Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Jan 20th 2013 new

Wow, praying together that way would be great, seems so intimate and humble.

I never had the opportunity for that, but I think if one or both feel uncomfortable, they could start by just saying one short prayer of thanksgiving and one short prayer of petition ie. Thank you Lord for giving us another day, please help us to serve one another. After the couple feels comfortable, they can do two things each and so on, and build on it.

Jan 21st 2013 new
(Quote) Christine-924384 said: Wow, praying together that way would be great, seems so intimate and humble. I never had the oppo...
(Quote) Christine-924384 said:

Wow, praying together that way would be great, seems so intimate and humble.

I never had the opportunity for that, but I think if one or both feel uncomfortable, they could start by just saying one short prayer of thanksgiving and one short prayer of petition ie. Thank you Lord for giving us another day, please help us to serve one another. After the couple feels comfortable, they can do two things each and so on, and build on it.

--hide--

You are so right, Christine. To me, and my RCIA students will confirm this, there is nothing more intimate than communing with the Lord in prayer...whether in thanksgiving, supplication, or praise (or all three together). If you love someone, you want to let them in, right? We love the Lord, so, whether we're at Mass or saying the rosary or just asking for His guidance...it's an intimate communion.

So...you're courting or married to someone. The level of intimacy between you is proper to your state in life. God looks down on that, and if done with the right intentions, blesses the union, whether it's in preparation for marriage or an already consummated fact. WHY would ANYONE be ashamed or afraid to include your significant other or spouse in the effort to encourage and help each other achieve heaven? I mean, married love is a faint mirror (see St. Paul's letter for the 4th Sunday in a couple weeks...) of the union Christ has prefigured for us through the Church; should that 'domestic church' of which you are both members not also mirror both between each other and in union with the Church Militant?

I can think of nothing more beautiful than watching your 'other' at sincere prayer and more intimate than sharing that with them.

Just my $.02. I'm looking forward to it.
Jan 21st 2013 new

(Quote) Sarah-901988 said: I came across an article today about how men might prefer to pray as a couple: http://dariasockey...
(Quote) Sarah-901988 said:

I came across an article today about how men might prefer to pray as a couple: dariasockey.blogspot.com

And another article on praying as a couple: www.ncregister.com

I recognize that each person prays their own way and the same with each couple, but the first article made me consider how there might be some significant differences in how men and women prefer to pray together. Thoughts?

I'm curious what your own preferences are and your thoughts on the article.

Thanks!

--hide--

I have posted this before and a great many people do not agree with me and even get upset at what I post.

I do not believe in praying as a "couple" until you truly are a couple and now that you are in discerning a courtship.

To me prayer is like premarital sex. People may take offense to this and I apologize if I offended anyone but if it is something that is done too early can cloud the discernment process.

We need to get to know the other person first and not look through rose colored glasses that they say the rosary with me every night, etc. Sometimes we miss signs by doing this. We also think they look at the person and say oh but look, how they talk about God and His Holy Mother, how devout they are. This means very little, it is actions that tell who and what the person is made of. I am not saying to pray, we individually pray for discernment. Yes we do informal prayer together but allow the Holy Spirit to give you the insight and if this person is the one and then gradually as you are confirmed in your discernment, you find out what prayer unites you and brings you peace and what your relationship is all about.

My Irish grandmother would always say "daughter, sometimes there is a lot of talk about God and there is no God." There is much truth to this statement and in a beginning of a relationship one needs to know the caliber of the person and this is done trough proper discernment individually, until what you see is confirmed and you move to the next level.

Posts 11 - 13 of 13