Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

I really enjoy riding my 150cc Kymco scooter in the summer for my local tranportation needs.

I like that it has 16 in. wheels so it sits as high as a regular motorcycle in traffic. And it is a beautiful way to enjoy the day.

Anyways, I get 90 mpg. It holds one gallon of gas.

My Dad was a mechanic so we grew up with motorized things, Vespa, Honda 50, Moped, Snowmobiles, my brothers had various motorcycles.

What I am wondering is, do MORE people ride high gas mileage vehicles in WARMER climates than they do in Minnesota ?

Or you can tell me about what you like to ride in the summer ?

Here I think many people don't make the switch because they need a car for winter and for the safety.

It seems like we send a great deal of money out of the state by just driving around.

Jan 27th 2013 new

When I was younger I rode in all types of weather on a 50cc Garelli Moped. Now that I am older 50 degrees is my cut off and since the bikes I ride are vintage

I wait till the salt is off the roads.

For trips around town I have a 1966 Puch 250. Sold by sears.

Me with Puch-ie

"Me with Puch-ie"

The bike I ride across country is a 1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado.

And I have a 56 Matchless I ride to classic events.

Jan 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-841276 said: When I was younger I rode in all types of weather on a 50cc Garelli Moped. Now that I am older 5...
(Quote) Joseph-841276 said:

When I was younger I rode in all types of weather on a 50cc Garelli Moped. Now that I am older 50 degrees is my cut off and since the bikes I ride are vintage

I wait till the salt is off the roads.

For trips around town I have a 1966 Puch 250. Sold by sears.

Me with Puch-ie

"Me with Puch-ie"

The bike I ride across country is a 1972 Moto Guzzi Eldorado.

And I have a 56 Matchless I ride to classic events.

--hide--

Hi Joseph, you must be mechanic yourself to keep those old bikes in shape. Nice Picture.

(I think I need to realize it gets too cold everywhere in the winter, except maybe Texas and such.)

But they are fun in the summer.

Jan 28th 2013 new

I am a mechanic but I don't do it professionally for I got tired of working on other peoples junk, Getting dirty, getting cut, hurt, burned.

So I work as a engineer.

Jan 28th 2013 new

OK, well, in winter I drive my Town and Country van because I have to carry my kids here and there, and their cousins, or my adult friends, etc.

Same in summer!

But, if it's just me --- my 18 speed bicycle!
I even bike the 15 miles to the nearest Olympic size outdoor pool to swim my mile, then bike home the same 15 miles -- but only in good weather.
No can do in snow, so I walk when I can -- a mile to work or 2 miles to church if the weather isn't too bad (I like to attend daily Mass and Saturday night Mass alone and then Sunday morning with my girls).

But when we get a chance, I ride behind my friend George on his big beautiful touring bike.

When the kids were babies they rode in a bike seat on my bike.
When they were 3 or so they moved to a trail-a-bike, then their own bikes, limiting the distance we could go.

Jan 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-841276 said: I am a mechanic but I don't do it professionally for I got tired of working on other peoples...
(Quote) Joseph-841276 said:

I am a mechanic but I don't do it professionally for I got tired of working on other peoples junk, Getting dirty, getting cut, hurt, burned.

So I work as a engineer.

--hide--

You are a smart man.

Jan 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: OK, well, in winter I drive my Town and Country van because I have to carry my kids here and the...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

OK, well, in winter I drive my Town and Country van because I have to carry my kids here and there, and their cousins, or my adult friends, etc.

Same in summer!

But, if it's just me --- my 18 speed bicycle!
I even bike the 15 miles to the nearest Olympic size outdoor pool to swim my mile, then bike home the same 15 miles -- but only in good weather.
No can do in snow, so I walk when I can -- a mile to work or 2 miles to church if the weather isn't too bad (I like to attend daily Mass and Saturday night Mass alone and then Sunday morning with my girls).

But when we get a chance, I ride behind my friend George on his big beautiful touring bike.

When the kids were babies they rode in a bike seat on my bike.
When they were 3 or so they moved to a trail-a-bike, then their own bikes, limiting the distance we could go.

--hide--

You could do triathlon, that's a pretty good work out 30 mile bike, 1 mile swim. I swim so so, probably would sink to the bottom doing a mile. You are a goldfish

Jan 28th 2013 new

I've done triathlons since I was 19 -- every year for a while, then every couple kids, lol, then back to every year, but then it got to cost too much so I just do my own, like going for a couple mile run or walk the same day I bike, swim, bike -- I love summer!

Jan 28th 2013 new

I'd love one of those scooters some time. I'm not sure I'll ever be the one to have my own motorcycle.

Jan 28th 2013 new

(Quote) Rachel-731570 said: I'd love one of those scooters some time. I'm not sure I'll ever be the one to have ...
(Quote) Rachel-731570 said:

I'd love one of those scooters some time. I'm not sure I'll ever be the one to have my own motorcycle.

--hide--

I actually have a motorcycle endorsement, anything over 50cc is actually considered a motorcycle.

I think if I had kids - I would forfeit the scooter (as fun and affordable as it is) - and opt for something on the sidewalk away from the cars.

My brother has an electric bike - its pretty cool his is already 10 yrs. old, but I think the newer ones are only going to be better.

Posts 1 - 10 of 11