Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Profile Peeve: The Remake

Jan 22nd 2013 new

This is a little annoying but I accidentally pressed the submit button without even typing anything, so that's why the original thread was blank. My hands are large and these smaller modern keyboards often play havoc on them.

I am not, by nature, a confrontational person. In fact, as I write in my 'About Me' section, I am the consummate introvert. If you picked a figure out of the Bible who most resembles my faith in practice, it would probably be the Prophet Jonah. When I hear blasphemies in public, and I very often do as a university student (at a Jesuit university no less), I prefer to let them roll over my shoulder and not ruffle any feathers. It's a peculiar aversion that I have against awkward social situations, even though I'm approx 180 lbs, of fairly muscular build, and strongly considering a military career. It's my greatest flaw as a Catholic.

So, it is with great trepidation that I must say that I run into an unfortunate number of singles on this site--which was created in large part to bring PRACTICING Catholics together--who obstinately and publically reject some (often as many as half) of the 7 infallible teachings of the Church that are displayed on every profile. The three that seem to be the most contentious seem to relate to contraception, premarital sex, and papal infallibility.

What upsets me is the fact that Catholic Match doesn't link the question of whether a single is "free to marry" according to whether she accepts all of the 7 infallible teachings, and not just some of them. Because as soon as one rejects the teaching of the Magisterium that's automatic self-excommunication, and no marriage can be sanctified until Catholics in this position renounce their heresy, and receive absolution through the Sacrament of Reconciliation.

I'm heavy into Tertullian and the Early Church Fathers, and I've checked and cross checked this about a million times. The "free to marry" designation must be linked automatically with acceptance or rejection the infallible teachings, because at the very least, we must contemplate the scandal this disparity causes; what kind of message this sends to less knowledgeable Catholics who see this and are possibly led to believe that one may renounce dogma and still remain in communion with the Church.

Let us be ever mindful of Ezekiel 33:8-9:

(Quote) When I say to the wicked: O wicked man, thou shalt surely die: if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked man from his way: that wicked man s...
(Quote) When I say to the wicked: O wicked man, thou shalt surely die: if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked man from his way: that wicked man shall die in his iniquity, but I will require his blood at thy hand. But if thou tell the wicked man, that he may be converted from his ways, and he be not converted from his way: he shall die in his iniquity: but thou hast delivered thy soul.
--hide--

ME most especially.

Jan 22nd 2013 new

Thanks for the lecture. These types of topics never end well.

I'll just pull up a seat and enjoy my popcorn. tongue angel

Jan 22nd 2013 new

I know you're probably not going to like this response..But due to the nature of controversy a thread about the 7 Church teachings causes. It is a banned topic in the Forums.. The position Admin has taken in the past is that the 7 questions should be addressed on a personal level with a member with whom you are interested in communicating with.

So I'm goin to lock this thread..

Donna with her Moderator hat on..

Posts 1 - 3 of 3