Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

error: Forum not initialized properly! Please check the link and try again.

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of prayer life, posting prayers of the Church and prayer requests.

Saint Jude is the patron saint of lost causes and desperate situations.
Learn more: Saint Jude

02/10/2013 new

(Quote) Will-706257 said: We men sometimes have trouble fulfilling our responsibilities as the "Spiri...
(Quote) Will-706257 said:

We men sometimes have trouble fulfilling our responsibilities as the "Spiritual Heads of the Households". Which is why you had to start this thread. LOL,

Though, I think David starts the 54 day Novenas.

But I appreciate that you did.

God Bless,

Will

--hide--

Yes Will, you're right about David starting the 54 day Novenas (though he does have help from Amy). I would love to join this group as well. My work schedule won't allow for me to attend daily Mass, but I can commit to doing the readings every day and hopefully watch Mass online. For those who are on facebook, there is a Catholic Church page and if you "like" it then the daily readings show up on your news feed. Also, for anyone else who can't attend Mass (and/or doesn't have cable like me), you can usually find daily mass on youtube as well :)

02/10/2013 new

(Quote) Linda-442926 said: Yes Will, you're right about David starting the 54 day Novenas (though he does h...
(Quote) Linda-442926 said:

Yes Will, you're right about David starting the 54 day Novenas (though he does have help from Amy). I would love to join this group as well. My work schedule won't allow for me to attend daily Mass, but I can commit to doing the readings every day and hopefully watch Mass online. For those who are on facebook, there is a Catholic Church page and if you "like" it then the daily readings show up on your news feed. Also, for anyone else who can't attend Mass (and/or doesn't have cable like me), you can usually find daily mass on youtube as well :)

--hide--

Thanks LInda for joining us during Lent with doing the readings and watching Mass online. It's nice to do this together with our CM Canadian friends!

02/10/2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: I happened to go to the 7AM Mass today, because one of thepriests who I really trust for conser...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

I happened to go to the 7AM Mass today, because one of thepriests who I really trust for conservative spiritual advice and guidance was saying it.

He suggested that the absolutely best thing we could do during Lent is to attend daily Mass starting Ash Wednesday and going through Easter. (He did say if you just could not do that, to at least try to go to Mass a couple times a week, and if you couldn't do that, to read the daily Mass readings which are available in booklets or in many sites on the internet - try your archdiocesan website.)

Anyhow, I thought about it, and although it might cause me some inconvenience and there may be days that I just don't want to walk there (it's a 20 minute - 1 mile walk for me each way unless I get on a bus which shortens it by 5 blocks) if the weather is frigid, sleeting, snowing,high winds, etc. along the Chicago lakefront, I do believe that this is something I can do and something that I want to do.

So, I guess I'm looking for some support - in the form of any CM members who would want to make that same committment to go to daily Mass for the 40 days of Lent (although technically it would be 39 I think because there is no Mass on Holy Saturday until the evening Easter Mass which one could go to or instead go to the Easter Mass on Easter day). It is easier I think to do something when there are other people also doing it - a shared sense of spiritual community and support.

So, I'm hoping there will be lots of takers, but I'd be overjoyed if even one other person on CM would also want to do this for Christ!

--hide--

Patricia,

To figure out the 40 Days of Lent, use this formula:

Take the six weeks from next Sunday (2/17) to Easter Sunday: 6 x 7 = 42

Take out those six Sundays, because the Sundays are not counted in Lent: 42 - 6 = 36 (I'm probably going to get some negative responses to this.)

Add the four days from the first half week (Ash Wednesday to Saturday): 36 + 4 = 40. (Voila.)

I go to daily Mass anyway, but it sounds like it is much more out of the way for you. Congratulations; I can't imagine the weather is nice in Chicago in February or even March.

02/10/2013 new

(Quote) William-607613 said: Patricia,To figure out the 40 Days of Lent, use this formula:
(Quote) William-607613 said:

Patricia,

To figure out the 40 Days of Lent, use this formula:

Take the six weeks from next Sunday (2/17) to Easter Sunday: 6 x 7 = 42

Take out those six Sundays, because the Sundays are not counted in Lent: 42 - 6 = 36 (I'm probably going to get some negative responses to this.)

Add the four days from the first half week (Ash Wednesday to Saturday): 36 + 4 = 40. (Voila.)

I go to daily Mass anyway, but it sounds like it is much more out of the way for you. Congratulations; I can't imagine the weather is nice in Chicago in February or even March.

--hide--

Hi William, thank for that calculation. How wonderful that you go to daily Mass and so will be joining us as we do this for Lent.

02/10/2013 new

Patricia, I can go to Mass two extra days during Lent besides Sundays, Wednesday and Friday evening masses at Our lady of Victory church. I am taking part in the 54 day Novena also. Thank you for the invitation to join you. Mary

02/10/2013 new

(Quote) Mary-637223 said: Patricia, I can go to Mass two extra days during Lent besides Sundays, Wednesday and Friday evenin...
(Quote) Mary-637223 said:

Patricia, I can go to Mass two extra days during Lent besides Sundays, Wednesday and Friday evening masses at Our lady of Victory church. I am taking part in the 54 day Novena also. Thank you for the invitation to join you. Mary

--hide--

Wonderful, Mary, thank you for joining us during Lent. And, good for you participating in the Novena also!

02/10/2013 new

Hi Patricia:

One lent, can't remember what year exactly in the 90's that I committed to daily Mass, and the Lord wouldn't let me stop going even after lent was over. With my present work schedule, I make 4 to 5 days out of 7 now. I do try to mediate on the Bible daily, so I can certainly do the readings of the day on those that I cannot attend Mass.

02/10/2013 new

(Quote) Donna-848472 said: Hi Patricia:One lent, can't remember what year exactly in the 90's that I committ...
(Quote) Donna-848472 said:

Hi Patricia:

One lent, can't remember what year exactly in the 90's that I committed to daily Mass, and the Lord wouldn't let me stop going even after lent was over. With my present work schedule, I make 4 to 5 days out of 7 now. I do try to mediate on the Bible daily, so I can certainly do the readings of the day on those that I cannot attend Mass.

--hide--

Isn't it amazing how God works in us! Thank you, Donna, for joining us this Lent in Mass/daily readings.

02/10/2013 new

What a great idea Patricia ... I will either read the readings and watch on EWTN ..

Here is the website for their readings and replay of the mass. God has blessed us with wonderful resources.

May we all have a blessed Lent ! I can't believe Ash Wednesday is this week. I know many that give up the computer for Lent, but I will be using it for EWTN ..

Check here. www.ewtn.com

God Bless Praying rosary theheart

02/10/2013 new

I would really try if we had daily mass, we only have mass twice a week. I will try and do the readings or watch it on ewtn.

Posts 21 - 30 of 150