Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

Does Catholic Match run any kind of background check on it's paid subscribers - such as running the person's name, etc. through the the criminal database or the sex offenders database or any other type of background check?

Thanks!

Jan 24th 2013 new

I would be very surprised if they did. I would be willing to bet money that they do not do any kind of background check.

Jan 24th 2013 new

That would be impossible with the number of people signing up every day in the hundreds and with the small staff CM has... And it's an international site too. It is incumbant on us to do that if we find it necessary..

Jan 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: That would be impossible with the number of people signing up every day in the hundreds and with t...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

That would be impossible with the number of people signing up every day in the hundreds and with the small staff CM has... And it's an international site too. It is incumbant on us to do that if we find it necessary..

--hide--

I would agree with that, Donna. I can see both sides of the argument, but I also think it's ultimately up to us- the people meeting- to find out whether or not the other is, well, who they say they are. IMHO, in this day and age, it would seem to be safe practice to do that....

Jan 24th 2013 new

(Quote) Donna-83441 said: That would be impossible with the number of people signing up every day in the hundreds and with t...
(Quote) Donna-83441 said:

--hide--

Nothing in life is impossible (or at least very few things are). That said, I was not saying that CM should do this, although considering the current lawsuits against Match.com (one of which was settled out of court, after which they did make some changes to their way of doing business), I suspect that if this trend in litigation continues, at some point in time, many internet matching sites may feel compelled to do some type of background check on members in order to avoid costly litigation or otherwise eventually end up going out of business or filing bankruptcy if they end up with a legal judgement against them. (Most larger companies such as Match.com, I think, would choose to settle out-of-court, and since those tend to include an agreement that the person suing not talk about the settlement, we never know what those settlements are - unless, of course, there is then a definite change in the way the company does business immediately after the settlement.)

Jan 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: Nothing in life is impossible (or at least very few things are). That said, I was not s...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

Nothing in life is impossible (or at least very few things are). That said, I was not saying that CM should do this, although considering the current lawsuits against Match.com (one of which was settled out of court, after which they did make some changes to their way of doing business), I suspect that if this trend in litigation continues, at some point in time, many internet matching sites may feel compelled to do some type of background check on members in order to avoid costly litigation or otherwise eventually end up going out of business or filing bankruptcy if they end up with a legal judgement against them. (Most larger companies such as Match.com, I think, would choose to settle out-of-court, and since those tend to include an agreement that the person suing not talk about the settlement, we never know what those settlements are - unless, of course, there is then a definite change in the way the company does business immediately after the settlement.)

--hide--

I would be really interested in getting a response from CM Admin. to this question. Thank you!

Jan 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: I would be really interested in getting a response from CM Admin. to this question. Tha...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

I would be really interested in getting a response from CM Admin. to this question. Thank you!

--hide--

The fastest way to get a reply from Admin is to submit a Help Ticket.

Jan 25th 2013 new

you can run your own background check on someone....you can do it on line.

Jan 26th 2013 new
(Quote) Debbie-443016 said: you can run your own background check on someone....you can do it on line.
(Quote) Debbie-443016 said:

you can run your own background check on someone....you can do it on line.

--hide--

You have to have some basic information about a person before running a background check. The background check is only as good as the entity producing the report, and you have to assure that you are looking at information about the correct person.

Better, I suggest exchanging parish registrations when things begin to turn into a relationship, as well as just asking questions that you want to know.
Jan 26th 2013 new

Thank you for raising the awareness! Now I feel scared again~ But not too scared as I am beginning to think that I will not meet anyone for me here ~

Posts 1 - 10 of 43