Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

In the first of this topic, Lisa 910908 wrote, "Yes, but note that the priest uses sacramental water to wash his hand and wash away his sins. There's a big difference."

There is nothing special about the water used by the Priest at the offertory when he washes his hands. It is not blessed, so in that sense it is not "sacramental water."

In the Extraordinary form of the Mass, the priest cleans the patent used by the altar server under the chin of the communicant as well as the patent on which the large host he uses at the Consecration rested by brushing any flakes of the host that might be there with his index finger into the chalice. He then holds the chalice with the thumb and index fingers of both hands extended over the chalice while the alter server pours water over his fingers into the chalice. In that way any residue of the hosts on his fingers are washed off. He then drinks the water and wipes the chalice dry.

You could refer to the water in the chalice as "sacramental water," at this point because it may contain crumbs from the consecrated hosts as well as minute drops of the consecrated wine. But until it was poured over his fingers, there was nothing special about the water.

This is not a practice in the Novus Ordo.

Jan 10th 2013 new

what specifically is not a practice in the ordinary form?

Jan 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: In the first of this topic, Lisa 910908 wrote, "Yes, but note that the priest uses sacramenta...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

In the first of this topic, Lisa 910908 wrote, "Yes, but note that the priest uses sacramental water to wash his hand and wash away his sins. There's a big difference."

There is nothing special about the water used by the Priest at the offertory when he washes his hands. It is not blessed, so in that sense it is not "sacramental water."

In the Extraordinary form of the Mass, the priest cleans the patent used by the altar server under the chin of the communicant as well as the patent on which the large host he uses at the Consecration rested by brushing any flakes of the host that might be there with his index finger into the chalice. He then holds the chalice with the thumb and index fingers of both hands extended over the chalice while the alter server pours water over his fingers into the chalice. In that way any residue of the hosts on his fingers are washed off. He then drinks the water and wipes the chalice dry.

You could refer to the water in the chalice as "sacramental water," at this point because it may contain crumbs from the consecrated hosts as well as minute drops of the consecrated wine. But until it was poured over his fingers, there was nothing special about the water.

--hide--

I was with you until the last sentence. At least when I was an altar seerver in the early days of the NO (early 70s), the priest washed his fingers as described after Holy Communion was distributed. And, yes, the water used was ordinary, unblessed tap water.

One difference in practice between the EF and OF is that in the EF the priest holds his thumb and forefinger together from the elevation of the host at the consecration until the ablution of the fingers after Communion.

Jan 10th 2013 new
Our priests hold their fingers together until ablution after Holy Communion too. They are very reverent and aware of the blessing and Sacrament we are partaking in.
Jan 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: Our priests hold their fingers together until ablution after Holy Communion too. They are very reverent...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: Our priests hold their fingers together until ablution after Holy Communion too. They are very reverent and aware of the blessing and Sacrament we are partaking in.
--hide--

Thanks Rachel. I should have been specific: holding the thumb and forefinger together from the consecration to the ablution is part of the rubrics for the EF (i.e., it is required). It is not part of the rubrics for the OF; however, it is permissible and it is becoming increasingly common for priest to do so out of personal reverence for the Blessed Sacrament, especially (but not exclusively) those who also offer the EF.

Jan 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: In the first of this topic, Lisa 910908 wrote, "Yes, but note that the priest uses sacramenta...

--hide--
If anyone has time this archbishop explains how it was and how it should be in handling the Eucharist. He hits all the reason why it happened and why it should change. He also explains how it has caused great damage to all because of the abuses. I never herd anyone explain it any better. Thank God for him and I hope and pray others listen and do something about it. it's almost and hour long but worth the time to hear why this is so inportant to all. Praying rosary theheart theheart

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: I was with you until the last sentence. At least when I was an altar seerver in the early...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

I was with you until the last sentence. At least when I was an altar seerver in the early days of the NO (early 70s), the priest washed his fingers as described after Holy Communion was distributed. And, yes, the water used was ordinary, unblessed tap water.

One difference in practice between the EF and OF is that in the EF the priest holds his thumb and forefinger together from the elevation of the host at the consecration until the ablution of the fingers after Communion.

--hide--

I have never seen a priest wash his fingers after communion at NO Mass. All I have seen them do, except on EWTN, is return the unused hosts to the tabernacle, wipe the chalice and his Paten and go sit down while the Alter Servers clear the altar.

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Thomas-699657 said: If anyone has time this archbishop explains how it was and how it should be in handling the Euch...
(Quote) Thomas-699657 said:

If anyone has time this archbishop explains how it was and how it should be in handling the Eucharist. He hits all the reason why it happened and why it should change. He also explains how it has caused great damage to all because of the abuses. I never herd anyone explain it any better. Thank God for him and I hope and pray others listen and do something about it. it's almost and hour long but worth the time to hear why this is so inportant to all.

--hide--

Which Archbishop are you referring to?

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Matthew-58107 said: what specifically is not a practice in the ordinary form?
(Quote) Matthew-58107 said:

what specifically is not a practice in the ordinary form?

--hide--

??????

Can you put your question in context, please?

There are a lot of things done in the Extraordinary Form that is not done in the NO and vice versa.

Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: I have never seen a priest wash his fingers after communion at NO Mass. All I have seen them do, e...

I have never seen a priest wash his fingers after communion at NO Mass. All I have seen them do, except on EWTN, is return the unused hosts to the tabernacle, wipe the chalice and his Paten and go sit down while the Alter Servers clear the altar.

--hide--

I just checked the GIRM and there is nothing about ablution of the fingers. I don't know if the rubrics have changed in the intervening 40 years or if the priests back then washed their fingers because it was their long-standing practice.

Posts 1 - 10 of 15