Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This is the place to post any questions about the way that CatholicMatch works or make suggestions. This room is open to both free and subscribing members.

Saint Anthony is the patron of lost things and missing persons.
Learn More:Saint Anthony

There has been some discussion in one of the threads in the Widows/Widowers Room and the suggestion that it would be very helpful if there was a Grief Room for those grieving the loss of a spouse/children/parents/siblings/etc.

I just want to put my 2 cents in. I think this would be a wonderful, very helpful, supportive room for many here on CM that have recently (or not so recently) lost someone. Although the acute stage of grieving goes on usually for a year or so, it takes much longer to heal (if one ever completely does) from some (if not all) of these losses.

I know that this is an internet dating site, but it is also a Catholic site providing many resources for single persons including friendship, emotional support (in divorced and widows rooms), social gatherings, etc. I would think if there can be rooms for these good purposes, there also could be a room for those who are grieving.

It would truly be a wonderful act of charity/kindness of the part of CM Administration to do this. Perhaps it could be started at least on a trial basis to see how it would work out. Remember, we all grieve for someone close who had been close to us at some point in our lives (and it can happen to anyone at any point in time). Let us be supportive to each other, and what better place than a Catholic website!

02/06/2013 new

And, I just looked up online who the patron saint of those who are grieving is. It is St. John the Evangelist.

02/06/2013 new

It seems to me that the need can be met by use of the Widowers, single parent, and prayer request fora. Redundant?

02/06/2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: It seems to me that the need can be met by use of the Widowers, single parent, and prayer request...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

It seems to me that the need can be met by use of the Widowers, single parent, and prayer request fora. Redundant?

--hide--
I'll address only your reference prayer request room. It's not intended for general discussions, and that is one of the issues of concern. While we can't deny its importance, the role of the prayer room has a different function other than what they are seeking.

02/06/2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: There has been some discussion in one of the threads in the Widows/Widowers Room and the sugges...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

There has been some discussion in one of the threads in the Widows/Widowers Room and the suggestion that it would be very helpful if there was a Grief Room for those grieving the loss of a spouse/children/parents/siblings/etc.

I just want to put my 2 cents in. I think this would be a wonderful, very helpful, supportive room for many here on CM that have recently (or not so recently) lost someone. Although the acute stage of grieving goes on usually for a year or so, it takes much longer to heal (if one ever completely does) from some (if not all) of these losses.

I know that this is an internet dating site, but it is also a Catholic site providing many resources for single persons including friendship, emotional support (in divorced and widows rooms), social gatherings, etc. I would think if there can be rooms for these good purposes, there also could be a room for those who are grieving.

It would truly be a wonderful act of charity/kindness of the part of CM Administration to do this. Perhaps it could be started at least on a trial basis to see how it would work out. Remember, we all grieve for someone close who had been close to us at some point in our lives (and it can happen to anyone at any point in time). Let us be supportive to each other, and what better place than a Catholic website!

--hide--

I agree with Patricia. I do think a grief /illness forum would be a nice addition. Besides those of us who have dealt with grief, there are also those of us who deal with long term disablity, caregiving or disease. Many of us may seek out this site - we may think we might date but in reality we are only free for friendship. However, I think it may be cost prohibitive for us to stay for friendship and eventually leave?

I don't know if it would imply any liability on CMs part. If not, I'd see it as a positive move.

02/06/2013 new

(Quote) Marge-938695 said: It seems to me that the need can be met by use of the Widowers, single parent, and prayer request...
(Quote) Marge-938695 said:

--hide--

No, not from what I have read in the Widowers Room. And, of course the need is there also for those who have lost parents or siblings or grandparents or close friends or ... - none of which fit into any room here. And, as Ray said, the prayer request room is not intended for discussion. Why would anyone want to prevent someone who needed it from getting some emotional support when they are grieving?

02/06/2013 new

(Quote) Andrea-368827 said: I agree with Patricia. I do think a grief /illness forum would be a nice addition. ...
(Quote) Andrea-368827 said:

I agree with Patricia. I do think a grief /illness forum would be a nice addition. Besides those of us who have dealt with grief, there are also those of us who deal with long term disablity, caregiving or disease. Many of us may seek out this site - we may think we might date but in reality we are only free for friendship. However, I think it may be cost prohibitive for us to stay for friendship and eventually leave?

I don't know if it would imply any liability on CMs part. If not, I'd see it as a positive move.

--hide--

Liability for what? Unless there is a licensed counselor giving out advice, I don't see how there could be any liability (or at least not any more than there is in any other forum here - in which many members give out much advice ( whether asked for or notbiggrin ).

02/06/2013 new

(Liability - maybe from a person's identity not being totally concealed on a public forum, if disclosing a health condition).

Everyday there are young people (and all ages) dealing with loss or illness (directly or indirectly), from a sinus infection and the flu to lupus to cancer to car accidents.

02/07/2013 new

One other thought I had would be regarding the name of such a "grief" room. Obviously it could be called a grief room, but that is a rather depressing name. So, how about a "Recovery" room or "Healing" room for those suffering from the loss of someone. I think that a name such as one of these would be more hopeful. I'd be interested in other's opinions about this.

02/07/2013 new

Hi Patricia,
I still want my own widows and widowers forum because I am 5 years out now and beyond the active grieving stage-otherwise I would not have joined this dating site. There are issues very specific to dating again after being widowed. And just issues in general that I would rather post in the widowed forum. I just feel more comfortable there. That is not to say I do not have my moments of intense grief but for the most part things have been looking up for me and my kids.

Right now I think I am the only widowed parent at my boys school. There was another Mom but she got remarried. There are at least 20 or so divorced/annulled families. The online widowed forum gives me a chance to meet widows and widowers from all over-I like that-I feel less alone knowing that there are others in my situation. Of course, there will be widows/widowers that I will not agree with-but at least the foundation of empathy and understanding is usually there.

I do think a general healing room would be good. I have lost both parents at a relatively young age and last year I lost a dear friend who was like a second Mother to me to cancer. I have friends that have not been able to have children even though they desperately wanted them. It would be nice if people could find others in the same situation-sometimes just knowing you are not the only one going through something in itself is an enormous help.

Posts 1 - 10 of 28