Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

States leaving union if federal government continues ‘radicalized, abusive’ pattern

Read more: dailycaller.com
Jan 12th 2013 new

Doubt it.

Was tried 150 years ago. Didn't work out so well.

Jan 12th 2013 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: Doubt it. Was tried 150 years ago. Didn't work out so well.
(Quote) John-336509 said:

Doubt it.

--hide--

I have to agree with John (much as it pains me), simply because I don't think very many people have the guts to throw everything they have even for the Constitution.

We are the Hollow Men T.S. Elliot wrote of.

Jan 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: I have to agree with John (much as it pains me), simply because I don't think very ...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

I have to agree with John (much as it pains me), simply because I don't think very many people have the guts to throw everything they have even for the Constitution.

We are the Hollow Men T.S. Elliot wrote of.

--hide--

mischievous

So just out of curiosity, does it pain you becuase of the point, or because it's me? scratchchin

stir the pot! Its getting cold!

Jan 12th 2013 new

(Quote) John-336509 said: Doubt it. Was tried 150 years ago. Didn't work out so well.
(Quote) John-336509 said:

Doubt it.

--hide--

It was tried 150 years ago for a different set of problems all together. Yes it hinged on States rights versus the right of the federal government, but with the things that this administration is throwing out, religious freedom, gun rights, and even the creation of a nation that is completely reliant upon them for their daily bread as well as any unnessecary wants I truly don't know what will happen. I am still young, but I have been around people who are much wiser than I am about these things who are wondering when the breaking point is going to be reached, because there is going to be a point where people will not be able to accept the infringement upon their rights and what happens then?

Jan 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: States leaving union if federal government continues ‘radicalized, abusive’ pattern
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

States leaving union if federal government continues ‘radicalized, abusive’ pattern

Read more: dailycaller.com

--hide--
Secede? No, but I imagine these folks would consider moving to Texas if New York keeps moving toward a police state:

video.foxnews.com

Jan 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-844048 said: It was tried 150 years ago for a different set of problems all together. Yes it hi...
(Quote) Jessica-844048 said:

It was tried 150 years ago for a different set of problems all together. Yes it hinged on States rights versus the right of the federal government, but with the things that this administration is throwing out, religious freedom, gun rights, and even the creation of a nation that is completely reliant upon them for their daily bread as well as any unnessecary wants I truly don't know what will happen. I am still young, but I have been around people who are much wiser than I am about these things who are wondering when the breaking point is going to be reached, because there is going to be a point where people will not be able to accept the infringement upon their rights and what happens then?

--hide--

I don't think the problems were as different as you think. Taxation was one of the major complaints of the south. Southern planters were paying higher prices because of protective tariffs that were benefiting northern industry. Slavery was (from the South's point of view) an economic issue, and they resented the threats to their economy. Just as you are viewing the current administration's policies on religion and gun rights as an invasion of your ability to live your life as you choose, the South likewise viewed abolitionism as an invasion of their right to live their lives as they chose. Yes, the exact details are different between now and then, but it's still a pretty similar stage.

One key difference between the time periods, and a difference that tends to dramatically lesson the chance of rebellion, is that in the mid 19th century, many people, especially in the South, viewed their allegiance as going to their state first, the country second. Today that is completely reversed. I'd dare say that most citizens of the U.S. view themselves as citizens of U.S., but their state affiliation doesn't matter to them much more than their county or township affiliations; something to be easily changed as the circumstances call for.

Things will have to get significantly worse before there is any widespread support for rebellion.

Jan 12th 2013 new
This our country, not the federal governments. We can reduce the negative impact the federal government has by nullification at the state, county and individual level. Our founding fathers wrote the 10th Amendment to underline the fact that all rights not explicitly granted to the federal government are reserved for the states and we the people.
Jan 12th 2013 new

(Quote) Grant-863644 said: This our country, not the federal governments. We can reduce the negative impact the federal government ...
(Quote) Grant-863644 said: This our country, not the federal governments. We can reduce the negative impact the federal government has by nullification at the state, county and individual level. Our founding fathers wrote the 10th Amendment to underline the fact that all rights not explicitly granted to the federal government are reserved for the states and we the people.
--hide--

We could "reduce the negative impact..." by doing any number of illigal or immoral things, nullification among them. The 10th Ammendment is not, and was never intended to be, carte blanche to ignore the Federal government. If that is what the Founding Fathers had intended, they wouldn't have bothered making said government in the first place.

Posts 1 - 9 of 9