Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Does Hanson have a finger on the pulse of the future, or in a darker place : townhall.com

Shirer vs. Duranty perspectives ?

Feb 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Bernie-645443 said: Does Hanson have a finger on the pulse of the future, or in a darker place : http://townhall.com...
(Quote) Bernie-645443 said:

Does Hanson have a finger on the pulse of the future, or in a darker place : townhall.com

Shirer vs. Duranty perspectives ?

--hide--

I am not sure that it is America's place to get involved in what happened in Northern Africa, or is happening
now in China and Japan, or with North Korea's impoverished nation.

We are not the watchdog of the world. Bad enough when Bush Jr. decided to liberate the
Iraqi people from their perilous ruler. It was not our place to interfere in the first place.

Of course, there are going to be unwanted ramifications from these world-wide events, but there is no way
that we should change them now. They are all sovereign nations, and we have to respect that, as a soverign
nation ourself.

And the real bottom line is that America does not have the military or the money to tackle any issues
outside of its borders with regard to the above nations.

Feb 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Marianne-100218 said: I am not sure that it is America's place to get involved in what happened in North...
(Quote) Marianne-100218 said:

I am not sure that it is America's place to get involved in what happened in Northern Africa, or is happening
now in China and Japan, or with North Korea's impoverished nation.

We are not the watchdog of the world. Bad enough when Bush Jr. decided to liberate the
Iraqi people from their perilous ruler. It was not our place to interfere in the first place.

Of course, there are going to be unwanted ramifications from these world-wide events, but there is no way
that we should change them now. They are all sovereign nations, and we have to respect that, as a soverign
nation ourself.

And the real bottom line is that America does not have the military or the money to tackle any issues
outside of its borders with regard to the above nations.

--hide--
Hi Marianne, 0bama is doing his best to make sure the U S no longer has the capability to aid any other nation attacked by a larger or more powerful nation. Obama's economic policies are removing our capability to maintain a strong military.

The question isn't really about intervention, it is about the ability to keep freedom of the seas, and about the "rule of law" among nations. There has been a basically peaceful era in the world for 68 years due to U S military protecting the weak. When foreign goods can't be imported, and big countries attack smaller ones to seize energy resources, will we regret the downsizing ?

Feb 1st 2013 new
(Quote) Bernie-645443 said: Hi Marianne, 0bama is doing his best to make sure the U S no longer has the capability to aid any other nation...

Hi Marianne, 0bama is doing his best to make sure the U S no longer has the capability to aid any other nation attacked by a larger or more powerful nation. Obama's economic policies are removing our capability to maintain a strong military.

The question isn't really about intervention, it is about the ability to keep freedom of the seas, and about the "rule of law" among nations. There has been a basically peaceful era in the world for 68 years due to U S military protecting the weak. When foreign goods can't be imported, and big countries attack smaller ones to seize energy resources, will we regret the downsizing ?

--hide--
Feb 1st 2013 new

(Quote) Bernie-645443 said: Hi Marianne, 0bama is doing his best to make sure the U S no longer ha...

--hide--

Yes, Bernie, I agree with you on your first paragraph, that Obama is removing our capability to maintain a strong military, and
he is also probably trying to have us get rid of the missiles and strike capabilities that we already have.

I think we are still keeping freedom of the seas, especially with the pirates attacking ships and boats near Somalia.
But big countries attacking smaller ones is not something you mentioned before except the China and Japan reference.
I am pretty sure the US has contractual agreement to defend Japan anyway since WW2. From what I understand,
China is not a militarily aggressive country. I hope that is true and we will not have to worry about them.

I don't think we should go into Syria. I know the people are suffering terribly. Maybe a joint universal effort would
work out better. I personally think the people who are trying to overthrow Syria are not from Syria. I have also
heard that from the friends that I have who live in the middle East. Unfortunately, the Syrians have had
a bad time under their ruler, but that too is a sovereign country. At the same time, the efforts in Syria
parallel the Arab Spring efforts in Northern Africa. So we should not get involved because we almost did not
get involved in the Arab Spring struggles. They were their struggles. Now we find out differently.

To tell you the truth, Bernie, there is so much covert activity going on with the US Government helping out,
that I don't even know what to think anymore. Is it good, is it bad? So, it is not a clean and simple answer
anymore. The US helps who it wants to help so they become our allies, and we don't know about it,
like the Taliban in Afghanistan.

The world is changing so rapidly. So much upheaval.

Posts 1 - 5 of 5