Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

James started a thread a few hours ago asking women this question. I think it's a great one! (Thanks again, James).

So, I (and I'm sure many of the CM ladies) would love to know if there are any CM men out there who are striving to be saints.

Feb 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: James started a thread a few hours ago asking women this question. I think it's a great one...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

James started a thread a few hours ago asking women this question. I think it's a great one! (Thanks again, James).

So, I (and I'm sure many of the CM ladies) would love to know if there are any CM men out there who are striving to be saints.

--hide--

Striving is the word. I am human and sometimes stumble. When I remember the Lord and look for Him in my daily life(and thank Him too!), I can get back on track.
Seek ye first the Kingdom of God
or: O Lord I want to be in that Number(When the Saints Come Marchin' In!)

Feb 2nd 2013 new

(Quote) John-34848 said: Striving is the word. I am human and sometimes stumble. When I remember the Lord and look f...
(Quote) John-34848 said:

Striving is the word. I am human and sometimes stumble. When I remember the Lord and look for Him in my daily life(and thank Him too!), I can get back on track.
Seek ye first the Kingdom of God
or: O Lord I want to be in that Number(When the Saints Come Marchin' In!)

--hide--

Thanks, John, for being the first CM man to answer this important question. And, I agree with you, all we can do is strive!wave

Feb 3rd 2013 new

Wow, so many women have replied in the affirmative to this same question in the thread that was started a few hours before this one, but only one man on this site has replied here? Starting to make me wonder . . .

Feb 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: Wow, so many women have replied in the affirmative to this same question in the thread that was...

Wow, so many women have replied in the affirmative to this same question in the thread that was started a few hours before this one, but only one man on this site has replied here? Starting to make me wonder . . .

--hide--
It really shows who the night owls are. Given the time, I'm guessing most of the men are fast asleep, or fixing snacks for tomorrow's Super Bowl game.

Either way -- sainthood is what we all should be seeking. As John said, as humans we're all imperfect, but we attempt to do better in words, thoughts and deeds. All men (and women, as well) can become saints. It's our goal.

Part of my frequent meditation is focused upon what I've done, and how I could have done better in the same circumstances. This is a form of preparation for the next similar occurence, should it take place. Another part of meditation is to be thankful for gifts the Good Lord saw fit to bestow upon me. Do I have everything I want? No. Do I have everything I need? Yes!!!

As time passes, more thought is given to spiritual matters and how time is best spent in His service. We can interject something more meaningful in most things we do. Even CM is a good example. Am I here merely to "take" (i.e., find a suitable spouse)? No. While I'm here, I try to spread some humor around, help boost others' self-esteem, be a cheerleader for them, keep their prayer intentions in mind, and so on.

Mental efforts are focused on how to best be of service to others on a daily basis. Opportunities are forever there -- we just have to keep our eyes opened so we can help when and where we can.

I could go on (and on) but I hope that gives you some insight into my way of thinking -- about the spiritual life and sainthood. I'm far from qualified, but that goal is still in sight.

Feb 3rd 2013 new

Of course. I fail frequently, but then I get back up, go to confession, and do better as much as I can with the help of all the grace God can give me. That is why I practice Catholicism. I am hoping to be really good at it with enough time and instruction wink , by the grace of God I hope to make it home to heaven. If that is not where we are trying to go, I am certain we can attain the other rather easily as that road is wide and easy. I certainly hope we are trying to get there.

Feb 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: Wow, so many women have replied in the affirmative to this same question in the thread that was...

--hide--
Just to add a couple of thoughts....

I don't think that a most of us conscienciously think about being saints. Comparing the known lives of the canonized saints with ours is quite humbling, and makes me realize I'm far from being placed in that category. I often think of St Joseph -- the quiet saint, who went about his business in such a humble fashion as to go almost completely unnoticed. We know so little about him -- his background and life. There is no mention of St Joseph passing away either.

And so it is that I think we put this lofty goal tucked away in our minds that we aren't totally aware of it. Our time here is to be spent becomming better spiritual beings. Although sainthood is what we all strive for, our daily prayers don't include the petition, "Lord, make me a saint." Rather, it is "Lord, help me to become a better person -- by learning and following Your will. Show me the way."

Feb 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Ray-566531 said: Just to add a couple of thoughts.... I don't think that a most of us conscienciously thi...
(Quote) Ray-566531 said:

I don't think that a most of us conscienciously think about being saints. Comparing the known lives of the canonized saints with ours is quite humbling, and makes me realize I'm far from being placed in that category. I often think of St Joseph -- the quiet saint, who went about his business in such a humble fashion as to go almost completely unnoticed. We know so little about him -- his background and life. There is no mention of St Joseph passing away either.

And so it is that I think we put this lofty goal tucked away in our minds that we aren't totally aware of it. Our time here is to be spent becomming better spiritual beings. Although sainthood is what we all strive for, our daily prayers don't include the petition, "Lord, make me a saint." Rather, it is "Lord, help me to become a better person -- by learning and following Your will. Show me the way."

--hide--

Hi Ray, but why not include the prayer to God "Lord, help me to live the life of a saint doing whatever You want me to do"? This is along the lines of how I talk/pray to God. Of course, I agree with your prayer, too! (Hope you had a great birthday!party )

Feb 3rd 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: (Quote) Ray-566531 said: Just to add a couple of thoughts.... I d...

Quote:
Ray-566531 said:

Hi Ray, but why not include the prayer to God "Lord, help me to live the life of a saint doing whatever You want me to do"? This is along the lines of how I talk/pray to God. Of course, I agree with your prayer, too! (Hope you had a great birthday! )

--hide--

I think St Thomas Aquinas, Augustine and St Thomas More have inspired me the most to want to be a saint. There have been others too. I would think that men would feel that if they look at the lives of our saints --that somehow it helps to make it seem like something worth trying to do.

I know a man who maintains a holy hour before the Blessed Sacrament every Sunday from 4:00 to 5:00. That is a start. If men are wondering where to start- it would be time in prayer and before the Blessed Sacrament.

Feb 4th 2013 new

Gosh, I'm so disappointed that on this Catholic site only 3 men have responded to this thread (whereas a much larger number of women have responded to the corresponding thread asking the same question of women). I'm curious as to why this is. Are men on this site NOT striving to be saints, or are they just hesitant to say that in the forums (but if that is the case, then why?) Frankly, I would think women would find men who responded to this (in the affirmative) more attractive to them (as was/is being discussed in another thread about holy actions, so to speak).

So, why aren't you replying to this, guys? Inquiring minds want to know!

Posts 1 - 10 of 11