Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Devoted to discussion pertaining to those issues which are specifically relevant to people 45+. Topics must have a specific perspective of people in this age group for it to be on topic.

The story of Abraham and Sarah is told in chapters 11-25 of the book of Genesis.
Learn More:Abraham & Sarah

Feb 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: Really, I don't know why anyone would say that nowadays, unless they're jealous...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

Really, I don't know why anyone would say that nowadays, unless they're jealous of you perhaps. Frankly, although I do stop looking from time to time, I doubt that I'll call it quits for good until I reach age , oh, 90 or so (then again, I have seen women in their mid-80's dating so who knows - that's a long ways off). And, really, no physician (and, I know, because I am one), let alone PA should be telling you that you have a certain amount of time left to live. None of us knows how long or how short our life is - I think that's up to God. So, I would ignore him/her unless he/she was trying to get you to do some preventive medical care, etc. We could get run over by a bus tomorrow or live to 106 or more (there are a couple ladies in their 100's in my high-rise condo bldg. and 1 of them doesn't look a day over 80 - and I'm serious here.) So, if I were you, I would either ignore what anyone says, or just stop telling them what you're doing since really it's no one's business but your own!

--hide--
Yeah, I know. Next time I'll keep my big mouth shut! Thanks for the advice, Patricia. theheart

Feb 4th 2013 new

[quote]Nilda-834707 said:

I was just recently told why are you doing this? Meaning -- why do you bother at your age about finding a man? It's as though reaching the age of 60 is the legal age limit, and STOP participating in the game we call life. Also, I was recently reminded by a PA at a local clinic of having at least two more decades of life. Up until that point in time, I had never given it a second thought. Well, I left feeling worse than I did coming in.

I would like to know if others my age have experienced this as well.

waveHello Nilda, the following are my responses to the why question. I'm looking because I want to, hugs and kisses still feel really nice, men still smell good, it's fun to do things with a man who cares about you, they are cute when washing the car, and most of all I'm not dead. Towels are for throwing in the wash not for making life choices.

The most annoying thing that has happened to me is the idea assumed by younger coworkers that I should want a much younger man. I have younger men in my life I call them my sons. The next man in my life is just for me to share many happy moments. Two decades is a lot of life to enjoy. So Nilda enjoy looking and give a smile to those who think love has age limits.

Feb 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Joyce-844872 said: (Quote) Nilda-834707 said: I was just recently told why are you doing this...
(Quote) Joyce-844872 said:

[quote]Nilda-834707 said:

I was just recently told why are you doing this? Meaning -- why do you bother at your age about finding a man? It's as though reaching the age of 60 is the legal age limit, and STOP participating in the game we call life. Also, I was recently reminded by a PA at a local clinic of having at least two more decades of life. Up until that point in time, I had never given it a second thought. Well, I left feeling worse than I did coming in.

Hello Nilda, the following are my responses to the why question. I'm looking because I want to, hugs and kisses still feel really nice, men still smell good, it's fun to do things with a man who cares about you, they are cute when washing the car, and most of all I'm not dead. Towels are for throwing in the wash not for making life choices.

The most annoying thing that has happened to me is the idea assumed by younger coworkers that I should want a much younger man. I have younger men in my life I call them my sons. The next man in my life is just for me to share many happy moments. Two decades is a lot of life to enjoy. So Nilda enjoy looking and give a smile to those who think love has age limits.

--hide--
Thank you, Joyce. We young seniors have alot to contend with. I lost a job 3 years ago due to the company relocating, and since then I've had trouble finding a full time position. Last year I decided to take a part time job and all I can say it was horrible. I felt very unwelcomed, ignored and treated poorly by some coworkers. I've read articles where seniors entering the work world are treated badly, and I experienced it first hand. Never in a million years did I ever think this would happen to me, yet it did.

I will keep looking and ignore those who think I have an expiration date. theheart

Feb 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Nilda-834707 said: Thank you, Joyce. We young seniors have alot to contend with. I lost a job 3 years ago due to the...
(Quote) Nilda-834707 said:

Thank you, Joyce. We young seniors have alot to contend with. I lost a job 3 years ago due to the company relocating, and since then I've had trouble finding a full time position. Last year I decided to take a part time job and all I can say it was horrible. I felt very unwelcomed, ignored and treated poorly by some coworkers. I've read articles where seniors entering the work world are treated badly, and I experienced it first hand. Never in a million years did I ever think this would happen to me, yet it did.

I will keep looking and ignore those who think I have an expiration date.

--hide--

Nilda, Sadly, I think many of us 50+ (I have about 12 days to go!) feel the same way - and are told the same things! If 40 is the new 30, then I just don't get it!! Honestly, I think it comes down to choosing how we want to live our own lives, and trying to connect with like-minded individuals. Nothing is more attractive than positive, happy, loving people! It's hard, but if we all rise up together, we can extinguish the naysayers with our vibrancy! Instead of feeling sorry for us, they'll want to be like us!! laughing Chelle

Feb 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Nilda-834707 said: I was just recently told why are you doing this? Meaning -- why do you bother at your age about f...

