Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is dedicated to those who are facing the challenge of raising children without the support of a spouse. This is a place to share ideas and lend mutual support.

Saint Rita is known to be a patroness for abused wives and mourning women.
Learn More: Saint Rita

02/04/2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-624504 said: well that didnt work. sorry the above the above should have read http://...
(Quote) Patrick-624504 said:

well that didnt work. sorry

the above the above should have read

http://www.govt.nz

and select Ministry of Health or Medsafe

--hide--

What are we supposed to be looking at? The "Health" link transfers to 3 pages with 45 links.

It would be helpful if you copy the URL of the page of interest and post that rather than expecting the reader to sort through pages of links to find the rignt one.

02/04/2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-624504 said: You can trust doctors just fine, its the tree hugging illinformed on the internet you cant trus...

You can trust doctors just fine, its the tree hugging illinformed on the internet you cant trust. If you want to find out about HPV vaccine I suggest you read the Peer Reviewed website www.medscape.com< and select Ministry of Health or Medsafe.

--hide--

The University of British Columbia medical school (the source of the report Chelsea posted) is a group of ill-informed tree huggers? scratchchin I never would have expected...

02/04/2013 new

(Quote) Cathy-564420 said: www.youtube.com thought this was educational. I don't thi...
(Quote) Cathy-564420 said:

www.youtube.com

I thought this was educational. I don't think HPV vaccine is a free ticket to have sex, but to prevent silent cervical cancers in the future as the numbers are hugh by the time people are 50. My daughters had them as it was recommended by their pediatrician whom they have gone to since they were born. Heck, if there is something there to prevent cancers, why not? It is just a safe and smart choice but everyone has to make up their own minds obviously.

--hide--

The problem is, according to the abstract of the article Chelsea posted (from the University of British Columbia medical school) there is apparently no valid evidence that the vaccine DOES prevent cervical cancer. However, there is "accumulating evidence from vaccine safety surveillance databases and case reports which continue to link HPV vaccination to serious adverse outcomes (including death and permanent disabilities)"

02/04/2013 new

(Quote) Patrick-624504 said: I agree. The HPV vaccine has been given to 12-13 year old girls in my country for 10 years with...

I agree. The HPV vaccine has been given to 12-13 year old girls in my country for 10 years with no serious side effects, increase in child sexual curiosity, or the sexualisation of any receiving the vaccine.

--hide--

Citations of the studies supporting this claim, please.

02/04/2013 new

(Quote) Helen-881220 said: mmm, just for peace of mind, i went that route with my daughter. she was about 18, and also gave ...
(Quote) Helen-881220 said:

mmm, just for peace of mind, i went that route with my daughter. she was about 18, and also gave her consent. like donna said, when its too late, its too late! HPV can cause cervical cancer, and unless a gal has yearly pap smears, it will not be detected.

--hide--

HPV isn't the only caise of cervical cancer, so if one is concerned about same they will have to have the yearly pap smears, vaccinated or not.

02/04/2013 new

(Quote) Naomi-698107 said: A lot more people have died from reactions to Antibotics and paracetamol then they have to vaccin...
(Quote) Naomi-698107 said:

A lot more people have died from reactions to Antibotics and paracetamol then they have to vaccines, and people generally hav eno problem popping back a few of them.

Yes, all vaccines carry a level of risk, just like every medication you pop in your body, heck, even your lipstick could kill you under certain circumstances; but generally only to individuals with pre-existing or undiagnosed medical conditions.

The argument about the vaccine being a license for sex is a faulty one. It once again seeks to blame women especially for fornication, and generally admitting people can't control themselves. The vax. offers protection against a form of cancer. A horribly silent cancer, until its too late that is. Husband with a previous history could give it to virgin wife on their honeymoon! The woman could be raped. The vaccine isn't going to turn 16 year old girls into strumpets.

Good information, and most especially good parenting should protect children from fornicating under the impression the vax. protects them from everything.

Doctors are human beings, and I take some offense that implies none should be trusted. Sure, there are some doctors who are scum bags, just like there are some lawyers, teachers, gardners who are scum bags.

We wouldn't say "no priests should be trusted" because of a few paedophiles, so why blame the whole profession because of the sins of a few?

Its not a vital vaccination, I'm sure a lot of people will be fine without it, but the fear mongering has got to stop, not just for HPV vax, but for all the vaccines currently on the market.

