Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Complimentary Personalities?

Jan 10th 2013 new

I met a guy on here whose personality was strongly choleric like me. Though I ended things for other reasons, I realized we were TOO alike. The do's and don't's on here for relating to each other were the same. How weird. People have commented that I'd be better off with someone who was more laid back and passive in some aspects. It did get me thinking. What personality would compliment you? Would you rather someone be similar to you, or would that make you clash with each other?

wave

Jan 10th 2013 new

I feel that in general I fit better with someone who has a different personality mix than I do, at least with the dominant personality. I really think I prefer a bit of complementarity over being very close to the same type.

The last guy I dated on CM didn't do the temperament test until after we'd already broken up. We are still friends, however, and being curious about it I asked him to humor me and take it. Turns out we had practically the same temperament ratio. eyepopping I think it was off by only 1 or 2%! That confirmed a lot of things I'd previously thought about us as a couple- there were definitely some difficulties that arose from both of us being strongly phlegmatic, having similar general areas of weakness. etc.

Not having personality tests for other people in my life, I'd have to guess that those people I've found the best complementarity with are predominantly choleric, maybe with a melancholic secondary temperament (that's my secondary temperament also). My roommate from college, who is still one of my best friends, definitely fit that profile. We complemented each other spectacularly, and she ended up marrying someone that we all joked was the male version of me. And just today I was talking with someone from work who commented how much she appreciated how she and her husband's personalities balanced each other out. I think there's a lot to be said for complementarity.

Jan 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Laura-896845 said: I feel that in general I fit better with someone who has a different personality mix than I do, a...
(Quote) Laura-896845 said:

I feel that in general I fit better with someone who has a different personality mix than I do, at least with the dominant personality. I really think I prefer a bit of complementarity over being very close to the same type.

The last guy I dated on CM didn't do the temperament test until after we'd already broken up. We are still friends, however, and being curious about it I asked him to humor me and take it. Turns out we had practically the same temperament ratio. I think it was off by only 1 or 2%! That confirmed a lot of things I'd previously thought about us as a couple- there were definitely some difficulties that arose from both of us being strongly phlegmatic, having similar general areas of weakness. etc.

Not having personality tests for other people in my life, I'd have to guess that those people I've found the best complementarity with are predominantly choleric, maybe with a melancholic secondary temperament (that's my secondary temperament also). My roommate from college, who is still one of my best friends, definitely fit that profile. We complemented each other spectacularly, and she ended up marrying someone that we all joked was the male version of me. And just today I was talking with someone from work who commented how much she appreciated how she and her husband's personalities balanced each other out. I think there's a lot to be said for complementarity.

--hide--

laughing See what we've been doing wrong! Dating the same temperaments!!!

Jan 10th 2013 new

Hi
Great question! I have never had a similar personality as a match and since I am very high sanguine I woud bask in the delight of another sanguine!
It is difficult for myself dealing with the negativity that sometimes come from opposing personalities. Even though I am happy, easy going and just go with it, it can grate on my nerves and cramps my love for living.

Sanguines out there love to hear from you !wink

Jan 10th 2013 new

Ok. You guys have me curious. I am sanguine dominant with choleric. What would be my complimentary personality type. I tend be attracted to guys who are very funny (goofy truth be told) but have a serious side and know what they want in life( I guess that is a dominant personality trait) Maybe that's all wrong for me boggled

Jan 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: See what we've been doing wrong! Dating the same temperaments!!!
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:

See what we've been doing wrong! Dating the same temperaments!!!

--hide--

Heck, I've been trying. If you, as a choleric, can figure out how I can get the interesting, age-appropriate man-cholerics to cooperate and take notice, let me know! boggled

Jan 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Laura-896845 said: Heck, I've been trying. If you, as a choleric, can figure out how I can get the ...
(Quote) Laura-896845 said:

Heck, I've been trying. If you, as a choleric, can figure out how I can get the interesting, age-appropriate man-cholerics to cooperate and take notice, let me know!

--hide--

laughing Wait, so you aren't interested in 50 year old cholerics? I mean, I just want to make sure what "age-appropriate" means to you... lol What about the "pants thing"? Should I check on that as well? wink

Jan 10th 2013 new
Tara,

That's one of the things I check on men's profile, their temperament. I do not know which one is my matching personality, but I refuse to look at anybody who has a big percentage of his personality choleric. I have enough choleric tantrums. I don't want to deal with anybody elses.
Jan 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: I met a guy on here whose personality was strongly choleric like me. Though I ended things for oth...

I met a guy on here whose personality was strongly choleric like me. Though I ended things for other reasons, I realized we were TOO alike. The do's and don't's on here for relating to each other were the same. How weird. People have commented that I'd be better off with someone who was more laid back and passive in some aspects. It did get me thinking. What personality would compliment you? Would you rather someone be similar to you, or would that make you clash with each other?

--hide--

Ugh, I'm realizing I spelled it wrong.... COMPLEMENTARY.... Bad, Tara.

Jan 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: I met a guy on here whose personality was strongly choleric like me. Though I ended things for oth...

--hide--
The short answer to your question is, "Yes." scratchchin (I'm thinking about this from the outside looking in.....)

Both people too laid back? Result could = couch potatoes. They might be content with that, or they'll have to persuade themselves to be involved in some meaningful activities.

Both people very aggressive? Could lead to discontent if their enthusiastic pursuits differ considerably.

One laid back + one aggressive? Balance -- but both have to meet each other part way. They can enter each other's world and appreciate what each has to offer. Participation by both can more readily lead to balance.

Myself? Find someone like me? Ooohhh - that's scary..... shocked lil mikie laughing

Posts 1 - 10 of 71