Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Native American names ...

Jan 14th 2013 new

I find Native American names to be interesting, creative and reflective of the person.

I don't worship nature or anything, although I do have an ecology degree, stewardship and all that.

I remember meeting one woman - her last name was Butterfly, so beautiful with her first name too.

If you could pick a natural descriptive last name what would it be?

Andrea Weedlover or Andrea Maplenut - I kind of like. (Note weedlover is not the drug kind, I like native plants).

Jan 14th 2013 new

I know of a Sun Leader Glows Brightly.

Jan 14th 2013 new

I've been told I have a touch of Native American in my background, of the Algonquin tribe. I have no proof though - just stories passed down from older generations. I don't know any of their names though.

My friends and an old boyfriend from the early 90's dubbed me "She Who Sleeps While Dancing" one evening when we were all out at a club. Long week, long day, we'd just left a formal party and decided to continue the fun. Low lights, slow song (Eric Clapton's " Wonderful Tonight" - still a favorite of mine), and a 6'5" gent holding me in his arms - I rested my head against his chest and that was it. rolling eyes

I'll never be able to shake that name - too many witnesses. laughing laughing

Jan 14th 2013 new

Saint  Kateri Tekakwitha Shrine

"Saint Kateri Tekakwitha Shrine"

Jan 14th 2013 new

(Quote) Mary-363093 said: I've been told I have a touch of Native American in my background, of the Algonquin tribe. I h...
(Quote) Mary-363093 said:

I've been told I have a touch of Native American in my background, of the Algonquin tribe. I have no proof though - just stories passed down from older generations. I don't know any of their names though.

My friends and an old boyfriend from the early 90's dubbed me "She Who Sleeps While Dancing" one evening when we were all out at a club. Long week, long day, we'd just left a formal party and decided to continue the fun. Low lights, slow song (Eric Clapton's " Wonderful Tonight" - still a favorite of mine), and a 6'5" gent holding me in his arms - I rested my head against his chest and that was it.

I'll never be able to shake that name - too many witnesses.

--hide--

I've been tld something similar, but we don't have enough blood to prove it!

I think if I had to choose one for myself it would be Jessica HealedStar

Jan 16th 2013 new

My grandfather was half Cherokee but because of predjudice and bad feelings that still existed in the Cherokee community at the time and "the depression" his family moved away from all that and became city dwellers. No interesting names though I guess they became totally assimilated into white culture for the most part. My grandparents later bought a farm in Cocker Mo close to where they grew up and were happiest but my grandfather (who looked like an old indian chief at the time) never talked about being Cherokee expect to say that some of our relatives did walk the "trail of tears" I could never even get the names of any of his family. Old wounds die hard.

Jan 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Andrea-368827 said: I find Native American names to be interesting, creative and reflective of the person. I ...
(Quote) Andrea-368827 said:

I find Native American names to be interesting, creative and reflective of the person.

I don't worship nature or anything, although I do have an ecology degree, stewardship and all that.

I remember meeting one woman - her last name was Butterfly, so beautiful with her first name too.

If you could pick a natural descriptive last name what would it be?

Andrea Weedlover or Andrea Maplenut - I kind of like. (Note weedlover is not the drug kind, I like native plants).

--hide--

Glad you clarified that weedlover thing. For a moment I was like WHAT???? rolling eyes laughing laughing laughing laughing

Jan 16th 2013 new

I grew up thinking the Mankiller family name was awesome, and then Wilma got to be chief! (Cherokee nation). A lot of family names used to mean something, you just don't realize it because of etymological shifts. My mother picked our names very carefully, Katherine Elaine (pure light) is me, my sister is "Fair lady full of mercy, grace, and prayer" when it's translated, and my brother is "Noble warrior, gift of God" in translation. My son I arrogantly named for my father, so he is "Noble Chieftan" in translation. Our surname comes from when people were dispersed from the "lost village" of Tidhere, so it's rather mysterious but we can trace our European family back to the Crusades fairly easily, also everyone with the last name I've run into is related to me fairly closely which is quite surprising in this day and time. The Cherokee side genealogy pretty well stops when the name changed over to a white name so he could be a policeman.

That said, when I pick names for games I tend to pick my own name or variants thereof as do my brother and sister; interesting that my mum took such care choosing names that we didn't feel the need to change them, even for nicknames in high school. I only had one nickname in college and it was comprised of my altered initials...gives me pause.

Jan 16th 2013 new

How about TalkingBull? laughing laughing laughing

Actually, we have a big Native American population here and I've heard the name RunningBear. I kinda like that!

Jan 16th 2013 new

Thank you for sharing your stories and names, some is humorous and some is history and some are saints.

And I don't mean to imply any disrespect.

I am sure these are a people that are still struggling and persevering today. Praying

(Much more for me to learn yet. )

Posts 1 - 10 of 15