Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free

info: Please Sign Up or Sign In to continue.

A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

"Dear Brothers,

I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonizations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church. After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry. I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering. However, in today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me. For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is."

"Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects. And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff. With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer."

From the Vatican, 10 February 2013 BENEDICTUS PP XVI

Update (various news sources, from the Holy See spokesman Fr. Lombardi): Following his resignation, Pope Benedict XVI will spend some time in Castel Gandolfo to end all pending work. Following that, he will live the life of prayer n a cloister within the Vatican walls.

rorate-caeli.blogspot.com

Feb 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

"Dear Brothers,

I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonizations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church. After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry. I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering. However, in today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me. For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is."

"Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects. And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff. With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer."

From the Vatican, 10 February 2013 BENEDICTUS PP XVI

Update (various news sources, from the Holy See spokesman Fr. Lombardi): Following his resignation, Pope Benedict XVI will spend some time in Castel Gandolfo to end all pending work. Following that, he will live the life of prayer n a cloister within the Vatican walls.

--hide--

Oh my goodness! I never saw this coming. What on earth is going on? I thought that the Popes stayed in office until they died. Is this truly being done of his own free will or is there gentle or not-so-gentle persuasion going on here? And so, who will be the next Pope?

Feb 11th 2013 new

I am personally shocked. I never thought I would see this in my lifetime, a pope abdicating.

I guess I don't see the papacy as a job you can retire from; I know it's within the "rules" but I myself am shocked and saddened.

I think of the heroic suffering JPII underwent, and what a great lesson that was to the faithful, I don't know...I feel like we are losing a great leader, a great moral leader, a great mind, and all prematurely is how it feels to me.

I wonder if Pope Benedict is terminally ill and just not announcing it.

I feel uneasy about the whole thing.

Prayers for the Holy Father, and the Cardinals, and his successor, and for the universal Church.... Praying Praying

Feb 11th 2013 new

My prediction for the next Pope is Cardinal Arinze of Africa.

Feb 11th 2013 new

"The last pope to resign was Pope Gregory XII, who stepped down in 1415 in a deal to end the Great Western Schism among competing papal claimants." news.sky.com

Feb 11th 2013 new
(Quote) Pat-5351 said: I am personally shocked. I never thought I would see this in my lifetime, a pope abdicating. I gue...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

I am personally shocked. I never thought I would see this in my lifetime, a pope abdicating.

I guess I don't see the papacy as a job you can retire from; I know it's within the "rules" but I myself am shocked and saddened.

I think of the heroic suffering JPII underwent, and what a great lesson that was to the faithful, I don't know...I feel like we are losing a great leader, a great moral leader, a great mind, and all prematurely is how it feels to me.

Prayers for the Holy Father, and the Cardinals, and his successor, and for the universal Church....

--hide--

I feel the same way as you do..I became teary a little when I read the news for the first time.

But I believe the Holy Father is under the Lord's guidance in making this decision.

I'm really thankful for what the Pope has done during these years. Such a great Shepherd.

Let's pray for him, for his health and joy. And also for the upcoming conclave and the Church.

Praying
Feb 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: My prediction for the next Pope is Cardinal Arinze of Africa.
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

My prediction for the next Pope is Cardinal Arinze of Africa.

--hide--

I think that he will certainly be one of the main contendors and would make a great Pope!

Feb 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Pat-5351 said: I am personally shocked. I never thought I would see this in my lifetime, a pope abdicating. I...
(Quote) Pat-5351 said:

Prayers for the Holy Father, and the Cardinals, and his successor, and for the universal Church....

--hide--

Pat, I have that same "uneasy" feeling, and I think it is because we don't really know the whole story here. It would be helpful, I think, if we knew that the Pope was, for example, terminally ill and likely only had a very short time left or if he had a very debilitating disease diagnosed (for example, something like Alzheimer's which would make resignation imperative or, in effect, someone else would be running the Church while he was incapacitated.) I am truly hoping that this is NOT some political situation in which he has been "persuaded" to resign (and really don't think so, but you never know).

By the way, there is excellent coverage and discussion going on right now on EWTN.

Feb 11th 2013 new

Just realized Arinze is 80 himself...didn't realize he was that old. You never know what is going to happen with these things...

I am surprised more people here on CM are not talking about this.

Feb 11th 2013 new
The next Pope is one of the following

Cardinal-voters who will elect the next Pontiff - almost certainly one among them. (Table provided by Catholic Hierarchy.)

Posts 1 - 10 of 112