Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

I am still haunted by the images of the killings at Sandy Hook Elementary. Maybe because I'm a music teacher and I work with kids all the time and can't imagine how anyone could do such a thing to the most innocent of people.

Many 'reasons' have been proposed as the cause. Unchecked mental illness, the use of psychotropic drugs, the availability of guns, violent movies and video games, and the glorification of violence and of the murderers themselves by our mainstream media. Obama has just presented gun-control legislation and other measures related to mental health and school security as if more laws are the answer.

The real answer is that society needs to embrace God and reject our culture of violence. We say it, but we don't practice it. We send a million stuffed animals to Newtown thinking that we helped, but then continue to let our children play violent video games. We condemn violence, but support Hollywood by viewing Gangster Squad, Texas Chainsaw 3D (really?), Jack Reacher..... How are we entertained by this amoral trash?! Instead of compassion, we stigmatize the mentally ill and then act so shocked when they do something crazy. We blame guns as if they could walk and talk and fire themselves. We need to change!

In the 1980s, Ronald Reagan gave a speech related to the country's escalating drug culture. He said, (sic) 'we will never rid ourselves of this drug problem until the people themselves decide to "just say no" to drugs.' He was right. How do WE "just say no" to violence? I invite your thoughts and prayers.

01/22/2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-750000 said: I am still haunted by the images of the killings at Sandy Hook Elementary. Maybe because I'm...
(Quote) Joseph-750000 said:

I am still haunted by the images of the killings at Sandy Hook Elementary. Maybe because I'm a music teacher and I work with kids all the time and can't imagine how anyone could do such a thing to the most innocent of people.

Many 'reasons' have been proposed as the cause. Unchecked mental illness, the use of psychotropic drugs, the availability of guns, violent movies and video games, and the glorification of violence and of the murderers themselves by our mainstream media. Obama has just presented gun-control legislation and other measures related to mental health and school security as if more laws are the answer.

The real answer is that society needs to embrace God and reject our culture of violence. We say it, but we don't practice it. We send a million stuffed animals to Newtown thinking that we helped, but then continue to let our children play violent video games. We condemn violence, but support Hollywood by viewing Gangster Squad, Texas Chainsaw 3D (really?), Jack Reacher..... How are we entertained by this amoral trash?! Instead of compassion, we stigmatize the mentally ill and then act so shocked when they do something crazy. We blame guns as if they could walk and talk and fire themselves. We need to change!

In the 1980s, Ronald Reagan gave a speech related to the country's escalating drug culture. He said, (sic) 'we will never rid ourselves of this drug problem until the people themselves decide to "just say no" to drugs.' He was right. How do WE "just say no" to violence? I invite your thoughts and prayers.

--hide--
Texas Chainsaw 3D actually topped the movie charts one week- what does that say about us? Although many disagree with me, I'm convinced gratuitously violent movies and video games desensitize kids to real world violence. It may be that the majority are not negatively affected, but if a kid is broken like the Newtown murderer it's throwing gasoline on the fire. Parents need to have the courage to make choices for their kids as to what constitutes healthy entertainment and what clearly does not. I was visiting my son and his family a few years ago when we overheard extremely foul language coming from the living room TV. My grandson and a friend were playing a graphically violent video game (belonging to his friend). My son put it back in it's case, handed it back to the kid and said "that garbage is not allowed in this house." Needless to say my grandson got a serious chewing out after his friend was sent home.

01/22/2013 new
And viewing that violence is against Catholic teaching too -- as is viewing/reading horror movies and books -- isn't it?
01/22/2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: And viewing that violence is against Catholic teaching too -- as is viewing/reading horror movies and b...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: And viewing that violence is against Catholic teaching too -- as is viewing/reading horror movies and books -- isn't it?
--hide--
Indeed. Sadly my son and his family are Methodist. Long story for another thread.

