Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Hi,

I would like to get the Catholic Bible for my Kindle. Any specific Kindle ebook suggestions and why? IF not Kindle, than do you have any other ebook format suggestions. Which translation do you prefer and why?

Jan 13th 2013 new
I bought the New American Bible, Revised Edition. It is pretty good, you can search for chapters and what not...and it was much easier than packing an actual bible (I'm deployed in AFG).

I also bought the Catechism and the Copiendum to the Catechism as well...the only book I actually bought was the Daily Roman Missal. It's been nice to read the daily readings before I pass out for the night.

Jon
Jan 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Jon-930321 said: I bought the New American Bible, Revised Edition. It is pretty good, you can search for chapters and what ...
(Quote) Jon-930321 said: I bought the New American Bible, Revised Edition. It is pretty good, you can search for chapters and what not...and it was much easier than packing an actual bible (I'm deployed in AFG).

I also bought the Catechism and the Copiendum to the Catechism as well...the only book I actually bought was the Daily Roman Missal. It's been nice to read the daily readings before I pass out for the night.

Jon
--hide--

Thanks Jon, The Kindle is more convenient for reading the Bible. I will look on Amazon for the New American Bible, Revised Edition. The Catechism on Kindle would be good too. Using the Kindle/ereader is much easier to carry and read more often.

Jan 13th 2013 new

I get some dirtly looks from the older folk at church...I think they think I'm reading something else haha.

Jan 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Sandra-871852 said: Hi, I would like to get the Catholic Bible for my Kindle. Any specific Kindle ebook sugge...
(Quote) Sandra-871852 said:

Hi,

I would like to get the Catholic Bible for my Kindle. Any specific Kindle ebook suggestions and why? IF not Kindle, than do you have any other ebook format suggestions. Which translation do you prefer and why?

--hide--

The first step is to become familiar with the different translations and then decide what your preferences are. Here are some useful rescources for that task:

www.aquinasandmore.com (Catholic)
www.ewtn.com (Catholic)
www.catholic.com (mostly Catholiv Bibles)

www.apbrown2.net (has a nice chart)

Translations available on-line:
www.biblestudytools.com

Multiple searchable versions and other Bible info (not Catholic, but does include Catholic Bibles):
www.biblegateway.com

Parallel translations (compare different versions side-by-side):
www.biblestudytools.com

Jan 13th 2013 new

I went with the one that was sold by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops...so it's Catholic legit, lol. The only other ones I know of that are Catholic approved are the Douy Reims, St. Joseph, and the Ignatious Bibles. Not sure if they are on Amazon or not though.

Good resources to check though...

Jon

Jan 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Jon-930321 said: I went with the one that was sold by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops...so it's...
(Quote) Jon-930321 said:

I went with the one that was sold by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops...so it's Catholic legit, lol. The only other ones I know of that are Catholic approved are the Douy Reims, St. Joseph, and the Ignatious Bibles. Not sure if they are on Amazon or not though.

Good resources to check though...

Jon

--hide--

It's always best to base decisions like this on direct data rather than indirect data (in this case, analysis of the actual text vs. the authority of the issuer). The USCCB are the same folks who brought you the old translation of the Mass that Rome rejected and replaced last year. Their Bible translation likewise has some issues.

Jan 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Sandra-871852 said: Hi, I would like to get the Catholic Bible for my Kindle. Any specific Kindle ebook sugge...
(Quote) Sandra-871852 said:

Hi,

--hide--

Although not for e-readers like the KIndle or Nook (for some reason it only works on desk top coputers), the Faitrh Data Base might be a resource you should consider. Among other things it containes a number of different versions of the BIble as well documents fromm the early church Fathers, the Cathechism, etc.

Jan 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: The first step is to become familiar with the different translations and then decide what...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

The first step is to become familiar with the different translations and then decide what your preferences are. Here are some useful rescources for that task:

www.aquinasandmore.com (Catholic)
www.ewtn.com (Catholic)
www.catholic.com (mostly Catholiv Bibles)

www.apbrown2.net (has a nice chart)

Translations available on-line:
www.biblestudytools.com

Multiple searchable versions and other Bible info (not Catholic, but does include Catholic Bibles):
www.biblegateway.com

Parallel translations (compare different versions side-by-side):
www.biblestudytools.com

--hide--

Jerry, I found the links very helpful. Thank you. There are many choices in Bibles for many different reasons.

The first link didn't work.

I have saved these links because of all the new-for me- information about the history of the Bible and different translations. I can compare the different translations with the online link. I may end up getting more than one Bible for my Kindle, if available. An ereader makes it easier to carry the a book/Bible and read anywhere. The font can be enlarged more than a large print Bible.

Jan 13th 2013 new

(Quote) Paul-866591 said: Although not for e-readers like the Kindle or Nook (for some reason it only works on desk...
(Quote) Paul-866591 said:

Although not for e-readers like the Kindle or Nook (for some reason it only works on desk top computers), the Faith Data Base might be a resource you should consider. Among other things it contains a number of different versions of the BIble as well documents from the early church Fathers, the Catechism, etc.

--hide--

Paul, I am going to search online and find out about the Faith Data Base. I do have a Kindle application on my PC and Netbook. I have the Kobo/Nook/Adobe Digital Editions PC applications too. I prefer reading from a computer or Ereader. I love books but realized they take up a lot of room, and are hard to part with when moving. Especially when some movers thought it would be a piece of cake to move my boxes and were so tired/exhausted at the end of the day because the boxes were filled with books. They asked, "What are you a librarian or something?" Now all my books are very lightweight!

Posts 1 - 10 of 25