every news outlet was more interested in exploiting this tragedy for their own ratings. Getting the facts straight was secondary. More proof - DON'T BELIEVE THE LIBERAL MEDIA.

Jan 11th 2013 new
I agree with you, Ed. I believe that the problem is not that people are on these prescribed drugs, but that they are not, for whatever reason. The problem is especially among men who could benefit from treatment, but don't follow through with it, or don't follow a doctor's prescribed advice. Making this information public would not curb the issue, but create a more hostile attitude toward seeking treatment, when needed.

The media cannot offer a valid blanket opinion on who should be able to purchase firearms, and who not, as they do not own that expertise. Only the doctor of a particular individual could make a valid determination, and in such a deterent to a person's constitutional rights, probably it would be more take more than one doctor's opinion to deny constitutional rights.

The media is actually perpetuating more shootings in making this information so public. These are copycat crimes. Maybe the media can supply us with how copycat crimes can happen.

boggled
Jan 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: What do you think about the presentation and demeanor of the "medical examiner"? Here&#...
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: What do you think about the presentation and demeanor of the "medical examiner"?

Here's the video and transcript.

www.globalresearch.ca
--hide--

He appears to be putting on an act. http://www.crisisactors.org The Crisis acting school located in Denver is now in denial that they use their actors for live or "real world" events. This was posted after FAU Professor James Tracy said that crisis actors could have been used to further the gun control agenda. The question everyone should be asking is why is a acting school (?) even involved in terror drills (i.e.) mall shootings etc..?

From their own mouths..

Active Shooter Crisis Actors Target Mall Shootings via Visionbox

DENVER, CO, October 31, 2012 -- A new group of actors is now available nationwide for active shooter drills and mall shooting full-scale exercises, announced Visionbox, Denver's leading professional actors studio.

Visionbox Crisis Actors are trained in criminal and victim behavior, and bring intense realism to simulated mass casualty incidents in public places.

The actors’ stage acting experience, ranging from Shakespeare to contemporary American theater, enables them to "stay in character" throughout an exercise, and improvise scenes of extreme stress while strictly following official exercise scenarios.

The actors regularly rehearse scenarios involving the Incident Command System and crisis communications, and appear in interactive training films produced in both 2D and stereoscopic 3D.

Producers Jennifer McCray Rincon and John Simmons formed the group to demonstrate emerging security technologies, help first responders visualize life-saving procedures, and assist trainers in delivering superior hands-on crisis response training.

For example, with a large shopping center, the producers review all security camera views and design dramatic scenes specifically for existing camera angles, robotic camera sweeps, and manually-controlled camera moves.

The producers then work with the trainers to create a "prompt book" for the actors so that key scenario developments can be triggered throughout the mall shooting simulation, and caught on tape.

The actors can play the part of the shooters, mall employees, shoppers in the mall, shoppers who continue to arrive at the mall, media reporters and others rushing to the mall, and persons in motor vehicles around the mall.

Visionbox Crisis Actors can also play the role of citizens calling 911 or mall management, or posting comments on social media websites.

During the exercise, the producers use two-way radio to co-direct the Crisis Actors team from the mall dispatch center and at actors’ locations.

Within this framework, the exercise can test the mall's monitoring and communications systems, the mall's safety plan including lockdown and evacuation procedures, the ability of first responders and the mall to coordinate an effective response, and their joint ability to respond to the media and information posted on the Internet.

Security camera footage is edited for after-action reports and future training.

For more information visit www.Visionbox.org<.

Visionbox is a project of the Colorado Nonprofit Development Center. Crisis Actors is a project of the Colorado Safety Task Force established by Colorado State Senator Steve King.

Jan 12th 2013 new
(Quote) John-711000 said: He appears to be putting on an act. http://www.crisisactors.org The Crisis acting scho...
(Quote) John-711000 said:

He appears to be putting on an act. http://www.crisisactors.org The Crisis acting school located in Denver is now in denial that they use their actors for live or "real world" events. This was posted after FAU Professor James Tracy said that crisis actors could have been used to further the gun control agenda. The question everyone should be asking is why is a acting school (?) even involved in terror drills (i.e.) mall shootings etc..?

From their own mouths..

Active Shooter Crisis Actors Target Mall Shootings via Visionbox

DENVER, CO, October 31, 2012 -- A new group of actors is now available nationwide for active shooter drills and mall shooting full-scale exercises, announced Visionbox, Denver's leading professional actors studio.

Visionbox Crisis Actors are trained in criminal and victim behavior, and bring intense realism to simulated mass casualty incidents in public places.

The actors’ stage acting experience, ranging from Shakespeare to contemporary American theater, enables them to "stay in character" throughout an exercise, and improvise scenes of extreme stress while strictly following official exercise scenarios.

The actors regularly rehearse scenarios involving the Incident Command System and crisis communications, and appear in interactive training films produced in both 2D and stereoscopic 3D.

Producers Jennifer McCray Rincon and John Simmons formed the group to demonstrate emerging security technologies, help first responders visualize life-saving procedures, and assist trainers in delivering superior hands-on crisis response training.

