Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match!

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for general discussion that doesn't specifically fit into one of the other CatholicMatch rooms. Topics should not be overly serious as this is to be more of a "cafe setting."

Saint Peter's Square was created so that more people could be in the presence of the Pope and was named after Saint Peter, one of Jesus's apostles.
Learn More: Saint Peter

Feb 10th 2013 new

(Quote) William-607613 said: (Quote) Theresa-911246 said: Is a Pontiac Grand Prix AWD or 4WD? I will ...
(Quote) William-607613 said:

Quote:
Theresa-911246 said:

Is a Pontiac Grand Prix AWD or 4WD? I will definitly have my tires checked and get the oil changed. Although it would be nice to have snow shoveling services available, I will likey be in a detached house. One of my coworkers offered to by me a snow shovel, and I hope he was serious.

A Pontiac Grand Prix is neither AWD or 4WD. Assuming your car was made in 1988 or later, it would be a front-wheel drive car.

--hide--

I have a Pontiac Grand Prix, it is Front Wheel drive. It does quite well in the snow, but I recently had new Michelin All Season Tires put on it..

Before driving out I would have the car checked to make sure it is in good condition. Best of Luck to you ! Consider becoming a member of the Sacred Heart Auto League... www.shsm.org and pray the driver's prayer:

Driver's
Prayer

Sacred Heart of Jesus, grant me
a steady hand and watchful eye,
that none be hurt as I pass by.
Thou
givest life. I pray no act of mine
take away or mar that gift Divine.

Protect those, Lord, who travel with me
from highway dangers and all
anxiety.
Teach me to use my car for others' needs
and never miss the
beauty of Thy
world through excessive speed.
I pledge to drive with
loving concern
to my every destination,
offering each travel hour to
Thee
in a spirit of reparation.
Most Sacred Heart of Jesus,
my auto
Companion,
have mercy on me.
Amen

catholictradition.org

Safe travels to you and to all of us Kathleen Praying

Feb 10th 2013 new

Not all of SD is treated alike by the weatherman. I live in the northern foot hills of the Black Hills. We are tucked up close enough that we don't get tornadoes, and low enough that we don't get feet of snow. They say if you don't like the weather in SD just wait 10 minutes and it will change. One thing we have is plenty of sunshine. Even when it is cold, the sun is usually shining! Amen!

God speed on your adventure! Send me a message if you need more info!

Beth

Feb 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Theresa-911246 said: I just excepted a transfer to South Dakota with my employer. I did some research about the weat...
(Quote) Theresa-911246 said:

I just excepted a transfer to South Dakota with my employer. I did some research about the weather and found out there are tonado's and heavy winters. I did research it before I applied but the midwestern lifestyle is appealing. My coworkers, friends and parents are telling about harsh conditions and what if scenerios. I have mixed emotions about leaving everyone behind too. On the upside I have heard the summers are nice and warm. It will take three days driving and over 1300 miles, 1600 if I cant take the pass. My dad suggests snow chains.

Does anyone have suggestions on preparing for the trip?

--hide--
Theresa, Congratulations on your transfer! I am so happy that you have agreed to stretch your life through this adventure. I encourage you to be as open as possible to any new experiences. Sioux Falls (a city) would be quite different from Custer (a small town), as would the people who live there and even their reasons for living there. South Dakota offers some lovely recreational opportunities; enjoy them.

Feb 10th 2013 new
Hello...I am not sure about SD but some states it s illegal to have snow chains on your tires as you are going down the road...please check before you buy...
Feb 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Dave-24315 said: Good luck on your travels, which way are you going through spokane or Lewiston? If you come this wa...
(Quote) Dave-24315 said:

Good luck on your travels, which way are you going through spokane or Lewiston? If you come this way and through lolo pass they take good care of it. I know some people that live there and a carmelite monastery, if they are close to where you are gong, they would be a good friend for you.

--hide--
Dave I will be going through Spokane. Can you give me the address anyway?

Feb 10th 2013 new

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm taking lots of notes.

Feb 10th 2013 new

Theresa typically the passes are closed in the winter. I would drive the extra miles and avoid the mountain passes and the chains on the tires. Typically folks in the midwest have a survivor kit box in the trunk in case a snow storm hits while you are driving and you get stranded. Once you arrive in SD I would recommend lined jeans and an investment on a nice winter coat with a hood. The best gloves that I have found are typically ski gloves. Good luck and safe travels it would be nice if some one can you join that lots of miles in a tough time of the year.

Feb 10th 2013 new

(From my friends in Minnesota)

Emergency winter supplies to keep in your trunk: Blankets, an extra battery for your cell phone, a candle and matches in a tin can to add heat to the car and melt snow for water, candy bars for quick calories, a coffee can full of sand for traction under the tires if your stuck, and a small spade to shovel snow as needed when stuck.

Leave a copy of your route with your family/friends or post it online in facebook or something similar. And a small statue of St. Christopher on your dash certainly doesn't hurt!

Feb 10th 2013 new

Best wishes on your move Theresa! I'm sure you will get used to the weather. I live in North Dakota and we've had a pretty good winter until today when we are experiencing a blizzard! But, when that happens you just stay home and the kids have a snow day!! YEA! I was in Sioux Falls, SD last July for a week when the temps were 100 degrees! So one good thing about North and South Dakota is that we have all 4 seasons. ;)

Feb 10th 2013 new

(Quote) Theresa-911246 said: Does anyone have suggestions on preparing for the trip?
(Quote) Theresa-911246 said:

Does anyone have suggestions on preparing for the trip?

--hide--
I suggest that you read "Dakota: A Spiritual Geography" by Kathleen Norris. It was written in the early 1990s, was a NY Times bestseller, and will help orient you into this new lifestyle. It's a lovely, evocative book.

I agree with whomever said you shouldn't drive alone and that avoiding the mountain passes is a good idea. I also agree about the survival gear. Bitter cold is very possible. Do not leave your car if you are stalled; call 911 on your cell phone. Drive on the major highways. Let us know when you're leaving and we'll "pray you in," as my mom says.

Posts 11 - 20 of 57