Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Judge Jeanine Pirro says 'How Dare You?!' to The Journal News www.youtube.com.
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Judge Jeanine Pirro says 'How Dare You?!' to The Journal News

www.youtube.com
--hide--

Mary,

Jeanine was the Attorney assigned to my neice when she was a toddler. she was great and the Judge at the time... upheld my sister's parental rights and declared the father a sociopath with no rights to the child. (who is an adult today.)

Lillian Teresa

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: (Quote) Jerry-74383 said: A forearm can't do much if there is nobody ...
(Quote) Victor-544727 said:

Quote:
Jerry-74383 said:

A forearm can't do much if there is nobody home to fire it, no?

A forearm can't do anything if a hand holding a gun isn't attached to the end of it!

--hide--

Touche!

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Cathy-564420 said: Wow, talk about invasion of privacy and rights. Yo criminals. I have a gun, do you have ...
(Quote) Cathy-564420 said:

Wow, talk about invasion of privacy and rights.

Yo criminals. I have a gun, do you have a gun? Or worse case scenario, Yo criminals, I don't have a gun and come and get me because I'm defenseless Sort of like those big sky scraper buildings that post "This is a gun-free zone. No guns allowed." I don't know about you guys, but I am always looking over my shoulder upon entering thinking where are the crazies!

Talk about a false sense of security. It is asinine!

--hide--

Worse yet, if a criminal is intent on striking at a house where they know there are firearms, they may attack well-armed and with itchy trigger fingers, even if the occupants are not using the firearms for self defense at the time.

Or the occupants who owned the firearms move out and the new occupants do not own firearms.

Not to mention the potential for inviting vandalism from anti-gun protesters.

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Judge Jeanine Pirro says 'How Dare You?!' to The Journal News www.youtube.com.
(Quote) Mary-486033 said: Judge Jeanine Pirro says 'How Dare You?!' to The Journal News

www.youtube.com
--hide--

Awesome story. So true.

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Worse yet, if a criminal is intent on striking at a house where they know there are firea...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Worse yet, if a criminal is intent on striking at a house where they know there are firearms, they may attack well-armed and with itchy trigger fingers, even if the occupants are not using the firearms for self defense at the time.

Or the occupants who owned the firearms move out and the new occupants do not own firearms.

Not to mention the potential for inviting vandalism from anti-gun protesters.

--hide--

So having firearms in the house will likely escalate the violence if/when criminals decide to break in and will make the house an increased target for robbery from criminals who want more guns? I agree.

I agree that publishing the households that have guns is not a good idea, but I also think that not many households should have guns. More guns = more access to guns for people who shouldn't have them.

I have never heard of gun owners being significant victims of vandalism from anti-gun protestors.

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-189584 said: So having firearms in the house will likely escalate the violence if/when criminals decide to...
(Quote) Peter-189584 said:

So having firearms in the house will likely escalate the violence if/when criminals decide to break in and will make the house an increased target for robbery from criminals who want more guns? I agree.

I agree that publishing the households that have guns is not a good idea, but I also think that not many households should have guns. More guns = more access to guns for people who shouldn't have them.

I have never heard of gun owners being significant victims of vandalism from anti-gun protestors.

--hide--

Please use some basic reasoning skills and stop misrepresenting my comments in an attempt to support your political position.

The presence of firearms does not increase the risk of a house being targeted for theft of firearms; having the address on a list of houses identified as having firearms does. Note that firearms may not be present in all homes on the list for various reasons (occupants no longer own firearms, have moved, etc.).

While the presence of firearms may increase the level of violence in some attacks, they may decrease it in others (e.g., criminals give up when confronted by firearm-wielding occupant). In some cases where the level of violence does increase, it will be at the expense of the intruder -- a risk he or she accepted when they decided to commit the crime.

As for how the anti-gun protesters behave - we'll have to wait and see. Is anyone aware of similar situations in other locations and how they played out?

The statistics I have seen regarding violent crime rates and firearms ownership are pretty conclusive: overall, violent crime decreases when firearms ownership is increased,and it increases significantly when general ownership of firearms is banned (e.g., Australia).

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: Here's the original article where the map was published. www.lohud.com.

Here's the original article where the map was published. www.lohud.com

However, it was Gawker that took the next step last week when it published the actual names of the gun owners.

--hide--

I hope someone will go to the effort of comparing the original data to the published data to see if any firearm owners were omitted.

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Victor-544727 said: Here's the original article where the map was published. www.lohud.com.

Here's the original article where the map was published. www.lohud.com

However, it was Gawker that took the next step last week when it published the actual names of the gun owners.

--hide--

The map in the article you linked to also contains names.

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: Please use some basic reasoning skills and stop misrepresenting my comments in an attempt to suppo...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

Please use some basic reasoning skills and stop misrepresenting my comments in an attempt to support your political position.

The presence of firearms does not increase the risk of a house being targeted for theft of firearms; having the address on a list of houses identified as having firearms does. Note that firearms may not be present in all homes on the list for various reasons (occupants no longer own firearms, have moved, etc.).

While the presence of firearms may increase the level of violence in some attacks, they may decrease it in others (e.g., criminals give up when confronted by firearm-wielding occupant). In some cases where the level of violence does increase, it will be at the expense of the intruder -- a risk he or she accepted when they decided to commit the crime.

As for how the anti-gun protesters behave - we'll have to wait and see. Is anyone aware of similar situations in other locations and how they played out?

The statistics I have seen regarding violent crime rates and firearms ownership are pretty conclusive: overall, violent crime decreases when firearms ownership is increased,and it increases significantly when general ownership of firearms is banned (e.g., Australia).

--hide--

I am sure that we both agree that it may not be the actual presence of the firearms that increases the risk of a house being targeted for theft of firearms, but the knowledge that firearms exist (or are likely to exist) in a house...whether that be by the existence of a published map, or the blabbing of people who know of the existence of firearms in the house, or other characteristics of the house & yard or people who live there (i.e. NRA bumper sticker, deer hanging in the garage, military/police occupant, etc)

I disagree that the escalated violence of firearms in the home is usually at the expense of the intruder...I'm not sure if you were suggesting that or not, but I think you were, even if your exact wording was "in some cases" which is pretty much meaningless as that could mean in 1% of cases or 99% of cases. Not to mention that having extensive gun ownership for reasons other than casual hunting, sport shooting, or varmint control in rural areas, much increases the possibility of accidental or "crime of passion" shootings.

I haven't heard of any mass shootings in Australia, and very few in Canada or the UK. I have heard of several in the USA.

In any case, I feel fortunate to have always lived in areas where I did not FEAR my government and fellow humans to the extent that it seems many of you in the USA do. Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe I've lived in areas where common sense and respect for others is abundant.

Jan 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-189584 said: I would've thought many people who are against gun control would not be against these maps, a...
(Quote) Peter-189584 said:

I would've thought many people who are against gun control would not be against these maps, as if I was a burglar those would be the houses I would avoid so as to lower the likelihood of getting shot...

Maybe having guns in your house make you a target for criminals, rather than protecting you from them?? Interesting...

--hide--

Who would have thought that folks who want something done to crack down on the gun violence in our country would be stupid enough to provide these maps.

Posts 11 - 20 of 101