Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jan 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Fred-828727 said: What about us that do live in the middle of nowhere?
(Quote) Fred-828727 said:

What about us that do live in the middle of nowhere?

--hide--

Good question. LDR can and do work. If I didn't know that - I would not be on here. My brother married someone who lived 1000+ miles away. yes, it was expensive - but they skyped and are making it work.

Jan 18th 2013 new
I am usually contacted by men out of my travel area.Good friends,but nothing more.I think

LDR are difficult & I myself rather a relationship nearby.
Jan 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Bobbie-557829 said: I am usually contacted by men out of my travel area.Good friends,but nothing more.I think LDR a...
(Quote) Bobbie-557829 said: I am usually contacted by men out of my travel area.Good friends,but nothing more.I think

LDR are difficult & I myself rather a relationship nearby.
--hide--

The only men I have been in contact with are thousands (emphasis on the "s") of miles away. eyepopping

Perhaps, the distance makes it safer? scratchchin

Jan 18th 2013 new
Personally - it does work for me. I travel a lot for work and sometimes it makes it easier. From my experience as long as two people are committed and trusting - it provides the opportunity to really get to know the person's heart and soul. Just my two cents. :-)
Jan 18th 2013 new
Of course long-distance can work, but that doesn't mean that it is advisable or realistic for everyone. The biggest problem with long-distance relationships is that in the end, at least one party has to give up everything. That is a lot to ask of anyone, and it can result in an imbalanced relationship. If A gives up everything to marry B, is B willing to give A 100%? Will B never forget the great sacrifice that A made? Will A resist the temptation to lord that sacrifice over A? Maybe, maybe not. Other than that, I personally know of no substitute for in-person contact, lots of it. If I ever get to meet someone worth considering, I want a lot more time together before marriage than a long-distance relationship is likely to allow me. Like Joe, the realities hurt me, because it seems that all the decent ladies live nowhere near me-- but I have to deal with that. I often think of Abraham getting impatient and trying to "help" God by having a child (Ishmael) with his servant instead of being patient and waiting for God's promise to come true with Sarah. What a mess that made! When God is ready, He will send someone for me.
Jan 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Andrew-290721 said: Of course long-distance can work, but that doesn't mean that it is advisable or realistic for every...
(Quote) Andrew-290721 said: Of course long-distance can work, but that doesn't mean that it is advisable or realistic for everyone. The biggest problem with long-distance relationships is that in the end, at least one party has to give up everything. That is a lot to ask of anyone, and it can result in an imbalanced relationship. If A gives up everything to marry B, is B willing to give A 100%? Will B never forget the great sacrifice that A made? Will A resist the temptation to lord that sacrifice over A? Maybe, maybe not. Other than that, I personally know of no substitute for in-person contact, lots of it. If I ever get to meet someone worth considering, I want a lot more time together before marriage than a long-distance relationship is likely to allow me. Like Joe, the realities hurt me, because it seems that all the decent ladies live nowhere near me-- but I have to deal with that. I often think of Abraham getting impatient and trying to "help" God by having a child (Ishmael) with his servant instead of being patient and waiting for God's promise to come true with Sarah. What a mess that made! When God is ready, He will send someone for me.
--hide--

I agree with you, Andrew. I am one of those people who believe if you ask for God to send you what you need, He will. We just need to wait for God's time, not ours. In God's good time, I am sure he will send someone for you.

- Elizabeth

Jan 18th 2013 new

(Quote) Joe-660568 said: Can a long-distance relationship REALLY work out? We often begin relationships with a dreamy imagin...
(Quote) Joe-660568 said:

Can a long-distance relationship REALLY work out? We often begin relationships with a dreamy imagination, but in reality, there is a
necessary physical element that completes a relationship... so are people SERIOUS when they say they indicate that location doesn't matter? For example, it seems like transportation costs and travel time are forgotten about; that is, until the travel bill is $600 every time you meet the person. Then you have to plan weekends over a more squeezed schedule due to recovery from travel, etc. This, in turn, lessens the frequency of the
physical time spent together, etc. Sad, given the great pool of lovely, wholesome, and incredibly cute women on this site.

--hide--

You're asking if it can work out. Yes, I truly think it can! You bring up some very realistic points, and I don't think the wrong relationship can survive long distance, but the right one CAN!

Jan 19th 2013 new

LDR's are spendy but can be really worth it. I know for then a few people in my family who had LDR's and are now in great marriages with budding families. I think it has more to do with knowing what you want, what you are willing to give to get it and a super huge dose of commitment, because face it, one or the other is going to have to move smile

Jan 26th 2013 new

Yes, they can work but you have to be dedicated to making it work. I can finally say I'm living proof of this.

Jan 26th 2013 new

I do believe, like many others that LDR can and do work, but you have to be into it, you have to make sacrifices and of course you have to have a great organization because it would imply costs that maybe a year before you weren't taking into consideration. I have many friends who found their spouses more than 1000s miles away, it is not easy it is not cheap, but it can work if you are decided to make it work. It will be different to a relationships just blocks away because you will have to manage to get in touch like skype or other apps that tech can provide, but I really believe LDR do work.

Posts 31 - 40 of 92