Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Post not found!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

I just excepted a transfer to South Dakota with my employer. I did some research about the weather and found out there are tonado's and heavy winters. I did research it before I applied but the midwestern lifestyle is appealing. My coworkers, friends and parents are telling about harsh conditions and what if scenerios. I have mixed emotions about leaving everyone behind too. On the upside I have heard the summers are nice and warm. It will take three days driving and over 1300 miles, 1600 if I cant take the pass. My dad suggests snow chains.

Does anyone have suggestions on preparing for the trip?

Feb 9th 2013 new
(Quote) Theresa-911246 said: I just excepted a transfer to South Dakota with my employer. I did some research about the weather and found ...
(Quote) Theresa-911246 said:

I just excepted a transfer to South Dakota with my employer. I did some research about the weather and found out there are tonado's and heavy winters. I did research it before I applied but the midwestern lifestyle is appealing. My coworkers, friends and parents are telling about harsh conditions and what if scenerios. I have mixed emotions about leaving everyone behind too. On the upside I have heard the summers are nice and warm. It will take three days driving and over 1300 miles, 1600 if I cant take the pass. My dad suggests snow chains.

--hide--
Hello Teresa, I live in Iowa and so far our winter snow wise has not been too bad. Probably more snow in the Dakotas but very few people in the Midwest sell tire chains. I would think you would be ok as long as no heavy snow is predicted. Winters can be hard but the other seasons are nice for the most part. I hope this helps a little bit. I live in the quad cities area which borders Iowa/ Illinois Take care.
Feb 9th 2013 new

(Quote) Theresa-911246 said: I just excepted a transfer to South Dakota with my employer. I did some research about the weat...

--hide--

I lived in cold climate most of my life (Iowa, Colorado, northern part of Russia). If I were moving to SD or any other snow climate again, I would:

Get a car with a good AWD or 4WD. This is more important than chains. A car with 4x4 and all-season or snow tires will be safe to drive almost anywhere all winter. It would be wise to carry chains in your trunk just in case.

Install a remote start feature in my car. It's no fun getting into a freezing car and waiting for it to warm up, or to start the car to let it warm up, go back into the house, wait 5-10 min, get back in the car...

Live in an apartment or townhouse that offers snow removal. Remember that if you live in a detached house, you have to shovel the driveway in the morning if it snowed a lot overnight.

Good luck with the move! The snow country does have its advantanges despite the cold - the snow is very pretty.

Feb 9th 2013 new

I'm a little familiar with the eastern part of South Dakota, around Sioux Falls. My best friend lived there over 20 years, and I visited many times over the years. People are really nice there, laid back, very helpful and considerate towards their neighbors, "South Dakota Nice". The weather, lots of snow sometimes in the winters, and being so flat on that side of the state it blows around considerably, and they will close the Interstate if travel gets bad. Don't know that you'd need tire chains, unless you had an older car or pickup truck with rear wheel drive. A 4WD or AWD vehicle is a good investment to have in that area, if you have to drive much in the winter. Summers are generally pleasant, yes there are a lot of thunderstorms and the occasional tornado warning, but overall not a bad place to live.

Feb 10th 2013 new

(Quote) George-80266 said: Hello Teresa, I live in Iowa and so far our winter snow wise has not been too bad. Probably more snow in...
(Quote) George-80266 said: Hello Teresa, I live in Iowa and so far our winter snow wise has not been too bad. Probably more snow in the Dakotas but very few people in the Midwest sell tire chains. I would think you would be ok as long as no heavy snow is predicted. Winters can be hard but the other seasons are nice for the most part. I hope this helps a little bit. I live in the quad cities area which borders Iowa/ Illinois Take care.
--hide--
I was thinking of using snow chains when I go through the mountains. Thanks for the feedback.

Feb 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Lisa-54615 said: I lived in cold climate most of my life (Iowa, Colorado, northern part of Russia). If I we...
(Quote) Lisa-54615 said:

I lived in cold climate most of my life (Iowa, Colorado, northern part of Russia). If I were moving to SD or any other snow climate again, I would:

Get a car with a good AWD or 4WD. This is more important than chains. A car with 4x4 and all-season or snow tires will be safe to drive almost anywhere all winter. It would be wise to carry chains in your trunk just in case.

Install a remote start feature in my car. It's no fun getting into a freezing car and waiting for it to warm up, or to start the car to let it warm up, go back into the house, wait 5-10 min, get back in the car...

Live in an apartment or townhouse that offers snow removal. Remember that if you live in a detached house, you have to shovel the driveway in the morning if it snowed a lot overnight.

Good luck with the move! The snow country does have its advantanges despite the cold - the snow is very pretty.

--hide--
Is a Pontiac Grand Prix AWD or 4WD? I will definitly have my tires checked and get the oil changed. Although it would be nice to have snow shoveling services available, I will likey be in a detached house. One of my coworkers offered to by me a snow shovel, and I hope he was serious.

Feb 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Michael-76823 said: I'm a little familiar with the eastern part of South Dakota, around Sioux Falls. My best fri...
(Quote) Michael-76823 said:

I'm a little familiar with the eastern part of South Dakota, around Sioux Falls. My best friend lived there over 20 years, and I visited many times over the years. People are really nice there, laid back, very helpful and considerate towards their neighbors, "South Dakota Nice". The weather, lots of snow sometimes in the winters, and being so flat on that side of the state it blows around considerably, and they will close the Interstate if travel gets bad. Don't know that you'd need tire chains, unless you had an older car or pickup truck with rear wheel drive. A 4WD or AWD vehicle is a good investment to have in that area, if you have to drive much in the winter. Summers are generally pleasant, yes there are a lot of thunderstorms and the occasional tornado warning, but overall not a bad place to live.

--hide--
Great!

Feb 10th 2013 new
Welcome. South Dakota actually has almost as many sunny days as Florida. Very nice people here. About 2 degress of separation between you and everyone else in the state. The weather in the winter can be tough ... but a little common sense will get you through. We don't use chains unless you live in the Black Hills. Studded snow tires are allowed, but a good all-weather tire should suffice. Car starter is good or a block heater. One thing - it's either N.Dakota or S.Dakota. they split from each other in 1889. No one refers to it as "the Dakotas" except nat'l weathermen. We have real stores here and the internet. Not the end of the world. Travelusa.com has a sd page. Check road conditions and real-time hwy photos there .... before leaving. In-state the road conditions is 511 on you cell phone. Don't be shocked if you like living here. Most people do. Good air, nice people, and low taxes.
Feb 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Theresa-911246 said: Is a Pontiac Grand Prix AWD or 4WD? I will definitly have my tires checked and get the oil chan...

Is a Pontiac Grand Prix AWD or 4WD? I will definitly have my tires checked and get the oil changed. Although it would be nice to have snow shoveling services available, I will likey be in a detached house. One of my coworkers offered to by me a snow shovel, and I hope he was serious.

--hide--

A Pontiac Grand Prix is neither AWD or 4WD. Assuming your car was made in 1988 or later, it would be a front-wheel drive car.

Feb 10th 2013 new

Good luck on your travels, which way are you going through spokane or Lewiston? If you come this way and through lolo pass they take good care of it. I know some people that live there and a carmelite monastery, if they are close to where you are gong, they would be a good friend for you.

Posts 1 - 10 of 57