Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Any suggestions for how not to get tongue tied on the first date, so it's not the following script.

Man: What do you like to do?

Woman: I like reading. What about you?

Man: What do you like eating?

Woman: What about you?

How can a guy who isn't exactly the best conversationalist at first get his date to open up and talk about herself? Any ideas ladies?
Jan 12th 2013 new
(Quote) John-220051 said: Any suggestions for how not to get tongue tied on the first date, so it's not the following script.
(Quote) John-220051 said: Any suggestions for how not to get tongue tied on the first date, so it's not the following script.

How can a guy who isn't exactly the best conversationalist at first get his date to open up and talk about herself? Any ideas ladies?
--hide--

Surely you converse with coworkers who are women? What do you say to them?
Jan 12th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Any suggestions for how not to get tongue tied on the first date, so it's not the following script. <...

--hide--

Just be yourself and allow yourself to step out of your comfort zone. It is obvious that this date means a lot to you as this the second time you posted about it. wink I am so truly happy for you biggrin

Jan 12th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Any suggestions for how not to get tongue tied on the first date, so it's not the following script. <...

--hide--

Hello John and all!

John the lady you are on a date with likes you enough to say yes to the date . Remember that wink . Also you have communicated with each other prior to the date so think about those communications and ask questions based on those talks. First dates are often highly stressful for both men and women so I suggest not thinking of it as a first date . Simply as a meeting. This lowers the stress and allows you both to just be your selves. The questions you have are great starting points . If you are going to dinner ask if the lady has a special dish they she/he likes, or just simply ask questions like what is her idea of perfect day. REMEMBER you have spoken to this LADY or GENT they are not suddenly going to become some alien that you have no connection with or anything to talk about . Just focus on fun . Good luck! wink

Jan 12th 2013 new

--hide--

Hmm... maybe she's nervous. Or maybe y'all aren't personalities that mesh. If it's that much work to make someone talk, I don't know.... that's just awkward and not fun.

Jan 12th 2013 new

--hide--

Here are some for starters, John.

Where did you grow up?

What is your family like?

What do you like to do in your spare time?

Tell me about your job?

Good for you for wanted to know more about her. The last date I went on all he wanted to talk about was himself. After an hour an a half I was a bit bored and couldn't wait to go home. I couldn't believe I lasted that long.

- Elziabeth

Jan 12th 2013 new

--hide--

Read a book on how to be a good conversatioalist :)

Jan 12th 2013 new

--hide--

Be sure to proofread your script. heart

Jan 12th 2013 new

Follow-up questions.

Jan 12th 2013 new

If her response is "I like reading, what about you?" ... and the very next thing you say is "What do you like eating? ... then you messed up. BADLY.

Your response should be "I like to read as well! One of my favorite authors is _______! I like to read works by him/her because I think about _____ whenever I read about _______. And who are your favorite authors?

You should then show interest in what she likes to read... Shakespeare, Keats, etc. Ask a DEEPER question about what she responded with. And when she answers, then pause to think about what she said and respond with a thought, comment, or another question that goes DEEPER into the response she gave you.

example:

She: I like to read __________. Silence.

You: Oh, what do you like about __________?

She: I don't know. I just like to read. Silence.

You: __________ literature is something I don't know much about. Can you tell me a bit about _________?

She: Well, I like that he/she writes about ___________.

You: Oh, very nice! I never knew that much about this writing. How DO YOU FEEL when you read his/her works?

She: Makes me feel sad/happy/elated/vulnerable because it reminds me of __________....

So, in my opinion, for what its worth:

1.) Be able to go at least 2 or 3 layers deep into any topic that she enjoys. You should be able to do that regardless of what the subject is. It shows you are PRESENT. One word answers automatically deserve follow ups.

2.) Don't be worried or concentrating on the next question you want to ask her, because you wont be PAYING ATTENTION to what she is saying and you wont BE IN THE MOMENT.

If it is truly one word answers back and forth the whole night, then take my advice and move on.... Its not supposed to be hard work to communicate, especially at the earliest stages of a relationship.

(Quote) John-220051 said: Man: What do you like to do? Woman: I like reading. What about you? Man: What do you like eating...
(Quote) John-220051 said:

Man: What do you like to do? Woman: I like reading. What about you? Man: What do you like eating?
--hide--

Posts 1 - 10 of 25