Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people under 45. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

Frassati was dedicated to works of social action, charity, prayer and community.
Learn More:Pier Giorgio Frassati

Is it me, or does it seem like most CM members have grad. degrees or are pursuing them, and yet still find time to travel/hold down a job?

My question is--what are your time management secrets that enable you do live a life like that? That is impressive. Most of the members I've browsed are graduates or are pursuing their MA/PhD/other advanced degrees, etc.

Jan 31st 2013 new

good question. those of us with graduate degrees need a steady job to pay the student loans. those in pursuit ... well, I didn't work during grad school, but I certainly wasn't locked in the library.

although - I've run into gentlemen who have graduated from technical schools (or similar 12 -18 mo. programs), who list themselves as having a graduate degree. Could be a confusion thing on their part - as to how to list themselves. I can't speak for the women's profiles. Although, I can attest that there are a lot of smart capable women on this site.

Jan 31st 2013 new

I work 40 hours a week, shift work. I'm currently two years into a three year Bachelor of Theology degree, and my boss has been nagging me to pick up post grad papers to work towards my Masters - which I want. I also want to travel next year, or the year after.

How can I do all this?

Well, I'm cheeky and do a lot of night shifts so I can sit on my backside for hours without being bothered....

But generally, its because I don't have a husband or children to run around after. If I marry, I doubt I'll be able to faff about the way I am now. Everything I'm doing is currently just filler to keep my mind occupied without sulking about the "oh my gosh, I'm 31 and still single! My life is over!" mantra.

I suppose it also helps my calendar that I don't have much of a social life [on account of that horrible shift work].

Feb 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Josh-196444 said: Is it me, or does it seem like most CM members have grad. degrees or are pursuing them, and yet st...
(Quote) Josh-196444 said:

Is it me, or does it seem like most CM members have grad. degrees or are pursuing them, and yet still find time to travel/hold down a job?

My question is--what are your time management secrets that enable you do live a life like that? That is impressive. Most of the members I've browsed are graduates or are pursuing their MA/PhD/other advanced degrees, etc.

--hide--

I worked full time while doing my master's. I had evening classes, and I usually had 2 a week. I had to commute 40 miles each way for class, though, and the classes were 3 hours a piece. So, I typically left my house in the morning and then got back at night. Lots of eating on the road and little sleep. But you just count down your semesters and wait for that diploma and ceremony!

Feb 1st 2013 new

thanks for getting back to me.

It's just I noticed trends...many CMers work full-time jobs and go to grad school AND yet still have time to travel.

The problem with journalism is there is a lot of night meetings and weekends, so no travel, no night school/grad school and low pay. Choose your career wisely.

Feb 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Josh-196444 said: thanks for getting back to me. It's just I noticed trends...many CMers work full-time j...
(Quote) Josh-196444 said:

thanks for getting back to me.

It's just I noticed trends...many CMers work full-time jobs and go to grad school AND yet still have time to travel.

The problem with journalism is there is a lot of night meetings and weekends, so no travel, no night school/grad school and low pay. Choose your career wisely.

--hide--

That was actually my first major.

Feb 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Tara-916865 said: That was actually my first major.
(Quote) Tara-916865 said:

That was actually my first major.

--hide--

Many people I know went to j-school, then switched careers later in life. 29k a year, even with judicious spending habits, will not support oneself even w/cheap apartment, let alone a family. And many people I know switched to PR. When you're in your early 20s journalism is idealistic--but as you grow up you realize you need to survive and journalism is a poor long-term career. Short-term and part-time, it's not bad. But you can't even go to grad school if you have to cover meetings all night! Most grad school classes are at night.

Feb 2nd 2013 new

I am at grad school right now but I dont travel or hold a job. My travel is all from before I entered grad school. I want to travel but I only go where my school tells me to go these days.

Feb 3rd 2013 new

Depending on what your interested in you should consider checking out online classes. Many schools these days offer MA programs totally online. I'm working on my Post-Master's right now and I'm doing it online.

God Bless!

Feb 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Heather-294940 said: Depending on what your interested in you should consider checking out online classes. Many scho...
(Quote) Heather-294940 said:

Depending on what your interested in you should consider checking out online classes. Many schools these days offer MA programs totally online. I'm working on my Post-Master's right now and I'm doing it online.

God Bless!

--hide--

I wish you well in your endeavors. What are your Post-Master's? You mean doctorate?

Posts 1 - 10 of 34