Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Calling all Nerds!

Jan 27th 2013 new

It doesn't seem like there have been very many threads about nature or science in a while - how about we change that and share something cool about this beautiful and fascinating world? Here's a neat nature/science video!

www.nikonsmallworld.com

I'm not a scientist, just a fan laughing, so I can't say I really understand the processes going on, but I think it's really neat how life at the cellular level often seems to look a lot like teeny-tiny versions of things you can see without a microscope. Or sometimes completely alien, but that's another story.

I know there are other nerds and nature lovers on here - have any of you seen anything or heard anything wild in the world of science lately?

Jan 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernadette-605528 said: share something cool about this beautiful and fascinating world?
(Quote) Bernadette-605528 said: share something cool about this beautiful and fascinating world?
--hide--

I have not seen anything new-
but I am imagining all of the tiny insect eggs preparing to hatch-
many people watch for praying mantids
or even hatch them out indoors
I watch for their cousins(vegetarian cousins) the stick insects.

Jan 27th 2013 new

Oh, yes! Every winter I'd look for praying mantis egg cases in the bushes. Then watch them in the spring to see the teeny tiny juveniles appear :) Fearsome predators at less than a quarter inch long!

Jan 27th 2013 new
Thank you for the Nikon link- I have seen small world before- but not IN MOTION- the descriptions are a bit stilted but informative
Jan 27th 2013 new
You rang? cool

A former CMer shared this story with me earlier today. Scientists are working on a tractor beam as seen in Star Trek: www.foxnews.com
Jan 27th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernadette-605528 said: I know there are other nerds and nature lovers on here - have any of you seen anything or he...
(Quote) Bernadette-605528 said:

I know there are other nerds and nature lovers on here - have any of you seen anything or heard anything wild in the world of science lately?

--hide--

No nerd here, but I read on the Drudge report that there is supposed to be a huge comet going past earth in Nov. or Dec of this year. It is supposed to be brighter than a full moon.

Jan 30th 2013 new

bump

Jan 30th 2013 new

I am a nerd by heredity. My dad is a Physics buff and he gave me this groaner:

A Higgs-Boson particle walked into a Catholic church one day.

Father looked up and said, "Oh good. We can have mass."

laughing laughing laughing laughing rolling eyes embarassed wave

Jan 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Edward-4511 said: You rang? A former CMer shared this story with me earlier today. Scientists are working on a tr...
(Quote) Edward-4511 said: You rang?

A former CMer shared this story with me earlier today. Scientists are working on a tractor beam as seen in Star Trek: www.foxnews.com
--hide--

COOL! I want one. Maybe I could tractor beam a dinner date. crossfingers

Jan 30th 2013 new

(Quote) Alice-788574 said: I am a nerd by heredity. My dad is a Physics buff and he gave me this groaner: A Higgs-Bos...
(Quote) Alice-788574 said:

I am a nerd by heredity. My dad is a Physics buff and he gave me this groaner:

A Higgs-Boson particle walked into a Catholic church one day.

Father looked up and said, "Oh good. We can have mass."

--hide--

I have a sweater that says, "Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic."

Posts 1 - 10 of 51