Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share
For discussion that revolves around a place, state, or country.

I'm thinking about possibly moving to the Bay Area in a couple of years - primarily because it's a beautiful area with a variety of outdoor activities that I love. I'm getting bored in San Diego and want to explore something new, plus be closer to Tahoe to ski, but at the same time in good climate and close to the ocean.

I'm concerned though because the Bay Area is known as the most liberal region of the U.S. For those who live in this area, what do you think? Can a Catholic be happy in the Bay Area? Would San Jose be better than San Fran? Living in San Diego, I'm already pretty used to (what I consider) a liberal environment, and while I would love to live in a place where co-workers don't announce matter-of-factly that they went to the gay pride parade over the weekend, the climate here wins out at the moment. At least in most places here those who live such lifestyles don't flaunt them in front of my face. How is it in the Bay Area?

Jan 15th 2013 new

I live in the SF Bay Area, and have for the last 12 years. There are areas in SF where it is flaunted... be warned. But there's still a strong Catholic presence here.

Why don't you come up for the Walk for Life West Coast in a couple weeks? It'll give you a good chance to take a look around before or after.

Jan 15th 2013 new

Alex, thanks for your reply. I'm very limited on travel time being a single mom. But I do want to come out this summer for a few days and really take a good look around. Visit some good orthodox churches. Which ones do you recommend as being conservative (not necessarily with a TLM). I read that Our Lady of Peace in Santa Clara and St Dominic's in San Fran are solid places to go. Any others?

Jan 15th 2013 new

Hi Lisa,

You could also check out the area in the East Bay Area around Orinda and Lafayette (beyond Oakland, and north of Hayward). St. Mary's University is there, and there are numerous parishes in the area, so I'm sure there'd be an orthodox one....Just been too long for me since I lived there to recall names!

Jan 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: I'm thinking about possibly moving to the Bay Area in a couple of years - primarily because it&...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

I'm thinking about possibly moving to the Bay Area in a couple of years - primarily because it's a beautiful area with a variety of outdoor activities that I love. I'm getting bored in San Diego and want to explore something new, plus be closer to Tahoe to ski, but at the same time in good climate and close to the ocean.

I'm concerned though because the Bay Area is known as the most liberal region of the U.S. For those who live in this area, what do you think? Can a Catholic be happy in the Bay Area? Would San Jose be better than San Fran? Living in San Diego, I'm already pretty used to (what I consider) a liberal environment, and while I would love to live in a place where co-workers don't announce matter-of-factly that they went to the gay pride parade over the weekend, the climate here wins out at the moment. At least in most places here those who live such lifestyles don't flaunt them in front of my face. How is it in the Bay Area?

--hide--

Which is more important to you: your faith or the scenery?

There is a passage from the Universal Prayer I reflect on when questions like this arise:

Make me realize, O my God! the nothingness of this world, the greatness of heaven the shortness of time, and the length of eternity.

Grant that I may prepare for death; that I may fear thy judgments, and in the end obtain heaven; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

catholocity.net

Jan 15th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: I'm thinking about possibly moving to the Bay Area in a couple of years - primarily because it&...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

--hide--

Lisa, the Bay Area is diverse...don't let the media and all that fool you. Yes, it is by far more liberal than some places...but don't be deceived. I go to daily mass in Oakland at Cathedral of Christ the Light. I would say the average noon attendance is at least 50 people...coming during the lunch hour from busy office jobs. I'm starting to do more activities at St Dominic's in San Francisco. It has a very active parish for people in the 20, 30's and 40's. The Bay Area has people from all over the world. They come here bringing their culture with them. The Cathedral has a strong Korean presence.

The Bay Area is amazingly beautiful. I discover new things all the time. There are many hiking groups and places to take Children. I live on the Island of Alameda and it is very small town and safe, but 5 minutes from Oakland and 20 minutes from the City. I go to Tahoe all the time.

Probably the biggest issue for you might be price. The Bay Area, I am pretty sure is even more expenise the San Diego.

Give me a shout if you decide to relocate!

Jan 16th 2013 new

These things are not mutually exclusive. It's not a sin to live in a liberal environment, nor does it put your faith at risk - it's just annoying to live in a place where the values of the majority are opposite of yours. San Diego is liberal but definitely not as liberal as San Fran, but at the same time you'll be hard-pressed to find a truly reverent orthodox church here outside of the TLM. So I'm looking for that in addition to the scenery. :-)

Jan 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: These things are not mutually exclusive. It's not a sin to live in a liberal environment, nor d...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

These things are not mutually exclusive. It's not a sin to live in a liberal environment, nor does it put your faith at risk - it's just annoying to live in a place where the values of the majority are opposite of yours. San Diego is liberal but definitely not as liberal as San Fran, but at the same time you'll be hard-pressed to find a truly reverent orthodox church here outside of the TLM. So I'm looking for that in addition to the scenery. :-)

--hide--
It's like moving to Sodom!This is what's left of Sodom www.karaitejudaism.org

Jan 16th 2013 new

Linclon Nebraska has the FSSP Seminary there.Very scenic,nice Country.Plenty of Latin Masses.Even some Latin Mass Carmelite Nuns( to visit) in Valpraiso,Nebraska!

Jan 16th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: Linclon Nebraska has the FSSP Seminary there.Very scenic,nice Country.Plenty of Latin Masses.Even...
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

Linclon Nebraska has the FSSP Seminary there.Very scenic,nice Country.Plenty of Latin Masses.Even some Latin Mass Carmelite Nuns ( to visit) in Valpraiso,Nebraska!

--hide--
Actually the Seminary is in Denton,which is in the Linclon Diocese.Plenty of FSSP Priests there!

Posts 1 - 10 of 61