Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jan 13th 2013 new

I was a senior in High School. There were rumors in the halls that Jackie Kennedy had been killed. No other details. Over the PA, the Principal requested that all students return to their home room immediately. Once there, our teacher told us that there had been a shooting in Dallas and to wait in the classroom for further announcements. The teacher was visibly shaken. Several minutes later, the Principal announced that President Kennedy had been assassinated in Dallas and school was dismissed. Everyone seemed to be in shock and we all gravitated to the outdoor plaza. We stood around, talking in hushed voices, and eventually we all left the campus without further announcements.

The following days were a fog, watching things on TV unfold in Dallas and Washington, D.C. I watched intently the immediate swearing in of President Lyndon Johnson, the flight back to D.C. with the president's body, the visits by Jackie and Caroline to the casket in the rotunda of the capital, the shooting of Lee Harvy Oswald and Jack Ruby, the funeral, and of course, John-John's salute to his father.

It was very surreal and a very difficult wake-up for my generation who revered JFK. The following years brought the murders of Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King. It was the death of Camelot and shaped my thinking forever.

Posts 11 - 11 of 11