Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

The L Word (love)

Feb 4th 2013 new

When is it ok to tell your boyfriend/girlfriend that you love them? one week, 6 months, one year, 2 years...? I know emotions can be confused sometimes so I just need to know if there's a good time frame to wait for this or you just go with the flow. I'm not sure how long I need to wait before telling someone I really care about that I love them.

Feb 4th 2013 new

This is very subjective, and it depends on your comfort level with him...my boyfriend of nearly two years wouldn't let me tell him I loved him, I never even tried, but he said he wanted to say it first. Well, he never loved me, so he never said it, and I had to hold back from telling him, and it hurts a lot to do that. I would wait until you're at the point where you can see yourself marrying this man, when you know that, even if he breaks your heart, you will never regret him, and will love him in spite of himself. Love is amazing and you want him to know you will always be there, and you love him, and it's so simple :) My now ex-boyfriend knows I love him only because I finally told him in a letter, 5 months after I broke up with him. I explained all the joys and sorrows of my love for him, and that was the best way, because it explained everything without putting him on the spot. He knows now, and it's ok, we still see each other, and I might actually say the words sometime (though we're NOT getting back together, we are still friends).

So, if you believe you are truly friends, or best friends, and feel like the words want to burst out of your heart when you see him: then maybe it's time ;) If you can wait a little longer, then maybe it's not time. But if it hurts you to keep from saying it, it is long overdue.

Feb 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Brooke-894714 said: When is it ok to tell your boyfriend/girlfriend that you love them? one week, 6 months, one year...
(Quote) Brooke-894714 said:

When is it ok to tell your boyfriend/girlfriend that you love them? one week, 6 months, one year, 2 years...? I know emotions can be confused sometimes so I just need to know if there's a good time frame to wait for this or you just go with the flow. I'm not sure how long I need to wait before telling someone I really care about that I love them.

--hide--

As they say in law school: It's a "facts and circumstances" test. No set standard. No magic line.

Feb 4th 2013 new

What a bunch we are! www.youtube.com

wink

Feb 4th 2013 new

Maybe a word of caution is in order: www.youtube.com

wink

Feb 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Brooke-894714 said: When is it ok to tell your boyfriend/girlfriend that you love them? one week, 6 months, one year...

--hide--

I don't know about timing, but a good rule of tump is to let th GUY say it first.

Feb 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Brooke-894714 said: When is it ok to tell your boyfriend/girlfriend that you love them?
(Quote) Brooke-894714 said: When is it ok to tell your boyfriend/girlfriend that you love them?
--hide--

What did your mother tell you?

Feb 6th 2013 new

If I hadn't said it first, I'd never have gotten married.

Feb 6th 2013 new

Two conditions must exist:

1. His welfare must be more important to you than anything else except your own salvation.

2. You must love him enough to not care if he doesn't say it back.

Feb 6th 2013 new

--hide--

Yes, emotions make it easy to say it before a person is actually in love. I don't believe it's so much a time frame as it is whether you're in love. I think a good test is to read 1Cor 13: 4 - 7. In the end, I believe if a person is grounded in their faith and know what real love is, then they can just go with flow and say it.

Posts 1 - 10 of 14