Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

Jan 25th 2013 new

Talking about food, the following will definitely get this hungry man's attention: 1. spicy seafood dish, 2. lamb chops or rack-o-lamb , or 3. good old fashioned steak laughing

Jan 25th 2013 new
This is great Marion! Thanks for starting this "yummy" post! Ok, so it's been freezing cold here in Washington for weeks...definitely hearty soup and stew weather! So this weekend it will be a delicious, savory beef, mushroom and barley soup simmering in the crock pot, with fresf baked corn bread, honey and melted butter....mmmmmmm!!!
Jan 25th 2013 new
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: Chicken: 1 (2 1/2-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces 3 ribs celery, chopped...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: Chicken:

1 (2 1/2-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces

3 ribs celery, chopped

1 large onion, chopped

2 bay leaves

2 chicken bouillon cubes

1 teaspoon House Seasoning, recipe follows

1 (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed cream of celery or cream of chicken soup

Dumplings:

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon salt

Ice water

Directions

To start the chicken: Place the chicken, celery, onion, bay leaves, bouillon, and House Seasoning in a large pot. Add 4 quarts of water and in water and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer the chicken until it is tender and the thigh juices run clear, about 40 minutes. Remove the chicken from the pot and, when it is cool enough to handle, remove the skin and separate the meat from the bones. Return the chicken meat to the pot. Keep warm over low heat.

To prepare the dumplings: Mix the flour with the salt and mound together in a mixing bowl. Beginning at the center of the mound, drizzle a small amount of ice water over the flour. Using your fingers, and moving from the center to the sides of the bowl, gradually incorporate about 3/4 cup of ice water. Knead the dough and form it into ball.

Dust a good amount of flour onto a clean work surface. Roll out the dough (it will be firm), working from center to 1/8-inch thick. Let the dough relax for several minutes.

Add the cream of celery soup to the pot with the chicken and simmer gently over medium-low heat.

Cut the dough into 1-inch pieces. Pull a piece in half and drop the halves into the simmering soup. Repeat. Do not stir the chicken once the dumplings have been added. Gently move the pot in a circular motion so the dumplings become submerged and cook evenly. Cook until the dumplings float and are no longer doughy, 3 to 4 minutes.

To serve, ladle chicken, gravy, and dumplings into warm bowls.

Cook's Note: If the chicken stew is too thin it can be thickened before the dumplings are added. Simply mix together 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 1/4 cup of water then whisk this mixture into the stew

House Seasoning:

1 cup salt

1/4 cup black pepper

1/4 cup garlic powder

Mix ingredients together and store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.

Yield: 1 1/2 cups
--hide--

Thanks for sharing! I want to make this!!

Would any gentleman would like to share the good food?
Jan 25th 2013 new
Great recipes Brenda, thanks for sharing!
Jan 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Michael-76823 said: Nice idea, Marian ... my mother used to make an awesome chicken dumpling soup. I just can't ...
(Quote) Michael-76823 said:

Nice idea, Marian ... my mother used to make an awesome chicken dumpling soup. I just can't seem to get the dumplings right. Someone on here told me to just use some Bisquick, but I want something a bit more homemade.

Suggestions, recipes anyone?

--hide--

Probably if you mix up a basic biscuit recipe- to make it into a dough... and then throw it in dumpling size bites into the soup? Or am I totally wrong? Michael?

Jan 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Helen-881220 said: my mom used to make dumplings and peas. we asked her how she made the dumplings so slippery and t...
(Quote) Helen-881220 said:

my mom used to make dumplings and peas. we asked her how she made the dumplings so slippery and thin. she laughed and said she uses "annes phyllo" found in the freezer aisle. ( i am hoping that is the name of the product) its been years!

--hide--

Phyllo dough- right? But what shape are the dumplings in?

Jan 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: Tator Tot Casserole 1 lb hamburger 2 cans Cream of soup (I like cream of onion & cre...
(Quote) Brenda-74660 said: Tator Tot Casserole

1 lb hamburger

2 cans Cream of soup (I like cream of onion & cream of chicken)

1/2 chopped onion

2 cups shredded cheese (I usually do a mild-medium cheddar cheese)

1 package tator tots

brown the hamburger & onions, drain....add cream of soup to the drained meat. layer meat in casserole dish (glass cake pan), spread shredded cheese over the top of the meat mixture, then arrange tator tots over the top (the idea is to have the tator tots in rows touching each other. Spray top of tator tots with a cooking spray. Then bake in 350 degree oven until tots are toasted brown...I think it takes about 20 minutes....
--hide--

Hopefully the bachelors(and bachelorettes) on the site are eating heartily in this cold weather! THANK YOU Brenda for the recipe!

Jan 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Michael-76823 said: (Quote) Brenda-74660 said: it is yummy you betcha......
(Quote) Michael-76823 said:

Quote:
Brenda-74660 said:

it is yummy

you betcha...

and thanks for the chicken and dumpling recipe!

--hide--

That should help? Does that seem closer to what you may have had? My Aunt used to make a Chicken A La King that was so good. I guess she used heavy cream, half and half or sour cream- I wouldn't know which or what amount of which.

Jan 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Kahirup-898887 said: Talking about food, the following will definitely get this hungry man's attention: 1. spicy...
(Quote) Kahirup-898887 said:

Talking about food, the following will definitely get this hungry man's attention: 1. spicy seafood dish, 2. lamb chops or rack-o-lamb , or 3. good old fashioned steak

--hide--

Kahirup,

Do you have a recipe for the seafood dish? Or a dish you like?

Jan 25th 2013 new

(Quote) Erin-419365 said: This is great Marion! Thanks for starting this "yummy" post! Ok, so it's been freezing cold...
(Quote) Erin-419365 said: This is great Marion! Thanks for starting this "yummy" post! Ok, so it's been freezing cold here in Washington for weeks...definitely hearty soup and stew weather! So this weekend it will be a delicious, savory beef, mushroom and barley soup simmering in the crock pot, with fresf baked corn bread, honey and melted butter....mmmmmmm!!!
--hide--

ERIN this sounds like a soup I like to make. I have made something like this a few times this winter and am due to make it again.THIS one sounds wonderful. Do you want to share any hints about your recipe?

Posts 11 - 20 of 69