01/22/2013 new

(Quote) Peter-449116 said: Texas Chainsaw 3D actually topped the movie charts one week- what does that say about us? Althoug...
(Quote) Peter-449116 said:

Texas Chainsaw 3D actually topped the movie charts one week- what does that say about us? Although many disagree with me, I'm convinced gratuitously violent movies and video games desensitize kids to real world violence. It may be that the majority are not negatively affected, but if a kid is broken like the Newtown murderer it's throwing gasoline on the fire. Parents need to have the courage to make choices for their kids as to what constitutes healthy entertainment and what clearly does not. I was visiting my son and his family a few years ago when we overheard extremely foul language coming from the living room TV. My grandson and a friend were playing a graphically violent video game (belonging to his friend). My son put it back in it's case, handed it back to the kid and said "that garbage is not allowed in this house." Needless to say my grandson got a serious chewing out after his friend was sent home.

--hide--
Thanks for sharing this Peter, and kudos to your son for having the courage to take action and to teach his son about what is NOT healthy entertainment.

01/22/2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-750000 said: I am still haunted by the images of the killings at Sandy Hook Elementary. Maybe because I'm...

--hide--

One thing you could do is detoxify your cultural intake. Unplug the TV, and return the cable or satellite set-top box.

Then go back to reading the classics, the Church fathers, the Classic philosophers, Shakespeare (You can see the best performances on Youtube). Get back to the wisdom of our ancestors and away from the nonsensical and the revolutionary.

Then look at the actual crime figures. Yes, there has been an apparent increase in mass shooting incidents this year, or at least the media is acting as if it is. Is that really so, or are they just reporting more incidents to create a moral panic to get us to throw out the 2nd Amendment?

en.wikipedia.org

01/22/2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-750000 said: Thanks for sharing this Peter, and kudos to your son for having the courage to take action and t...

Thanks for sharing this Peter, and kudos to your son for having the courage to take action and to teach his son about what is NOT healthy entertainment.

--hide--
I rest my case:

www.foxnews.com

01/23/2013 new

--hide--

My sister happened to send me this email today - I thought it applied.

A woman had just returned to her home from an evening of church services , when she was startled by an intruder. She caught the man in the act of robbing her home of its valuables and yelled: 'Stop! Acts 2:38!' (Repent and be Baptized, in the name of Jesus Christ , so that your sins may be forgiven.)

The burglar stopped in his tracks. The woman calmly called the police and explained what she had done.

As the officer cuffed the man to take him in, he asked the burglar: 'Why did you just stand there? All the old lady did was yell a scripture to you.'

'Scripture?' replied the burglar 'She said she had an Ax and Two 38s!'

Knowing scripture can save your life - in more ways than one!

01/23/2013 new

(Quote) Steven-706921 said: One thing you could do is detoxify your cultural intake. Unplug the TV, and return the ...
(Quote) Steven-706921 said:

One thing you could do is detoxify your cultural intake. Unplug the TV, and return the cable or satellite set-top box.

Then go back to reading the classics, the Church fathers, the Classic philosophers, Shakespeare (You can see the best performances on Youtube). Get back to the wisdom of our ancestors and away from the nonsensical and the revolutionary.

Then look at the actual crime figures. Yes, there has been an apparent increase in mass shooting incidents this year, or at least the media is acting as if it is. Is that really so, or are they just reporting more incidents to create a moral panic to get us to throw out the 2nd Amendment?

en.wikipedia.org

--hide--
You said it, Steven. The TV has become a cultural poison to the moral character of our nation. Most of it is a pipeline of trash designed to appeal to our every selfish desire with the promise of instant self-gratification by creating a false culture where the perverse is normal, presented with low brow humor and violent drama by fashionable actors aimed at the IQ level of a 12 year-old. I don't have cable, don't want it either. Sadly, the TV has become an effective babysitter for many parents and children get hooked on it like a poisonous drug before they can even walk. I absolutely believe it to be a factor in the violence in our society. I remember a bumper sticker that read "Kill Your Television!" Good advise.

Posts 1 - 9 of 9