Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for discussion on entertainment, movies, television, jokes or light-hearted topics. Please keep discussion clean and appropriate for a Catholic site.

Saint Vitus is the patron saint of actors, comedians, dancers, and of entertainers in general.
Learn More:Saint Vitus

Feb 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Linda-624584 said: Tracy, your game of Spite and Malice sounds like a game we played called, Hand and Foot. Wonder i...
(Quote) Linda-624584 said:

Tracy, your game of Spite and Malice sounds like a game we played called, Hand and Foot. Wonder if it's the same thing??

--hide--
There's a difference -- one of them is played by married couples.... rolling eyes

Feb 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Tracy-929496 said: Who knows how to play Euchre? Is this just an Indiana past-time?
(Quote) Tracy-929496 said:

Who knows how to play Euchre? Is this just an Indiana past-time?

--hide--

Hi Tracy - Euchre is very popular in the Monongahela Valley and Mid-Monongahela Valley, that is to say the old steel communities along the Monongahela River south of Pittsburgh. I haven't played in years, but many of the ethnic social clubs still have euchre nights, teams, tournaments, etc.

Feb 5th 2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: I don't think it's a regional thing, so much as a game that's no longer trendy. Just ...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

I don't think it's a regional thing, so much as a game that's no longer trendy. Just as Mah Jhonng was popular in the 1920s, and bridge in the '30s-50s and bunco in the 2000's.
I have known several young folks who play, but it is rare...

--hide--
Euchre actually originated across the pond. In it's US origins, it was played by immigrants who settled in Michigan. It's mainly a mid-western states game as far as the US is concerned, but it has made its way to Canada.

It's also played on the east coast but under the name of.....(you'll enjoy this): BACON. (I wonder if that's what that thread was all about....) scratchchin faint

Feb 6th 2013 new

It's definitely a Midwestern phenomenon.

My kids all said when they were in college, no one outside of Indiana, Michigan, Illinois and maybe a few from Kentucky, ever heard of the game.

I wonder if there are different versions...

For instance, when my team has 9 points, we say we're 'in the barn'...

In keeping score, it's bad luck to place the 6 card on top of the 4 card, or else you'll 'weigh it down'!

Guess I'll find out this Saturday at the Indy Chili Cook Off.

Are we choosing teams yet? Here I am bragging about my abilities and I'll probably be dealt 9's and 10's the whole night! Come on, Lady Luck, let me see those right and left bowers!!! Nothing but jacks, aces and kings, please...

Feb 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Tracy-929496 said: It's definitely a Midwestern phenomenon. My kids all said when they were in college, ...

My kids all said when they were in college, no one outside of Indiana, Michigan, Illinois and maybe a few from Kentucky, ever heard of the game.

In keeping score, it's bad luck to place the 6 card on top of the 4 card, or else you'll 'weigh it down'!

Are we choosing teams yet? Here I am bragging about my abilities and I'll probably be dealt 9's and 10's the whole night! Come on, Lady Luck, let me see those right and left bowers!!! Nothing but jacks, aces and kings, please...

--hide--

I really didn't know why you were asking. Euchre' has been apart of growing up for me. Still play it with my daughter and her husband when they come in from Chicago. They have Euchre night in Chicago. Didnt realize it was a midwestern thing.

Feb 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Tracy-929496 said: It's definitely a Midwestern phenomenon. My kids all said when they were in college, ...

--hide--
Presumably you'll be bringing your rabbit's foot....

Yes, there are different versions, including some in other parts of the country that use different names for the game. I mentioned that along the east coast it's called "Bacon". Go figure....

Of course, if you lose the game and you're from the midwest, you might be calling it by a few different names. shhh

Feb 6th 2013 new

Ya, I'll just accuse the other team ~ "RENIG!!!"

Feb 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Tracy-929496 said: Ya, I'll just accuse the other team ~ "RENIG!!!"

Ya, I'll just accuse the other team ~ "RENIG!!!"

--hide--
Oh, that'll get 'em for sure, Tracy laughing

Feb 6th 2013 new

(Quote) Linda-624584 said: Hi Tracy, I've played euchre since I was a child. I have found over the years that it is a no...
(Quote) Linda-624584 said:

Hi Tracy, I've played euchre since I was a child. I have found over the years that it is a northern thang. I also have many friends in Canada who play. Euchre is my all time favorite card game.

By the way....I have a loner in hearts.

--hide--

Sounds like a neat idea for a CM Event.

Feb 6th 2013 new

My first thought was that Euchre had to do with the Eucharist scratchchin

In any case, I just searched the internet and found out that you can play the game online.

Here is one of the sites among many. Also read it the origin was unknown but was popular with the Pennslyvania Dutch.

www.pogo.com

Oh the things you can learn in the CM forums. wink

I would have never known what Euchre was a card game !

Kathleen

Posts 21 - 30 of 41