Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

I have been working on a novel about a girl who sees the Blessed Virgin Mary in a small city in late 20th century America, namely, Cleveland. I enjoy your feedback, as I've conversed with some of you in the past. Do you think it could become a best-seller? I have researched some of the writers on this site and, while noticing their talent, have begun to gain confidence that I never had before--that with a lot of hard work, anyone can get published.

Have any of you been published before nationally? What does it feel like? Some of the bloggers here are well-known at the national level.

Feb 5th 2013 new

I write, but am not published. From the little research I have done, there seems to be a very small (but growing) niche market for Catholic writing. Try http://www.tuscanypress.com. They are having a contest with a June deadline.

I write fiction from a (necessarily) Catholic POV, but have consciously toned it down to make my characters seem "spiritual but not religious" or "religious but not explicitly Catholic" -- to improve marketability. (Example, the hero is on Fifth Avenue in NYC. He steps into "the old church". If you are Catholic you'll know it's St. Patrick's Cathedral.)

Depending on what the point of your story is, I think the topic could be of interest to a large share of the reading public. Depends on if it's a mystery or a whodunit or a character study...or a theological tract.

Feb 5th 2013 new

If well written and orginial it could be a "best seller" in Catholic circles.

As for the secular world... well that'd be anyone's guess. ^_^

Feb 5th 2013 new

I have a book, and I guess what I would say is that there is a Catholic audience, but it is not like the mainstream market.

If a "Catholic" book sells 1000 copies that is considered a success.

Anyone can publish a book. Whether it will sell is another question.

I really wish you the best...it's hard to write a book, edit it and actually bring it to market. But it can be a worthwhile endeavor.

Feb 6th 2013 new
A friend of mine just had her first published and is working on her second. There is a publishing house in Canada that is always looking for Catholic fiction. I don't remember the name but my friend/author's name is AnnMarie Creedon. You can find her on Amazon. She met the publisher at a Catholic conference and subsequently received invaluable feedback and encouragement for completing a successful novel.
Feb 6th 2013 new
Have you read Bud McFarlan's (spelling?) books? I love the part about the miraculous medal found, much later, on a playground and the graces passed on via that medal.
Feb 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Meg-920823 said: Have you read Bud McFarlan's (spelling?) books? I love the part about the miraculous medal found, much...
(Quote) Meg-920823 said: Have you read Bud McFarlan's (spelling?) books? I love the part about the miraculous medal found, much later, on a playground and the graces passed on via that medal.
--hide--

I have read all three. For $5 it was some pretty good reading.

Posts 1 - 7 of 7