Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

"Gay Marriage"

Jan 17th 2013 new

Why do y'all think it has become increasingly acceptible in America? Why is there seemingly much more backlash in France of all places than here in the US? Have we just resigned ourselves to the inevitability that eventually it will be legal in all 50 states? sad

I, myself, am not sure what to do as younger persons seem so pro-gay marriage these days. boggled Thoughts, comments????

Jan 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-341178 said: Why do y'all think it has become increasingly acceptible in America? Why is there seemingly...
(Quote) Patrick-341178 said:

Why do y'all think it has become increasingly acceptible in America? Why is there seemingly much more backlash in France of all places than here in the US? Have we just resigned ourselves to the inevitability that eventually it will be legal in all 50 states?

I, myself, am not sure what to do as younger persons seem so pro-gay marriage these days. Thoughts, comments????

--hide--

Actually, I was just discussing this yesterday with a colleague. We were talking about tha Ashton Kutcher movie "Guess Who" about an interracial couple (a pun off of the older movie "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner". My colleague was saying how people have gotten more tolerant, and sometimes too tolerant.

I think our culture is more about "accept everyone and do what makes you happy". A friend of mine was mentioning some Gay Pride thing she went to in the summer, I think in Florida. There was a "nude or prude" choice. Drugs were made legal for the event, and things were about as immoral as you can imagine (snorting cocaine off of nude bodies while having orgies, etc.). I'm thinking, Is this where we've come as a culture?

I have a friend who is a church lector, on the pastoral council, and used to teach CCD. She will not support Chick Fil A anymore. She says that gay people should have the right to get married, just like everyone else. Many people will say it's not "Christian" to not let homosexuals have equal rights. When you say that you're following Catholic teaching, you'll hear a wide array of comments from "oh, where the priests molest little boys" to "well, Catholics shouldn't have a problem with it since other religions don't."

Sorry if I went off topic here, Patrick.

Jan 17th 2013 new

I think our culture is more about "accept everyone and do what makes you happy". A friend of mine was mentioning some Gay Pride thing she went to in the summer, I think in Florida. There was a "nude or prude" choice. Drugs were made legal for the event, and things were about as immoral as you can imagine (snorting cocaine off of nude bodies while having orgies, etc.). I'm thinking, Is this where we've come as a culture?

Sounds like Old Rome, or Sodom and Gomorrah

Jan 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-341178 said: Why do y'all think it has become increasingly acceptible in America? Why is there seemingly...

Why do y'all think it has become increasingly acceptible in America? Why is there seemingly much more backlash in France of all places than here in the US? Have we just resigned ourselves to the inevitability that eventually it will be legal in all 50 states?

I, myself, am not sure what to do as younger persons seem so pro-gay marriage these days. Thoughts, comments????

--hide--
Well read this article from the post, If this continues this will be up next and so many other things. I can't believe someone could think this way??? I also thought that about being gay, excepted as normal and here we are. When it comes it comes fast and every unnatural way of being wants the same rights and it's all down hill from there. God help us is all I can say, Some might think it a utopia, but it won't last, it can't. www.nypost.com

Jan 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-341178 said: Why do y'all think it has become increasingly acceptible in America? Why is there s...

--hide--

That's an interesting point in comparing France to the United States.

Let me offer this idea:

Western Europe was grounded in Catholicism. The Catholic Faith obviously plays a much smaller role in life there today than it did before the French Revolution, but the evidence of Catholicism is everywhere: Holy Days of Obligation are often pubic holidays, there are Catholic churches everywhere, there are Catholic pilgrimages, and so on. Protestantism, even in Germany and Switzerland, did not have the "roots" that Catholicism did; it wasn't around long enough.

The United States was never a Catholic country; it was (up until recently) a Protestant country. Although there are many Catholics here, the mindset was always more Protestant than Catholic. (One wouldn't work on a Sunday, but businesses would still be open on the Holy Days of Obligation, for example.) What has happened here is that Protestantism has collapsed. Unfortunately, the Church in this country (due to a lack of adherence to traditional doctrine over the last forty or fifty years) does not have a laity educated enough to step in to fill the breach where the Protestants stood before they all started dying off. Add to this the use of artificial contraception that Catholics picked up from their Protestant brethren (and having fewer Catholics to fight the good fight), and you have the Church in this country taking a one-two punch (which it brought upon itself, of course).