For example, with a large shopping center, the producers review all security camera views and design dramatic scenes specifically for existing camera angles, robotic camera sweeps, and manually-controlled camera moves.

The producers then work with the trainers to create a "prompt book" for the actors so that key scenario developments can be triggered throughout the mall shooting simulation, and caught on tape.

The actors can play the part of the shooters, mall employees, shoppers in the mall, shoppers who continue to arrive at the mall, media reporters and others rushing to the mall, and persons in motor vehicles around the mall.

Visionbox Crisis Actors can also play the role of citizens calling 911 or mall management, or posting comments on social media websites.

During the exercise, the producers use two-way radio to co-direct the Crisis Actors team from the mall dispatch center and at actors’ locations.

Within this framework, the exercise can test the mall's monitoring and communications systems, the mall's safety plan including lockdown and evacuation procedures, the ability of first responders and the mall to coordinate an effective response, and their joint ability to respond to the media and information posted on the Internet.

Security camera footage is edited for after-action reports and future training.

For more information visit www.Visionbox.org<.

Visionbox is a project of the Colorado Nonprofit Development Center. Crisis Actors is a project of the Colorado Safety Task Force established by Colorado State Senator Steve King.

--hide--
If I participated in a double blind study and was shown the videos/audios and written transcripts of the medical examiner and the father who gave public statements...without any further information as to what this was all about...and asked only one question...to determine if these people were real participates in real events or actors, I would have, undoubtedly, said they were actors for multiple reasons.

There is a plethora of problems within so many elements of the Sandy Hook story.
Jan 12th 2013 new

(Quote) ED-20630 said: Just one thought concerning a more intrusive background of the mental health of a potential gun owner...
(Quote) ED-20630 said:

Just one thought concerning a more intrusive background of the mental health of a potential gun owner applicant....

The whole idea of more intrusive background checks could have bad unintended consequences. Perhaps there are many relatively normal and stable people who really would benefit from some counseling sessions for their personal problems (of any sort), veterans seeking counseling as they return from war, police officers after a shooting, or perhaps people with problems in their marriage that may intentionally avoid seeking professional help if they believe that such an action could keep them from owning a gun in the future.

Intensifying such background checks could result in a "less well" society if it results in people avoiding beneficial counceling. I don't really have a solution for this, but I think that we should be very careful that in addressing one problem, we do not create a bigger societal problem.

This perdicament is somewhat similar to a Catholic taking advantage of the Sacrament of Reconciliation. How many Catholics would confess their worst sins if they knew that the government would/could compel the priest to provide all the details of the confession?

Just my thoughts.

Ed

--hide--
Ed, I think just like when you want to get a certain kind of license. You have to get a form filled out by a doctor. Stating that you are mentally and Physically able to drive. A class 3 and class 1 license require this form. Why can't we make this, also a requirement to have a gun. Then only your doctor would know and no one else. This would be so easy to put into practice and I'm sure a doctor is not going to fill out this form if he things there is any chance you would hurt anyone or yourself. Will there still be mistakes, yes but nothing is perfect, but this would be as close as we could get.

Jan 12th 2013 new
(Quote) Thomas-699657 said: Ed, I think just like when you want to get a certain kind of license. You have to get a form filled out by a ...
(Quote) Thomas-699657 said:

Ed, I think just like when you want to get a certain kind of license. You have to get a form filled out by a doctor. Stating that you are mentally and Physically able to drive. A class 3 and class 1 license require this form. Why can't we make this, also a requirement to have a gun. Then only your doctor would know and no one else. This would be so easy to put into practice and I'm sure a doctor is not going to fill out this form if he things there is any chance you would hurt anyone or yourself. Will there still be mistakes, yes but nothing is perfect, but this would be as close as we could get.

--hide--

What if the persons mental status changes after a Doctor certified the person to be ok? I knew someone who was once an avid hunter but she experienced a loss in her life and she ended up using a hunting rife to commit suicide....so circumstances do change....right, wrong or indifferent......
Jan 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Thomas-699657 said: Ed, I think just like when you want to get a certain kind of license. You have to get a form fil...
(Quote) Thomas-699657 said:

--hide--

What are the objective psychological criteria that should disqualify one from owning a firearm?

What is the recourse if your physician happens to object to forearm ownership and decides he will never sign-off on such?

Or, worse yet, their employers or the AMA pressure them to be very restrictive on those they sign-off on?

Jan 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: What are the objective psychological criteria that should disqualify one from owning a fi...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

What are the objective psychological criteria that should disqualify one from owning a firearm?

What is the recourse if your physician happens to object to forearm ownership and decides he will never sign-off on such?

Or, worse yet, their employers or the AMA pressure them to be very restrictive on those they sign-off on?

--hide--
I didn't say it was perfect. I mean look at all the bad doctors giving out pain medicine, but it might help. Banning some kinds of guns will not work. Could not a doctor stop me from driving a truck if he wants??? Yet it is the law here, your not going to drive without the form filled out. There are a lot of things we need or want to be able to do, that you need a doctors approval for. I think something can be figured out that would be fair, or the Governments going to start taking away peoples guns. Then we are going to have some big problems, if they try to do this.

Posts 31 - 40 of 87