Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Dec 24th 2012 new

(Quote) Lucia-866196 said: Thomas and Rachel, I work with teenagers and children. There are ways we even have to put the wo...
(Quote) Lucia-866196 said: Thomas and Rachel,

I work with teenagers and children. There are ways we even have to put the words of God in ways they understand. The same way we were taught chatechism is not the same way we do it now a day. The same way I started teacher twenty something years ago is not the same way I do it now. We need to use different ways and tools to do it. Each set of child comes to us with a different story. Some of them are good, but some of them are not. May be it was a child whose life has been devasted by adults action that painted these people's face. By celebrating mass with their face painted, they were trying to make them feel better. Some times children are better than us adult, they treat others with compassion. I guess that's what Jesus said we have to be like children again in order to enter the kingdom of God.

Only God has the right to judge others. Our right is to pray for others who we think are doing the wrong thing. Only God can change us with his love, not us. Our priests say that instead of talking to one of our loved ones about God. Instead we should be talking to God about them. We already had an encounter with God and little by little he has been changing us into the people he wants to be. We also want the samething for our loved ones.
--hide--

Lucia, I will Just have to disagree with you and I will leave you something to read when you have a chance . Have a Merry Christmas and enjoy the read. www.catholicbible101.com

Dec 24th 2012 new
Ok. Im now going to get shot. The teaching of children religion or for that matter anything else has been an object failure over the past fourty years. So much so that the SATs have been dumbed down. Children reach the age for confirmation and cant list the ten commandments! So these " new methods" are not working. We are hung up on pop phsycology or some other fad. We have decided that children learn differntly than they used to. Problem is children learn much faster than the teachers!! Teach them the faith and treat them older than they are. Make them work!! Children need challange not fluff!! Dumbing down everything has not worked. Time to fix it. Oh and while childrens Masses may be licit, they do Not do them a service. Fads are just that Fads.
Dec 25th 2012 new
Tim,

I am not talking about dumbing things for children and teenagers. I was talking about talking in ways they understand us. We are competing with electronic gadges, fast pacing culture etc. If we do not try to talk their language, then we do not get their attention. If we do not get their attention, then we will not be able to teach them anything. I rather talk their language and have them learn the ten commandments and other church doctrine than have them being turn off and not get them to learn the wonderful teaching Jesus left us.
Jan 9th 2013 new
Liturgical Dance -- Very Much Alive. eyepopping eyepopping

rorate-caeli.blogspot.com eyepopping eyepopping
Jan 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Helen-450889 said: rorate-caeli.blogspot.com
--hide--

The priest stands in the person of Christ when he offers the Mass. These pictures are very disturbing to me. Dressing up as clowns contradicts the seriousness of the Mass. The visual message presented in those pictures is difficult for me to decipher. The children must be totally confused. The Mass is about God's sacrificial love so great that He allowed his Son to die for us. How can that possibly translate to the clown paint and attire of the priest? This is very disturbing. I'm afraid that the intent of Vatican II has been lost in the application of Vatican II. It is no wonder that being Catholic no longer has consequences in the American Catholic Church. One can promote the death of the unborn and mock the mass with no consequences from the Hierarchy. I am confident God continues to be the same even after Vatican II. The present state of the Church leaves me longing for days gone by.

Very disturbing.

- Elizabeth

Jan 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Helen-450889 said: Liturgical Dance -- Very Much Alive. rorate-caeli.blogspot.com.
(Quote) Helen-450889 said: Liturgical Dance -- Very Much Alive.

rorate-caeli.blogspot.com
--hide--
What is that shape in the circle??? Is that a pentagon you know a Freemason symbol??? You should have watched EWTN live tonight, there was an Arch bishop on and he gave the reasons for things like this and why they are happening and it all starts with the Eucharist. it will be on there YouTube in maybe a couple of days, it is worth the watch and answers all this garbage going on in our Church. Lets just say it has to do with reverence, not making people feel good about them selves when they are doing wrong.

Jan 11th 2013 new

--hide--

Hi Helen, I am just learning about the Catholic faith....so no expert here...but I don't understand the big deal. There is not enough enformation here. These picture are from Italy. Italy(Europe) has very different culture than ours...and this may mean something to them that it doesn't mean to us. I used to live there. I know this for a fact. If someone was taking photos, it is implying to me that this is not their 'normal' mass...there may be a certain celebration. I have seen local culture mixed into mass on many occasions. One being the, (and I forgot the name of the term here...but when an diocese get a new bishop)...there is a special mass...anyway, it was for a new bishop in the Dakotas. They had Native America drumming as part of the ceremony/mass. This was televised on EWTN. I was amazingly classy and beautiful. All I am saying is these photos don't say much without information attached to them.

Jan 11th 2013 new
You quoted the link with all the pictures. Yet, you may have been referring to the one with the video. Which one?

I understand about cultural dance. I grew up on the Mexican border. The Matachines date back to 1531. The dance starts outside the church.

There is tradition to the Matachines for almost 500 years. The Tilma was used in a parade of thanksgiving to Our Lady Of Guadalupe for saving the Mexican people from paganism.

In celebration, one of the dancers shot an arrow into the sky. When it landed, it killed another dancer. They took the body to the foot of the Tilma and prayed. He came back to life.
Jan 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Helen-450889 said: You quoted the link with all the pictures. Yet, you may have been referring to the one with the video. W...
(Quote) Helen-450889 said: You quoted the link with all the pictures. Yet, you may have been referring to the one with the video. Which one?

I understand about cultural dance. I grew up on the Mexican border. The Matachines date back to 1531. The dance starts outside the church.

There is tradition to the Matachines for almost 500 years. The Tilma was used in a parade of thanksgiving to Our Lady Of Guadalupe for saving the Mexican people from paganism.

In celebration, one of the dancers shot an arrow into the sky. When it landed, it killed another dancer. They took the body to the foot of the Tilma and prayed. He came back to life.
--hide--

That sounds amazing, now that would make an interesting thread...the cultural ties we have seen and experienced in relation to the church. When I was living in Barcelona there was a certain dance the Catalan people would do outside the Cathedrals. These are very old dances and the Catalan dance and language was outlawed during the Franco period. (From what I remember, that is)!.

ummm...I am not sure what you are referring to about a video...I only saw photos when I clicked on the link you put in your initial post. I think some people made reference to it being for children or something. There is no reference to what it regarding (face paint etc)...that is all I was saying....there didn't seem to be much information. I think anyone can post some pictures out of context and make something look like it isn't. That was my only point. I never even assumed the paint on face was pagan or for children, my assumption was that it was something cultural. But I do not know...which was my point. Anyway, I would like to hear more about your experiences on the Mexican boarder. Sounds interesting!

PS- there was also some very interesting things I saw in Sweden...in relation to St Lucy I believe. Candles in the hair and everything...I was just a backpacker and had NO idea what this was all about...I think I saw the girls in a train station...I'm not Catholic, so lot's of this is new to me...but I saw reference to this on EWTN.

Jan 11th 2013 new
See the post from 1-9 at 4:19 pm. There is another video about liturgical dance.

In the Roman Catholic Church, this kind of liturgical dance is highly frowned upon.

The pictures have absolutely nothing to do with culture.
Posts 31 - 40 of 55