Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

Discussion related to living as a Catholic in the single state of life. As long as a topic is being discussed from the perspective of a single Catholic then it will be on-topic.

Tobias and Sarah's story is from the Book of Tobit, and his journey is guided by Saint Raphael.
Learn More: Tobias & Sarah as led by Saint Raphael

Do you think a man and a woman having similar family backgrounds and interests improves that chances for a successful relationship?
Feb 9th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Do you think a man and a woman having similar family backgrounds and interests improves that chances for ...
(Quote) John-220051 said: Do you think a man and a woman having similar family backgrounds and interests improves that chances for a successful relationship?
--hide--

I know people who have everything in common and nothing in common and both have made great marriages. I don't have to be joined at the hip with someone to love them.

Feb 9th 2013 new

(Quote) John-220051 said: Do you think a man and a woman having similar family backgrounds and interests improves that chances for ...
(Quote) John-220051 said: Do you think a man and a woman having similar family backgrounds and interests improves that chances for a successful relationship?
--hide--

I would change background to values but I do agree that similar values and interests improve the chances of a successful relationship. As for me, I don't care so much where a guy has been, even though I would like to know that information, as much as where he is going and what he stands for in the moment. I think that for me the most important thing is that someone has the ability to be an effective Catholic spiritual leader in a family, loves God above all else, loves and respects me and my children and has similar interests. All the rest can be worked out if we are both willing to do so.

Feb 9th 2013 new

--hide--

Generally that's a very helpful thing. Although sometimes people from very different backgrounds have a very good match as well. Depends upon the individuals.

Feb 9th 2013 new

--hide--

I'm not sure if, ultimately, having similar backgrounds improves chances for a successful relationship. It probably wouldn't hurt the chances for success. But I do think if two people were raised in similar ways and with similar beliefs, it makes things more familiar and comfortable from the beginning.

Feb 9th 2013 new

I can't see why having similar backgrounds and interests would not be an asset to a relationship. But I wouldn't narrow my search over it.

Feb 9th 2013 new

--hide--

Hi John! I had a friend that used to say that people should be socially similar and emotionally opposite. I think there's some truth in that! Chelle

Feb 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Shara-929649 said: I would change background to values but I do agree that similar values and interests improve the ...
(Quote) Shara-929649 said:

I would change background to values but I do agree that similar values and interests improve the chances of a successful relationship. As for me, I don't care so much where a guy has been, even though I would like to know that information, as much as where he is going and what he stands for in the moment. I think that for me the most important thing is that someone has the ability to be an effective Catholic spiritual leader in a family, loves God above all else, loves and respects me and my children and has similar interests. All the rest can be worked out if we are both willing to do so.

--hide--

I agree--having similar background and interests is a great starting point (although not absolutely necessary). Having similar values and a vision/philosophy about life is much more important.

That being said, it's always nice when someone is willing to make an effort to try new activities that he or she wouldn't normally gravitate towards.

Feb 9th 2013 new

It didn't work for me that way, we had very similar backgrounds (both fathers friends since 13yrs-old),

but with time we realized we had very different interests, so I think we shouldn't narrow our options to that.

Feb 9th 2013 new

Similar values are essential. Complimentary personalities are essential.

Similary backgrounds and interests, not necessary, though nice.

Before I started dating my late husband I made a list: we were opposites on EVERYTHING (politics, pets, foods, temperment, economic background, etc.). But we admired each other and laughed at the same things, and it was a good marriage.

Together you find and create new interests.

Posts 1 - 10 of 12