Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Jan 17th 2013 new

Mine are from rural area communities that were next to each other. They met at a dance. Back in those days early 60's, the girls and guys would date each other randomly and only if it was getting serious would they "go steady". My mother was quite sassy back in the day and dated my dad a few times,going to dances, meeting up with other friends, etc., Apparently, my mother went to visit some cousins for a bit, and returned had heard that my dad was dating someone else (they were "going steady").
Well, she believed the rumors and refused to talk to dad and began going with other guys on dates. During this time, unbeknown to my mother, her mother (my grandmother) was writing dad letters talking about how much mom had missed him but signed the letter with a codename/anonymous. Grandma LOVED my dad and knew he was a good man, and did not want mom with anyone else...
Mom did in fact still have feelings for him but refused to admit it) One night the scene was set, my grandmothers letter had told dad where my mom would be and he showed up there.
Dad tried to talk to mom who still banished him from communication. Finally dad got on his knees and pleaded with her that he had been told that she still had feelings for him, and that he in fact had not been serious with this other woman. In fact he had brought the letters with him that had the signed codename of "toadfrog". My mom asked him where he was getting this information, and he showed her the letters! She looked at the writing and immediately knew it was grandma's!! ha ha!!
She started laughing and the rest is history... (They got married on my grandma's anniversary June 6, and will be married 49 years this year)!!!

Jan 17th 2013 new

My parents met in the choir at the parish where

they had both grown up. They both had the

same birthday date, two years apart.

(They had the same wedding anniversary too. smile )

I think when I was growing up I thought everybody's

parents had the same birthday.

Jan 17th 2013 new
(Quote) Kathleen-311531 said: My parents met at the Catholic Newman club at the U of Michigan in Ann Arbor. They will celebrate their 50th th...
(Quote) Kathleen-311531 said: My parents met at the Catholic Newman club at the U of Michigan in Ann Arbor. They will celebrate their 50th this year! My Dad is a country boy from Louisiana and my Mom a city girl from NY but their common faith brought them together! My Dad was finishing up his studies when he met my Mom. He was a Lt in the USAF and was soon to be transferred to Albuquerque. He invited my Mom to meet his family in La. In December where they got engaged. They were apart their entire engagement and married in August. I came along 1 year later;)
--hide--
That is a sweet love story. I am always amazed that people are married a lifetime. Congrats to them Kathleen from me!
Jan 17th 2013 new
(Quote) Jim-397948 said: Blind date in 1956
(Quote) Jim-397948 said: Blind date in 1956
--hide--
Tell us more Jim. Enquiring minds want to know! Eileen.
Jan 17th 2013 new
Margaret! What a story! I love how your grandma (toad frog) got involved without your mom knowing it. Sometimes mom's know best! Did your dad know he was getting the silent treatment or did he think that she was just playing hard to get? He did have the letters. It is like a Hallmark love story. Thanks for sharing and another lifetime of being married....congrats to your parents. Eileen
Jan 17th 2013 new
(Quote) Kevin-40666 said: My parents met in the choir at the parish where they had both grown up. They both had the <...
(Quote) Kevin-40666 said:

(They had the same wedding anniversary too. )

--hide--
Okay Kevin....that is cute! Kids are so innocent.
Jan 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Kevin-40666 said: My parents met in the choir at the parish where they had both grown up. They both ...
(Quote) Kevin-40666 said:

(They had the same wedding anniversary too. )

--hide--

Haha! My parents have the same birthday too (3 years apart)! I used to think everybody's parents had the same birthday too!
And yes, they have the same wedding anniversary too tongue

Jan 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Peter-189584 said: Haha! My parents have the same birthday too (3 years apart)! I used to think everybody's ...
(Quote) Peter-189584 said:

Haha! My parents have the same birthday too (3 years apart)! I used to think everybody's parents had the same birthday too!
And yes, they have the same wedding anniversary too

--hide--

Thank you all for the wonderful replies. I have enjoyed reading every one!

Eileen

Jan 20th 2013 new

(Quote) Eileen-890971 said: Hi Everyone, I am always interested in this subject as I am a hopeless romantic....
(Quote) Eileen-890971 said:

Hi Everyone,

I am always interested in this subject as I am a hopeless romantic.

My mother was here in the United States from Ireland for a short time and working in the Bakery in the North End of town.
Alot of her friends were Polish and asked her to come with them one night to the Polish Club. My Dad was there with his
mother (yes! that's right!) and he spotted her and turned to her and said "Do you see that girl over there with the white
skin? I am going to marry her". They met several times at the Club and he offered to drive her and a few of her friends home
so she made sure she was the first one out and gave him a wrong address but walking distance from her apartment. And
that was the beginning.....

Do you have a story you would like to share? People meet in the darndest places. I can't wait to hear your parents story!

Eileen

--hide--
My dad was of German heritage, my mom Irish. My mom had a government job in Washington during the war, working for my dad's sister. She played cupid. My dad liked what he saw, and didn't want to waste any time. My mom needed to get away and think it over, but my dad showed up on her doorstep in Dorchester, Mass. Today that would be called stalking! laughing My maternal grandmother was impressed with him partly because her little dog, Paddy, took to him right away. My dad has been gone now for 32 years, and I only saw one fight between them. Dad was smart enough to know exactly what to do- drive straight to a florist!

Jan 20th 2013 new
(Quote) Joanne-846477 said: Jim, you talk to much!
(Quote) Joanne-846477 said:

Jim, you talk to much!

--hide--
I agree.
Posts 101 - 110 of 128