--hide--

I have to agree with Naomi when she says, "The vaccine isn't going to turn 16 year old girls into strumpets."

Assuming the vaccine is effective, the concern about its remote connection to fostering promiscuity is, to put it bluntly, utter nonsense.

The fact that legitimate questions exist about both its effectiveness and safety are separate isses, fully deserving of investigation. A parent should settle those questions in their own minds, based on best available date, before deciding to allow or not allow their children to receive it.

As an example, I have never allowed myself to be vaccinated against diphtheria. Not because I doubt its effectiveness or safety. In my case, it just was not and is not needed. My mother had and fully recovered from the disease the year before I was born. As a result, I inherited a natural immunity from her. As small as the risk for that particular vaccine is, there just is no sense in my exposing myself to even that small risk, just to be on the safe side.

No one believed me about this starting with my first Military physical and every time I have had a new Doctor. Since my medical records do not show I have ever received the vaccine, they all recommend it strongly. I always refuse and tell them to test me if they don't believe me. The tests always show I am immune. In the Army I was threatened with Courts Martial for refusing that vaccine. I responded by challenging them to test me. The test showed I was immune and that stopped all the nonsense.

02/04/2013 new

(Quote) Jerry-74383 said: The University of British Columbia medical school (the source of the report Chelsea poste...
(Quote) Jerry-74383 said:

The University of British Columbia medical school (the source of the report Chelsea posted) is a group of ill-informed tree huggers? I never would have expected...

--hide--

Of course Jerry. One of BC's major industries is lumbering. Of course, they are all tree huggers. weeping weeping faint wave wave wave

Excuse me while I go off to the side and remove my tounge from being stick firmly in my cheek

02/04/2013 new

Some pretty smart young people on here. That is nice to see.

I take no strong stance on the HSV vaccine. To make a decision one should know the following:

The current HSV vaccine is intented to prevent infection and transmission by HSV 16/18. These are the variants implicated in cervical and possibly other cancer types.

Every single FDA approved vaccine type (over the last 20 years) has had far less adverse effects than the incidence of serious adverse effects seen with antibiotic use. This also applies to the Herpes vacicine.

There are more than 20 million people in USA infected with HSV. 7 percent of those infected have had one sex partner in their lifetime. Vaccine effectiveness follow the concept of herd immunity which proposes that, in contagious diseases that are transmitted from individual to individual, chains of infection are likely to be disrupted when large numbers of a population are immune or less susceptible to the disease. This is why people that dont get flu vaccine place others in the herd at risk.

Vaccines got alot of bad press after the publication of that Lancet article by wakefield suggesting that autism was connected to vaccines. Many people decided to forgoe vaccinations for their children. The study was later to be proven fabricated and false. The author, a physician, was paid to write this false publication. It is now estimated that many children died world wide due to the decline in vaccination rates. He is a bad physician and a bad man.

The New England Journal of Medicine said that antivaccinationist activities due to the autism paper resulted in a high cost to society, "including damage to individual and community well-being from outbreaks of previously controlled diseases, withdrawal of vaccine manufacturers from the market, compromising of national security (in the case of anthrax and smallpox vaccines), a loss of public trust, and lost productivity".

02/04/2013 new

I got the vaccine when I was 21, and wasn't inclined to go out and start having sex. Just sayin'. Same goes when I got on birth control for medical reasons. A good, moral, upbringing will far outweigh any medical leeways.

02/04/2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: My son had his checkup today, and this is the second time the doctor has talked to me about an HPV ...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

My son had his checkup today, and this is the second time the doctor has talked to me about an HPV vaccine for him. Most of you probably know that HPV is a sexually transmitted disease that increases the risk of cervical cancer in women. My son is only 12, and they are already recommending this type of thing! But my question is not really related to age. Do you think it's wise to vaccinate your teenager, be it at 12 or 17, against HPV? To me it seems like doing so is giving them an approval for pre-marital sex. It says, don't have sex, but let's get you vaccinated just in case you do. Thoughts?

--hide--

Jesus healed on the sabbath and by the strict letter of the law he was committing a great sin. But Jesus did so ( in part) because he placed easing human suffering above the strict letter of the law. As Catholics we should never place are own sense of moral purity above an opportunity to help ease human suffering. Giving him the vaccination may save the live of the woman he loves in the future.

I can also tell you with 99.9999% certainty his choice to have or not to have pre-marital sex will have nothing to do with you giving him the HPV vaccine.

Posts 21 - 30 of 166