There's the difference; there are still enough traces of Catholicism in Europe to put up a fight. In a country such as ours with over 310 million people and a sizeable number of young adults identifying themselves as atheists, you can see why this fight is more desperate.

Jan 17th 2013 new

I think western society equates the institution of marriage with civil rights. I could certainly be wrong, but I don't recall marriage ever being characterized as a right, whether in the Bible or the Constitution, and I believe it's needs to be classed separately from the civil rights listed and protected by the US Constitution and Bill of Rights. I'm sure many debaters could argue that marriage is a right, but in my heart it will always remain a Sacrament.

Perhaps because of our litigous society where marriage has morphed into a social contract rather than the holy union it should be, people blur the distinction between protected rights and traditional familial institutions. I don't oppose gay rights, but even more than that, I cannot support abrogations of God's laws or His commandments. While I would never deny anyone their civil rights, I also cannot agree with the assessment it's OK to be gay because it implies so much more than what is presented on the surface.

Jan 18th 2013 new

The whole gays should have a "right" to marry is a fallacy since any gay woman can legally marry a man and any gay man can legally marry a woman. Also, a man can only legally marry one woman and woman can only legally marry one man. There are other limits on marriage but recently all people seem to care about is the gay angle.

It has been somewhat bittersweet to see the mass demonstrations against gay marriage legalization in France. I applaud them for their convictions, bus an American, I am saddenned that most of us have seemed to accept gay marriage as an inevitability. When gay marriage has been or is about to be legalized, there are relatively small demonstrations against it. Most states pre-empitvely changed their constitutions, but as we learned in California, any judge can simply throw that out. If a march for marriage could bring out the kind of people that the march of life has and will again next week, that would get a lot of attention and perhaps help stop the pro gay marriage momentum.

I am encouraged that most American bishops have done a pretty good job promoting traditional marriage despite the obvious pushback. I wish the bishops would be willing to take it one step further and deny communion to the "catholic" politicians that have promoted marriage redefinition. Also, "catholic" universities and schools need to be denied permission to call themselves catholic if they keep promoting the gay agenda in defiance of the church.

Jan 18th 2013 new

Someone just gave me a link to an interesting article related to this topic:

www.c-fam.org

Jan 18th 2013 new

--hide--

I am not certain it IS more accepted here. Our media control the way it hits the news or is ignored. The people who work in the media have and the media has an agenda that is fueled by the dollar and by a current belief that they can make society into its own image.

Jan 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-341178 said: The whole gays should have a "right" to marry is a fallacy since any gay woman can le...

The whole gays should have a "right" to marry is a fallacy since any gay woman can legally marry a man and any gay man can legally marry a woman. Also, a man can only legally marry one woman and woman can only legally marry one man. There are other limits on marriage but recently all people seem to care about is the gay angle.

It has been somewhat bittersweet to see the mass demonstrations against gay marriage legalization in France. I applaud them for their convictions, bus an American, I am saddenned that most of us have seemed to accept gay marriage as an inevitability. When gay marriage has been or is about to be legalized, there are relatively small demonstrations against it. Most states pre-empitvely changed their constitutions, but as we learned in California, any judge can simply throw that out. If a march for marriage could bring out the kind of people that the march of life has and will again next week, that would get a lot of attention and perhaps help stop the pro gay marriage momentum.

I am encouraged that most American bishops have done a pretty good job promoting traditional marriage despite the obvious pushback. I wish the bishops would be willing to take it one step further and deny communion to the "catholic" politicians that have promoted marriage redefinition. Also, "catholic" universities and schools need to be denied permission to call themselves catholic if they keep promoting the gay agenda in defiance of the church.

--hide--

As large as the March for Life is, it receives no media coverage to speak of. So it receives no attention from the general population. In the current climate a march for marriage, even if it were 4 times as large would receive no more attention.

A more fundamental process is needed. And correcting this drift off the deep end is this country will take at least as long as the process has taken that has gotten us to this point.

Posts 1 - 10 of 23