Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

02/04/2013 new

(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said: Oddly enough, a study was done by a group at the University of British Colombia in Cana...
(Quote) Chelsea-743484 said:

Oddly enough, a study was done by a group at the University of British Colombia in Canada showing that the efficacy and safety of the vaccine is not necessarily what is being told parents and young people by physicians wishing to give the vaccine.

The abstract of the study states:

"We carried out a systematic review of HPV vaccine pre- and post-licensure trials to assess the evidence of their effectiveness and safety. We find that HPV vaccine clinical trials design, and data interpretation of both efficacy and safety outcomes, were largely inadequate. Additionally, we note evidence of selective reporting of results from clinical trials (i.e., exclusion of vaccine efficacy figures related to study subgroups in which efficacy might be lower or even negative from peer-reviewed publications). Given this, the widespread optimism regarding HPV vaccines long-term benefits appears to rest on a number of unproven assumptions (or such which are at odd with factual evidence) and significant misinterpretation of available data. For example, the claim that HPV vaccination will result in approximately 70% reduction of cervical cancers is made despite the fact that the clinical trials data have not demonstrated to date that the vaccines have actually prevented a single case of cervical cancer (let alone cervical cancer death), nor that the current overly optimistic surrogate marker-based extrapolations are justified. Likewise, the notion that HPV vaccines have an impressive safety profile is only supported by highly flawed design of safety trials and is contrary to accumulating evidence from vaccine safety surveillance databases and case reports which continue to link HPV vaccination to serious adverse outcomes (including death and permanent disabilities). We thus conclude that further reduction of cervical cancers might be best achieved by optimizing cervical screening (which carries no such risks) and targeting other factors of the disease rather than by the reliance on vaccines with questionable efficacy and safety profiles."

here is the source:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov

Anyway, the only thing that I could imagine would be the reason to vaccinate someone with such a dangerous substance is for money. But, it could be seen by parents who allow it and the young people who get it as a license to have pre-marital relations.

--hide--

I agree. The HPV vaccine has been given to 12-13 year old girls in my country for 10 years with no serious side effects, increase in child sexual curiosity, or the sexualisation of any receiving the vaccine.

It prevents or lessens to be more accurate cervical/ovarian cancers in women. If you had nursed a dying girl with either you wouldnt be so concerned about the vaccine but more about not having the vaccine.

The originator of the thread said she had a 12 year old son, I would be more concerned about why a doctor wanted to give a prophalactic vaccine for female cancers to a male!

Vaccines are an important Public Health need, as the resurgence of TB and polio shows. These once unknown diseases in the modern world, due to mass vaccination, are being spread again by immigrants comming from less developed countries. The spread is placing all those below the age of 35 at risk due to the ceasation of vaccination in modern countries to the general populace and making our children and young adults more vulnerable to these terrible diseases we once thought beaten.

I wouldn't dismiss vaccination as quackery so quickly, the results of non immunity puts us all at risk and the effects are devastating. Spainish flu is thought to have killed 18 million people in 1918-1920 when it first struck. Bird flu killed 1 million in 2008. At least we can be vaccinated against flu(s) viri now.

02/04/2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: Thanks for your responses. I didn't realize the safety of the vaccine is in question. We really...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

Thanks for your responses. I didn't realize the safety of the vaccine is in question. We really can't trust doctors at all, can we?

--hide--

You can trust doctors just fine, its the tree hugging illinformed on the internet you cant trust. If you want to find out about HPV vaccine I suggest you read the Peer Reviewed website www.medscape.com< and select Ministry of Health or Medsafe.

02/04/2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-624504 said: You can trust doctors just fine, its the tree hugging illinformed on the internet you ...
(Quote) Patrick-624504 said:

You can trust doctors just fine, its the tree hugging illinformed on the internet you cant trust. If you want to find out about HPV vaccine I suggest you read the Peer Reviewed website www.medscape.com< and select Ministry of Health or Medsafe.

--hide--

02/04/2013 new

--hide--

well that didnt work. sorry

the above the above should have read

http://www.govt.nz

and select Ministry of Health or Medsafe

02/04/2013 new

www.youtube.com

I thought this was educational. I don't think HPV vaccine is a free ticket to have sex, but to prevent silent cervical cancers in the future as the numbers are hugh by the time people are 50. My daughters had them as it was recommended by their pediatrician whom they have gone to since they were born. Heck, if there is something there to prevent cancers, why not? It is just a safe and smart choice but everyone has to make up their own minds obviously.

