Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

Jan 12th 2013 new

It says i don't have an accent, which is true because I've heard that often before.

I grew up in Atlanta so one would think I'd sound Southern. I do have all of the Southern colloquialisms:
y'all = plural you, small total
all y'all = plural you, large total
fixin' = about to do something
coke = carbonated beverage
co-cola = Coca Cola

This is primarily due to my mother (my dad is as Southern as grits and moonshine). My mom grew up in Minneapolis/St Paul so she says thing like 'pop' for a coke and 'ruf' for the shingled surface on top of a house. But English was the fifth language she learned so she speaks a very proper, textbook style of it. Growing up she would correct my mispronuunciations giving me that same accent-neutral speech.

Jan 17th 2013 new
When I lived in Chicago, the residents there thought I sounded southern. I haven't had any other folks day that though, for instance when I was on California.
Jan 17th 2013 new
My results: 100% Northeast. "Judging by how you speak you probably come from north Jersey..." Wow. They hit it perfect.
Jan 18th 2013 new

Speaking my native tounge this is what I sound like www.youtube.com But after being in the US for a couple of weeks, Americans have told me they thought I was from Las Vegas. Whatever accent that is.

Jan 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Michael-76823 said: dang quiz said something like I am the lowest common denominator or something like that and plac...
(Quote) Michael-76823 said:

dang quiz said something like I am the lowest common denominator or something like that and placed me in the Midlands

--hide--
Not bad, Michael -- it could have been Siberia.....

Jan 18th 2013 new

My result:

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Well, not quite. I was born and raised in Detroit, Michigan. But I went to college in southern Ohio (Wright State University in Dayton).

Jan 18th 2013 new

I couldn't get to the quiz, but I will just say, I speak perfectly its everyone else that speaks funny :-)) and that is a joke, lol. In my first linguistic class my instructor was telling people where she thought they were from based on their accents, she got to me and cocked her head and said were you raised in Oklahoma and I said yes, then she shook her head, obviously trying to ponder where I might have come from, so finally I said, well my mom is from Connecticut and my dad is from Texas. She smiled really big and nodded, and that explains the little NE I hear in your speech pattern. . .if mom only knew I was listening to her closely enough to emulate some of her speaking patterns lol.

Jan 18th 2013 new

I have a texas drawl but not too strong anymore because so many people have moved here from all over the world in recent years

Jan 18th 2013 new

Rachel, I took this one just for fun, as I am not American. This is what my quiz results were (emphasis mine).

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot. laughing laughing cool

Jan 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Angela-374523 said: Rachel, I took this one just for fun, as I am not American. This is what my quiz results were (e...
(Quote) Angela-374523 said:

Rachel, I took this one just for fun, as I am not American. This is what my quiz results were (emphasis mine).

"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.

--hide--

I love it, Angela!

Mine said Midland but it seemed to indicate more northeast. I thought I'd get more Canadian, because my mother was raised in Alberta and my dad in Northern Minnesota. I've spent too many years (36) in Wisconsin. biggrin

Posts 11 - 20 of 31