Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Wanted to see if anyone else is concerned about identity issues with the Manti Te'o story. I know many people think he was part of the hoax, but it sounds so sad, I think he was really that naive. Just because he's a football player doesn't mean he doesn't want to be loved for who he is. Or am I the naive one?

Jan 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: Wanted to see if anyone else is concerned about identity issues with the Manti Te'o story. ...
(Quote) Kristen-878108 said:

Wanted to see if anyone else is concerned about identity issues with the Manti Te'o story. I know many people think he was part of the hoax, but it sounds so sad, I think he was really that naive. Just because he's a football player doesn't mean he doesn't want to be loved for who he is. Or am I the naive one?

--hide--
Who really knows who is what at this point. The story has more to offer, and we'll have to wait for the next chapter to unfold.

Jan 17th 2013 new
Hi Kristen. I was wondering if this subject would be posted. So many are jumping to conclusions and rushing to judgment against this young man. The online world is full of pitfalls. Younger people often believe it is more real than it is. To me it's very plausible that he was duped. If it turns out that he wasn't I still feel bad for him. All people make mistakes and I refuse to judge him no matter what the circumstances. Let's not forget also that the kid lost his Grandmother who was like a mother to him. I feel compassion for the kid. God bless, and thanks for posting. John
Jan 17th 2013 new

(Quote) John-746882 said: Hi Kristen. I was wondering if this subject would be posted. So many are jumping to conclusions and rushi...
(Quote) John-746882 said: Hi Kristen. I was wondering if this subject would be posted. So many are jumping to conclusions and rushing to judgment against this young man. The online world is full of pitfalls. Younger people often believe it is more real than it is. To me it's very plausible that he was duped. If it turns out that he wasn't I still feel bad for him. All people make mistakes and I refuse to judge him no matter what the circumstances. Let's not forget also that the kid lost his Grandmother who was like a mother to him. I feel compassion for the kid. God bless, and thanks for posting. John
--hide--

I feel the same way. Sometimes people tend to paint football players as larger than life when they are just young kids trying to figure things out. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but I tend to believe he was really that trusting.

Jan 17th 2013 new
(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: Wanted to see if anyone else is concerned about identity issues with the Manti Te'o story. I know many p...

--hide--

I think he was naive and then when he learned the truths terribly embarrassed. I feel sorry for him and will say a prayer on his behalf.
Jan 17th 2013 new
(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: I feel the same way. Sometimes people tend to paint football players as larger than life...

I feel the same way. Sometimes people tend to paint football players as larger than life when they are just young kids trying to figure things out. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, but I tend to believe he was really that trusting.

--hide--

Kristen

I have openly shared my story, I dated someone as an ldr for seven years. I met his family and friends. I was just there the weekend of March 19, 2012. I saw his Dad and step Mom and several of his friends during that visit......

A few short weeks later that first week of April for Easter he was supposed to come to Oklahoma presumably to ask me to consider where that relationship was going...instead I received the proverbial Dear Brenda email, a two liner saying there is no us and he was on his way to Thailand. While in Thailand he became engaged to someone in Thailand.....

This man was Catholic and we attended Mass together......I will admit I had begun to wonder if I would be settling....and Praise God I found out who he was before I uprooted my life.

I trust God to bless my life with someone special in his time if it is his will...

God bless Brenda
Jan 17th 2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: Kristen I have openly shared my story, I dated someone as an ldr for seven years. I met ...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said:

Kristen

I have openly shared my story, I dated someone as an ldr for seven years. I met his family and friends. I was just there the weekend of March 19, 2012. I saw his Dad and step Mom and several of his friends during that visit......

A few short weeks later that first week of April for Easter he was supposed to come to Oklahoma presumably to ask me to consider where that relationship was going...instead I received the proverbial Dear Brenda email, a two liner saying there is no us and he was on his way to Thailand. While in Thailand he became engaged to someone in Thailand.....

This man was Catholic and we attended Mass together......I will admit I had begun to wonder if I would be settling....and Praise God I found out who he was before I uprooted my life.

I trust God to bless my life with someone special in his time if it is his will...

God bless Brenda
--hide--

Brenda, I am so sorry that happened to you. That sounds very difficult. God bless!

Jan 17th 2013 new
(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: Brenda, I am so sorry that happened to you. That sounds very difficult. God bless!

Brenda, I am so sorry that happened to you. That sounds very difficult. God bless!

--hide--

Thanks!
Jan 17th 2013 new

This topic came up on 'He who shall not be named's' FB wall this evening and this was my response:

When I was in the car a little while ago the radio host and a psychologist were discussing this very situation.. The Dr said that because of online social media this type of thing is happening with increasing frequency..We have started to become a society that is incredibly drawn into the pats on the back that we get from people we don't even know.. He said "How many times have you seen somebody get very hurt feelings because somebody didn't respond to their FB comment..Good grief how many times have we seen that happen in the Forums? He said the younger the people involved are, the more likely they are to really think they are actually involved in a relationship with someone they never met..We need to remember that for all his physical build this is still a kid psychologically..

Jan 17th 2013 new
I believe that too Kristen.
Posts 1 - 10 of 71