Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, love is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails....... Corinthians 13:4-8

There have been a number of topics lately about things that love is NOT. It is not about older women prowling for young men to entice and control. It is not about older men looking for younger women to increase their chances of fatherhood. These things are an abuse of the gifts of love or sexuality - these kinds of relationships are NOT God's will.

While this passage in the New Testament is beautiful to read, it is EXTREMELY difficult to implement! It is a fair bet that the majority of folks on this site (including me) have failed to understand how to make this the basis of their relationship - and so here we are! When we can finally put aside our freedom-loving egos and realize that we are really two sides of the same coin, then we will see the selfishness that destroys the love we try so desperately to have. When we live our relationships remembering Corinthians 13:13 we understand what God's will in love really is.

02/03/2013 new

Nice

02/03/2013 new
Nicely phrased....good food for thought.
02/03/2013 new

Thank you for sharing Joseph, we all must remember to put love first in all relationships.

02/03/2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-750000 said: Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, love is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is...
(Quote) Joseph-750000 said:

Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, love is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is not rude, it does not seek its own interests, it is not quick-tempered, it does not brood over injury, it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails....... Corinthians 13:4-8

There have been a number of topics lately about things that love is NOT. It is not about older women prowling for young men to entice and control. It is not about older men looking for younger women to increase their chances of fatherhood. These things are an abuse of the gifts of love or sexuality - these kinds of relationships are NOT God's will.

While this passage in the New Testament is beautiful to read, it is EXTREMELY difficult to implement! It is a fair bet that the majority of folks on this site (including me) have failed to understand how to make this the basis of their relationship - and so here we are! When we can finally put aside our freedom-loving egos and realize that we are really two sides of the same coin, then we will see the selfishness that destroys the love we try so desperately to have. When we live our relationships remembering Corinthians 13:13 we understand what God's will in love really is.

--hide--

Way to get us to reflect a bit more on the 2nd reading of today's Mass, Joseph! Your reflection is so true! And that's why we NEED God's help in order to LOVE like that! That's why we have the SACRAMENT of Marriage - because when we try to love with our own limited abilities, we fail. Only God and His grace can allow us to LOVE as God loves - freely, giving ourselves as a gift to the other, and in sacrifice! Happy Sunday!

02/03/2013 new

The priest said in his homily today that you could subsitute the word "God" for the word "Love". Once we know, truly know, who and what God is we then know what Love is. I found that to be incredibly beautiful. theheart

02/03/2013 new

(Quote) Joseph-750000 said: Love is patient, love is kind. It is not jealous, love is not pompous, it is not inflated, it is...

--hide--

Thanks for this post, Joseph. Today, Father preached about St. Paul's description of love being a description of Christ Himself. theheart Only God can love like this and yet we are called to "be perfect as your Heavenly Father is perfect". It is so lofty - such a love can only be completely perfect in the Beatific Vision. But we are not to wait until Heaven to give and receive love. Especially in our imperfection, we are called to imitate the love of Christ. At best, we can be loving. At best, we can be Christ-like. Sometimes, we fail and muddy the waters. That doesn't mean we give up.

Love Himself does not fail.

And we need to keep trying to unite ourselves to Him, and to each other for love of Him. wave

02/03/2013 new

--hide--
See Heather's comment about substituting "God" for the word "love" in St. Paul's letter.

A speaker on Relevant Radio did something similar -- he talked about substituting the word "Christ" for "love". He went further yet by suggesting, as his wife had said, subsituting the word "I" for "love". (Obviously doing that would require some grammatical changes as well.) He went on the say by doing so, the passage would read "I am patient; I am kind, and so on....."

Enter the human factor and we won't live up to that passage all of the time, but we can try to stay on track as much and as often as we can.

02/03/2013 new

(Quote) Jessica-897416 said: Thank you for sharing Joseph, we all must remember to put love first in all relationships. ...
(Quote) Jessica-897416 said:

Thank you for sharing Joseph, we all must remember to put love first in all relationships.

--hide--
Very true Jessica. I would phrase it as putting THE love first because it is the product of two people. This means letting go of one's self and trying to see that it's about another person. We so often ignore this and say, "I'm" in love, when it would be so much better to say, "We share this love".

02/03/2013 new

(Quote) Kristen-878108 said: Way to get us to reflect a bit more on the 2nd reading of today's Mass, Joseph...
(Quote) Kristen-878108 said:

Way to get us to reflect a bit more on the 2nd reading of today's Mass, Joseph! Your reflection is so true! And that's why we NEED God's help in order to LOVE like that! That's why we have the SACRAMENT of Marriage - because when we try to love with our own limited abilities, we fail. Only God and His grace can allow us to LOVE as God loves - freely, giving ourselves as a gift to the other, and in sacrifice! Happy Sunday!

--hide--
Reflect is certainly the word here Kristen. After seeing some of the viewpoints expressed this week in various forums that focused so much on age, and the lively discourse that followed (and I had as much fun as the next person throwing my two-cents in) hearing todays reading made me realize how far our thinking can drift when we focus on our own opinions instead of the TRUTH as told in today's second reading.

Posts 1 - 10 of 37