02/04/2013 new

I'm "copping out" on this one. My son's getting vaccines for everything, but I don't tell him what they're for other than "to help your body know which microbes and viruses to fight off." I plan to have them administer Gardasil when he's older along with the rest of the "usual" vaccines for that age group. He likely won't even notice since they do many things as combined injections now.

I actually consider this protecting his future wife, because he's in the hospital a lot due to other things and sex isn't necessarily the only way things like viruses spread. I have had an MRSA infection (methycillin resistant staphyloccocus aureus) even though I don't work in healthcare, either from gym or from working at an elementary. The fact my son hasn't had to suffer through chicken pox is amazing to me, my brother and sister and I all had that when we were about his age because there was no vaccine.

Ultimately, this is up to you. There is a degree of responsibility you take as a parent which may not always involve your child. For instance, I didn't know until I was telling my mother about beginning prepayments for my funeral plan that she'd taken out a life insurance policy on me when I was small because we had the possibility of traveling in some dangerous areas; great for me now, because she kept it active all these years and I thought I had no insurance, but she never felt the need to tell me about it because I was a child and it just would have been confusing. She had almost forgotten about it too, as it had become a monthly bill like car insurance that she just paid and went on with.

02/04/2013 new

And what if you choose not to vaccinate your child and he falls in love with and marries someone that carries HPV? You can't look at your son at 12 and know what he's going to do when he's 22. Would it not be better to protect him now? You can teach him in the way you think he should go, but in the end his free will is his own choice. The healthcare professionals in this thread probably know more than the lay people giving you advice that they got off the internet.

02/04/2013 new

(Quote) Katherine-868943 said: I'm "copping out" on this one. My son's getting vaccines for everything, bu...
(Quote) Katherine-868943 said:

I'm "copping out" on this one. My son's getting vaccines for everything, but I don't tell him what they're for other than "to help your body know which microbes and viruses to fight off." I plan to have them administer Gardasil when he's older along with the rest of the "usual" vaccines for that age group. He likely won't even notice since they do many things as combined injections now.

I actually consider this protecting his future wife, because he's in the hospital a lot due to other things and sex isn't necessarily the only way things like viruses spread. I have had an MRSA infection (methycillin resistant staphyloccocus aureus) even though I don't work in healthcare, either from gym or from working at an elementary. The fact my son hasn't had to suffer through chicken pox is amazing to me, my brother and sister and I all had that when we were about his age because there was no vaccine.

Ultimately, this is up to you. There is a degree of responsibility you take as a parent which may not always involve your child. For instance, I didn't know until I was telling my mother about beginning prepayments for my funeral plan that she'd taken out a life insurance policy on me when I was small because we had the possibility of traveling in some dangerous areas; great for me now, because she kept it active all these years and I thought I had no insurance, but she never felt the need to tell me about it because I was a child and it just would have been confusing. She had almost forgotten about it too, as it had become a monthly bill like car insurance that she just paid and went on with.

--hide--

I agree with you Katherine.. Just because vaccine is given doesn't mean that 'the child' has to know what the vaccine is for until they are able to maturely handle the information. We all want to believe that 'our child' isn't going to engage in premarital sex, but having raised 4 of them my answer would be 'Get your head out of the sand'.. Once they start the moment to protect them is gone.

02/04/2013 new

mmm, just for peace of mind, i went that route with my daughter. she was about 18, and also gave her consent. like donna said, when its too late, its too late! HPV can cause cervical cancer, and unless a gal has yearly pap smears, it will not be detected.

02/04/2013 new

It's a tough decision and I have held off with my 16 yr old this long but will have her vaccinated within a year. I have a little different take on this that I will share. After discussing the facts of my husband's infidelity with my gynecologic oncologist (I had borderline ovarian cancer which is not HPV related) she said I might want to be vaccinated but it was a tough call. She said she was pretty sure I was exposed to HPV but didn't know if it would be of benefit at this point in time. I guess they can vaccinate up to age 45, or so she told me. At 38 I didn't expect I would ever be in this situation but I was. I guess knowing that we can only control ourselves, and sadly not even our spouses, I will do what I can to prevent/protect my daughter. We've talked about the vaccine, what it's for and while I know right now that sex is not an issue (Thank you God) I can't say what will happen down the line with her. I'm doing my best to teach her what God asks of us and pray for wisdom and guidance. It's not an easy decision for anyone, regardless of what some people might think. Just my two cents

Posts 11 - 20 of 166