Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion related to learning about the faith (Catechetics), defense of the Faith (Apologetics), the Liturgy and canon law, motivated by a desire to grow closer to Christ or to bring someone else closer.

Saint Augustine of Hippo is considered on of the greatest Christian thinkers of all time and the Doctor of the Church.
Learn More: Saint Augustine

Feb 4th 2013 new

What exactly is it that the "Catholic faith" does poorly ?

I have protestant friends but I am extremely guarded when around them. I know they're tricks; they've tried them on me. I stay far away from any protestant church gathering. There is nothing there for a Catholic. The Catholic Church has it all !

It is the individual Catholic that makes mistakes. Not the faith or Church !

Feb 4th 2013 new

(Quote) Gary-836455 said: I would encourage a certain degree of caution when interacting with Protestants, but ...
(Quote) Gary-836455 said:

I would encourage a certain degree of caution when interacting with Protestants, but I wouldn't go so far as to say keep as much distance as possible. I left the Catholic church for a period of time and attended a Baptist church. After my divorce, I felt the Spirit calling me back "home" to my Catholic faith. While there are many things I learned the protestant faith does poorly, there are many things they do right. Just like there are many things the Catholic faith does poorly, there are many things it does right.

You won't convert them? I know many protestants who have converted to Catholocism because of good Catholic witnesses. Just like I know many Catholics who have left the Catholic church to become protestant.

The bottom line: I think if both groups paid more attention to loving their neighbor as themselves and judging not lest they be judged, our sinful morally depraved society wouldn't be as likely to look on Christians (protestant or Catholic) as narrow minded, pompous, judgemental, hippocrates.

Satan has a field day when it comes to Christians judging and attacking one another. I think we Christians do more harm to the name and will of God than any atheiest. Please pray for church unity. Let Christ come in glory and be the judge. Until then, love one another.

--hide--

What exactly is it that the "Catholic faith" does poorly ?

I have protestant friends but I am extremely guarded when around them. I know they're tricks; they've tried them on me. I stay far away from any protestant church gathering. There is nothing there for a Catholic. The Catholic Church has it all !

It is the individual Catholic that makes mistakes. Not the faith or Church.

Feb 5th 2013 new
(Quote) Joanna-615441 said: Hi Renee and welcome to the forums. The subject of Mary tends to be one of the most difficult for our pr...
(Quote) Joanna-615441 said:

Hi Renee and welcome to the forums. The subject of Mary tends to be one of the most difficult for our protestant brothers and sisters to understand. In addition to the references here, you may want to take a look at Scott Hahn's books on Mary. A convert to Catholicism, Scott has a beautiful and deep way of explaining Mary. Just as an aside, Scott's departure from Evangelical Protestantism was quite a shock. He was a very big proponent of Sola Scriptura until he realized that sola scriptura wasn't scriptural. He started reading the Early Church Fathers, many of who sat at the feet of the apostles. I highly recommend any book on the Fathers.

Also keep in mind that they also do not understand the concept of authority that we as Catholics believe.

Take this as an opportunity to learn about your Catholic Faith, so when those issues arise, you can gently point out why we believe as we do.
--hide--

The Protestant "Reformers" believed in Mary's perpetual virginity. Protestantism constantly changes its faith to suit the fads of the era.

www.motherofallpeoples.com

As Catholics we don't do that. We look to apostolic Tradition, which is both oral (the teachings of the Magisterium, Church Fathers and councils) and written (Scripture).
Feb 12th 2013 new

Ok, just a word of caution to everyone here.

You can't lump all Protestant teaching into one boat. There are several schools of Protestantism, and while all are heretical, some are farther off the beaten path than others.

For example, I was raised in the Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod. The LCMS is about as Catholic as you can get without being Catholic. They have a strong devotion to Mary, though they are ambivalent about her and are always wary of "worshiping her." Though they see her as not just another girl. They acknowledge that God chose her and made her special. Heck, they're even almost right on the Eucharist! (Transubstantiation vs. ) Cosubstantiation

So please, don't make the mistake a lot Protestants do about Catholic teaching and lump all of the bad together with the good. We are all allies in the same fight, and that means we have to at least make an effort to understand what their teachings really say and the differences between sects. Otherwise, we're just spouting off about things from hearsay, and that's a lousy position to be in.

Don't let the fact that you know Catholicism is the True Path lead you to contempt of those who worship the same God but are misgided in their route to him. They've got a lot wrong, but they're trying their best, and many would probably make the leap to the Catholic faith as I did if presented doctrine rather than snarky one-liners.

Remember, we are Faith and Reason. Use both.

Feb 15th 2013 new

Study the Catechism of the Catholic Church and forget about those bible study groups and what protestant pastors say.

Studying the bible without the guidance of the Catholic Church is to venture into the murky water of private interpretation, which is what protestants and their pastors have done for the last 400 years and continue to do today. Hence they can come up with as many different and erroneous interpretations of scripture in proportion to the number of people and pastors who read the bible.

Posts 11 - 15 of 15