Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Hello, I'm Rex, I am currently trying to enlist in the U.S. Navy. How can I tell if a woman is interested in me enough to stay in contact through phone calls and letters while on active duty in hopes that we become a couple and eventually get married. How would my absence of being with her in person affect how she views the relationship and her willingness to support my decision? I would love to be able to fight knowing I have a chance of true love waiting for me. I recently received a blessing from my priest and asked for protection. I have already made a vow to my self that I fight for my faith and my family and country, and hopefully love. I can handle a long distance relationship, my determination is as solid as the faith we all have in The Lord. My only hope would be that she feels the same. I have never posted in these forums before.
01/15/2013 new
(Quote) Rex-698637 said: Hello, I'm Rex, I am currently trying to enlist in the U.S. Navy. How can I tell if a woman is interested in me ...
(Quote) Rex-698637 said: Hello, I'm Rex, I am currently trying to enlist in the U.S. Navy. How can I tell if a woman is interested in me enough to stay in contact through phone calls and letters while on active duty in hopes that we become a couple and eventually get married. How would my absence of being with her in person affect how she views the relationship and her willingness to support my decision? I would love to be able to fight knowing I have a chance of true love waiting for me. I recently received a blessing from my priest and asked for protection. I have already made a vow to my self that I fight for my faith and my family and country, and hopefully love. I can handle a long distance relationship, my determination is as solid as the faith we all have in The Lord. My only hope would be that she feels the same. I have never posted in these forums before.
--hide--

You can make it work. My sister did it while my brother-in-law was in the Marines in Iraq. Now she's happily married to him with a year-old daughter.
01/15/2013 new

(Quote) Rex-698637 said: Hello, I'm Rex, I am currently trying to enlist in the U.S. Navy. How can I tell if a woman is interes...
(Quote) Rex-698637 said: Hello, I'm Rex, I am currently trying to enlist in the U.S. Navy. How can I tell if a woman is interested in me enough to stay in contact through phone calls and letters while on active duty in hopes that we become a couple and eventually get married. How would my absence of being with her in person affect how she views the relationship and her willingness to support my decision? I would love to be able to fight knowing I have a chance of true love waiting for me. I recently received a blessing from my priest and asked for protection. I have already made a vow to my self that I fight for my faith and my family and country, and hopefully love. I can handle a long distance relationship, my determination is as solid as the faith we all have in The Lord. My only hope would be that she feels the same. I have never posted in these forums before.
--hide--

Welcome to the forums, Rex!

If she is interested she will wait and willingly keep in touch with you. All you have to do is reach out and ask. Its really no different than reaching out to someone on here who lives far away. Plus, all things are possible through God. God Bless and good luck.

01/15/2013 new

You should be up front and honest with any girl you really like and let her know how it stands. She will either shy away (in which case you probably don't want her because she'll have terrible trouble with future deployments) or love you all the more for your committment to our troubled country. In all honesty, it will probably be the best thing for you! I have 7 friends who's husbands were deployed during their courtship, and they all married them anyway...and they have truly beautiful marraiges and several children each now.

01/15/2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-825244 said: You should be up front and honest with any girl you really like and let her know how it stands. S...
(Quote) Naomi-825244 said:

You should be up front and honest with any girl you really like and let her know how it stands. She will either shy away (in which case you probably don't want her because she'll have terrible trouble with future deployments) or love you all the more for your committment to our troubled country. In all honesty, it will probably be the best thing for you! I have 7 friends who's husbands were deployed during their courtship, and they all married them anyway...and they have truly beautiful marraiges and several children each now.

--hide--

I agree, Rex. I think you would have no difficulty with many women. I know of many successful military courtships, etc. from my time in the Reserve and mobilization. I will say if you are meeting and getting acquainted with women both online and in person, that it probably is fine if you are honest about your desire to serve. And thank you for your willingness to serve as well. I was an NCO-Personnelman in the USN.

I found it more difficult to meet women IN uniform, beyond the superficial types, and for that reason, rarely wore it except for military recognition events, when I was off the ship/off duty. (It was kind of funny--reservists enjoyed running errands, as permitted, and traveling in their dress uniforms. Active or extra drill reservists (military honors), stripped it off and hung it up as quickly as possible---faster than YN1 Diana Prince!!!!!

01/15/2013 new

(Quote) Rex-698637 said: Hello, I'm Rex, I am currently trying to enlist in the U.S. Navy. How can I tell if a woman is interes...
--hide--

Rex,

Welcome to the site.

I was active duty with the Air Force for nearly 15 years before going Reserves last year. True love can overcome all, but here is my experience. I will not sugar coat this.

I moved every two years on active duty. This made meeting a desirable woman difficult, as I was often placed in places far away from where you'd find many suitable single women. I had no say where I'd be stationed, went all over the world, and was not meeting good women ANYWHERE. Meanwhile, my clock was ticking, all my friends were married and having children, and I was alone. After some years, I chose to marry someone despite seeing some red flags before the engagement. I figured all women have their faults... We shared some hobbies, but had little in common for a meaningful marriage. She wasn't particularly faith filled, and I wasn't Catholic nor was I experienced in the ways of the world. The marriage lasted less than seven years, and was really over after the first year. We'd known each other via a long distance relationship for a few years before deciding to marry.

The military places very large demands on marriages, and makes it exruciatingly difficult to meet good women. It is even harder to find a woman who can accept your frequent absence if you're doing ship duty. Think about your course ahead if you join the Navy, and about the kind of woman you seek and whether there is a reasonable chance of finding her while you're dealing with military duties.

There are a few out there who can accept your military duties. I pray you will find one. :-)

Michael

01/15/2013 new

Go USA

(Quote) Michael-780154 said: The military places very large demands on marriages, and makes it exruciatingly difficult to me...
(Quote) Michael-780154 said:

The military places very large demands on marriages, and makes it exruciatingly difficult to meet good women. It is even harder to find a woman who can accept your frequent absence if you're doing ship duty. Think about your course ahead if you join the Navy, and about the kind of woman you seek and whether there is a reasonable chance of finding her while you're dealing with military duties.

There are a few out there who can accept your military duties. I pray you will find one. :-)

Michael

--hide--

Rex,,

welcome to the forums. I was in the Marines for 4yrs and i agree with a lot of what Michael said. The military does place a lot of demands on you and depending on your occupation you could be in all kind of situations that could make having a LDR relationship difficult. It's not impossible and as some have mentioned it has worked, but both people have to be very strong in their committment to each other.

One thing i can absolutely say is, your decision to be in the Navy has to be based on serving your country and without any concern about having someone "back home" otherwise it can mess up your head if things break off. The military is a great career with great opportunities. I wish you good luck in and in making the right choice for you. Semper Fi. Praying Go USA

Dave

Posts 1 - 7 of 7