--hide--
Don't throw in the towel unless you plan to quit taking showers.

Washed up at age 60? Who told you that? A teenager? Good grief!!!

There's a lot of life left in most 60 year olds, and a lot of them can run circles around some members of the younger set. As a member of a couple social organizations locally, I can ASSURE you that there's a lot of living to do yet. The over 60 crowd dances up a storm -- not just paddling around to something slow, but really getting in there. They go on outings, are active in sports (tennis, skiing, swimming, and others). Frankly, I don't think some of the younger folks could keep up.

Where there's life there's the ability to love and be loved. Wanting a close companion or a mate is suitable at any (legal) age. Many from the senior set are affectionate and would like to be more so if they were married. Among the married seniors, romance is still blossoming.

People in their 80's and a few in their 90's get married. We wish them all the happiness in the world -- they make such devoted couples.

Those naysayers could stand to learn a lot from us "mature" age folks -- if they can stay up that late.

Feb 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Chelle-924354 said: Nilda, Sadly, I think many of us 50+ (I have about 12 days to go!) feel the same way...
(Quote) Chelle-924354 said:

Nilda, Sadly, I think many of us 50+ (I have about 12 days to go!) feel the same way - and are told the same things! If 40 is the new 30, then I just don't get it!! Honestly, I think it comes down to choosing how we want to live our own lives, and trying to connect with like-minded individuals. Nothing is more attractive than positive, happy, loving people! It's hard, but if we all rise up together, we can extinguish the naysayers with our vibrancy! Instead of feeling sorry for us, they'll want to be like us!! Chelle

--hide--
Chelle -- you are so right!!!

I also think of many Church, civic and social organizations. Who is doing most of the work? Yup -- the older crowd.

Where are these young people, who lay claim to possessing all the energy in the world? Under the haystack fast asleep?????

Feb 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Nilda-834707 said: Thank you, Joyce. We young seniors have alot to contend with. I lost a job 3 years ago due to the...

I will keep looking and ignore those who think I have an expiration date.

--hide--
There are employers who have learned the hard way about hiring people from the older set. They learned about how reliable the seniors are -- always prompt; always there; always reliable and trustworthy. Some are now seeking seniors to work for them. Some lessons are learned the hard way. Don't stop looking -- there will be something meaningful out there for you.

Feb 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: Really, I don't know why anyone would say that nowadays, unless they're jealous...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

Really, I don't know why anyone would say that nowadays, unless they're jealous of you perhaps. Frankly, although I do stop looking from time to time, I doubt that I'll call it quits for good until I reach age , oh, 90 or so (then again, I have seen women in their mid-80's dating so who knows - that's a long ways off). And, really, no physician (and, I know, because I am one), let alone PA should be telling you that you have a certain amount of time left to live. None of us knows how long or how short our life is - I think that's up to God. So, I would ignore him/her unless he/she was trying to get you to do some preventive medical care, etc. We could get run over by a bus tomorrow or live to 106 or more (there are a couple ladies in their 100's in my high-rise condo bldg. and 1 of them doesn't look a day over 80 - and I'm serious here.) So, if I were you, I would either ignore what anyone says, or just stop telling them what you're doing since really it's no one's business but your own!

--hide--
Patricia -- I can feel your adrenalin rush -- just as I'm dealing with mine over this.

I heartedly agree with what you've said. biggrin

Feb 4th 2013 new
(Quote) Joyce-844872 said: ...they are cute when washing the car...
(Quote) Joyce-844872 said: ...they are cute when washing the car...
--hide--

Making mental note... maybe I should add to my profile, "fully qualified and experienced in washing cars."
Feb 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Chelle-924354 said: Nilda, Sadly, I think many of us 50+ (I have about 12 days to go!) feel the same way...
(Quote) Chelle-924354 said:

Nilda, Sadly, I think many of us 50+ (I have about 12 days to go!) feel the same way - and are told the same things! If 40 is the new 30, then I just don't get it!! Honestly, I think it comes down to choosing how we want to live our own lives, and trying to connect with like-minded individuals. Nothing is more attractive than positive, happy, loving people! It's hard, but if we all rise up together, we can extinguish the naysayers with our vibrancy! Instead of feeling sorry for us, they'll want to be like us!! Chelle

--hide--
Thank you, Chelle, Ray and Andrew for your valuable input. I certainly don't feel old and beaten. To me, it's just a number. I felt more outraged at the comments and felt bad for the seniors before me who had to put up with insensitive remarks. The young ones will have to remember they will be seniors one day. I was taught to respect and help seniors whenever possible, and I have. I actually enjoyed sitting with them and listening to their advice and funny anecdotes. I suppose we are living in a very different world today. biggrin

As for the job situation, I will keep looking. I have all the time in the world. laughing

Posts 11 - 20 of 88