Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion for anyone who adheres to the Extraordinary form of the mass and any issues related to the practices of Eastern Rite Catholicism.

Saint Athanasius is counted as one of the four Great Doctors of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Athanasius

Just venting...I lose my train of during thought when reading the The Nicene Creed and the line is changed to "..incarnate of the Virgin Mary,
and became human."

Is it offensive to state that Jesus was a man?

Thanks for listening!

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Norm-242638 said: Just venting...I lose my train of during thought when reading the The Nicene Creed and the line is...
(Quote) Norm-242638 said:

Just venting...I lose my train of during thought when reading the The Nicene Creed and the line is changed to "..incarnate of the Virgin Mary,
and became human."

Thanks for listening!

--hide--
Jesus was true God and true man. The new translation is more accurate than the previous words used, and came about after years of study. Perhaps your reason for venting is that it seems the change is unusual after countless years of reciting it using the previous translation.

Focus, Norm....focus..... biggrin

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Norm-242638 said: Just venting...I lose my train of during thought when reading the The Nicene Creed and the line is...

and became human."

Thanks for listening!

--hide--

As best I can tell, that phrase was changed from 'He was born of the Virgin Mary and became man' to '[he] was incarnate of the Virgin Mary and became man.'

Do you have a printed source that is using the word 'human', or is that just the way your priest is reciting the prayer?

Jan 14th 2013 new

and became human."

Thanks for listening!

--hide--

The official and approved language says, "... He became man ... ." Even the superseded translation said He became man.

If your parish or even an whole diocees is using, ".., and became human ... ." it is an unauthorised and erroneous translation.

If it bothers you, and it should, take it up with the pastor. If he is the cause of the problem, take it up with the chancery. If they don't listen send a letter directly to Cardinal George. If he can't or wont take action take it up with Rome.

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: As best I can tell, that phrase was changed from 'He was born of the Virgin Mary and ...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

As best I can tell, that phrase was changed from 'He was born of the Virgin Mary and became man' to '[he] was incarnate of the Virgin Mary and became man.'

Do you have a printed source that is using the word 'human', or is that just the way your priest is reciting the prayer?

--hide--

I believe he may be referring to free-lance members of the congregation,

who evidently consider themselves at liberty to adjust the words of the

Mass to suit their own taste.

Jan 14th 2013 new

and became human."

Thanks for listening!

--hide--
Yup, I forgot to bring up the word "human". Did you hear that word correctly? Incarnate is correct; human isn't.

Jan 14th 2013 new

Eventually, I'll get all of it out there...

You didn't mention who used the word "human". Is this how it's printed in your Mass booklets (Orders of Worship, or whatever else you're using)? Is the priest using the word "human", or is it a case where some people are still stumbling over the changes and you overheard someone next to you use the word "human"? Old habits can be difficult to break.

Jan 14th 2013 new

and became human."

Thanks for listening!

--hide--

Some interesting discussion of that very question:

forums.catholic.com

Jan 14th 2013 new
It's not just limited to the Roman rite. The Byzantine Archeparchy of Pittsburgh, which is semi-autonomous under canon law, instituted a gender neutral translation of the Divine Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom that was almost universally hated.

I know some people who changed parishes to the Ukrainians who use a different translation of the same liturgy to avoid it.
Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Kevin-40666 said: I believe he may be referring to free-lance members of the congregation, who evide...
(Quote) Kevin-40666 said:

I believe he may be referring to free-lance members of the congregation,

who evidently consider themselves at liberty to adjust the words of the

Mass to suit their own taste.

--hide--

Kevin you are correct.

Posts 1 - 10 of 25