Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

I just read this article and was greatly moved by the idea that our justice system even has this possibility... it's not something that's talked about widely in our country where Eye for an eye reigns... What do you think about this?

www.nytimes.com

Jan 10th 2013 new

There's a book called "Touching Spirit Bear" that describes a similar justice system. I don't think it is widely known because it obviously takes special people to agree to go through it together. This is an incredible story and my heart aches for all those involved in this tragic loss. Thank you for sharing it. The parents are remarkable Christians. It was mentioned it is used in less serious crimes. I can see where it would be a benefit especially with younger kids rather than throwing them into a hostile prison environment where they come out much worse.

Jan 11th 2013 new
Just read the article. Wow. Funny how once you become aware of a topic you start to bump into it everywhere. One of our priests is going for his doctorate and his thesis is on the Eucharist as a means of healing and reconciliation between parties that are joined together by a tragedy.
Jan 12th 2013 new

Hi Gabriela and welcome to the forums! That's awesome that he's doing that, the Eucharist is definitely something that I feel can heal any hurt if we allow God's grace to change us from within. I think we need more people who believe like that and then, maybe we wouldn't have so many people who are lifelong inmates.

Jan 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Kathy-635104 said: There's a book called "Touching Spirit Bear" that describes a similar justice syste...
(Quote) Kathy-635104 said:

There's a book called "Touching Spirit Bear" that describes a similar justice system. I don't think it is widely known because it obviously takes special people to agree to go through it together. This is an incredible story and my heart aches for all those involved in this tragic loss. Thank you for sharing it. The parents are remarkable Christians. It was mentioned it is used in less serious crimes. I can see where it would be a benefit especially with younger kids rather than throwing them into a hostile prison environment where they come out much worse.

--hide--

You're completely right, Kathy, I have worked with children with emotional and behavior disorders in the past who are one step away from getting themselves into the prison system and it's heartbreaking not to be able to help them in a more positive light because even though they appear tough and hardened on the outside, you know that somewhere within them there's a seed of good. The connection from what they do and how it affects others is a big part of what tends to be missing from their view of the world.

Jan 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-844048 said: I just read this article and was greatly moved by the idea that our justice system even has thi...
(Quote) Jessica-844048 said:

I just read this article and was greatly moved by the idea that our justice system even has this possibility... it's not something that's talked about widely in our country where Eye for an eye reigns... What do you think about this?

www.nytimes.com

--hide--

Wow, there are no words that can describe how deeply moved I am. The Grosmaire's are the Salt of the earth. They could have chosen to see the state go as far as to sentence Conor McBride to death. But instead they chose life. In fact I would think that it would be easier for a woman to humble herself enough to chose not to terminate an unwanted pregnancy, than for many other parents in the grosmaires situation to forgive and show real love towards the perpetrator in a case like this. I am never going to forget this post.

Posts 1 - 6 of 6