Faith Focused Dating. Create your Free Profile and meet your Match! Sign Up for Free
A place to learn, mingle, and share

This room is for the discussion of current events,cultural issues and politics especially in relation to Catholic values.

Saint Thomas More was martyred during the Protestant Reformation for standing firm in the Faith and not recognizing the King of England as the Supreme Head of the Church.
Learn More:Saint Thomas More

Feb 11th 2013 new

From the Vatican, 10 February 2013 BENEDICTUS PP XVI

Thanks, Bernard. It is good to read the Holy Father's actual message. The media is going to have a field day with "What ifs", and we'll all be reeling from the chatter. All we can do is pray and rely on God's next Pontiff. theheart

Feb 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: The next Pope is one of the following<...
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: The next Pope is one of the following

Cardinal-voters who will elect the next Pontiff - almost certainly one among them. (Table provided by Catholic Hierarchy.)

rorate-caeli.blogspot.com

--hide--

Thanks for posting this list, Bernard. Very helpful! Do you know when the conclave will start?

Feb 11th 2013 new
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: Pat, I have that same "uneasy" feeling, and I think it is because we don't really know ...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

Pat, I have that same "uneasy" feeling, and I think it is because we don't really know the whole story here. It would be helpful, I think, if we knew that the Pope was, for example, terminally ill and likely only had a very short time left or if he had a very debilitating disease diagnosed (for example, something like Alzheimer's which would make resignation imperative or, in effect, someone else would be running the Church while he was incapacitated.) I am truly hoping that this is NOT some political situation in which he has been "persuaded" to resign (and really don't think so, but you never know).

By the way, there is excellent coverage and discussion going on right now on EWTN.

--hide--

I have a strong feeling there is more going on than they're saying and it's political. That is my opinion.
Feb 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Patricia-29176 said: (Quote) Bernard-2709 said: Th...
(Quote) Patricia-29176 said:

Quote:
Bernard-2709 said: The next Pope is one of the following

Cardinal-voters who will elect the next Pontiff - almost certainly one among them. (Table provided by Catholic Hierarchy.)

Thanks for posting this list, Bernard. Very helpful! Do you know when the conclave will start?

--hide--
Good question.My brothers opinion was that they have to wait until he actually finishes his last day,then proceed.Otherwise, I have no clue in this type of a case.

Feb 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: (Quote) Patricia-29176 said: Pat, I have that same "uneasy"...
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said:
Quote:
Patricia-29176 said:

Pat, I have that same "uneasy" feeling, and I think it is because we don't really know the whole story here. It would be helpful, I think, if we knew that the Pope was, for example, terminally ill and likely only had a very short time left or if he had a very debilitating disease diagnosed (for example, something like Alzheimer's which would make resignation imperative or, in effect, someone else would be running the Church while he was incapacitated.) I am truly hoping that this is NOT some political situation in which he has been "persuaded" to resign (and really don't think so, but you never know).

By the way, there is excellent coverage and discussion going on right now on EWTN.

I have a strong feeling there is more going on than they're saying and it's political. That is my opinion.
--hide--

I don't think so.It coincides with Pope Benedict's wisdom in general.

Feb 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: Good question.My brothers opinion was that they have to wait until he actually finishes his last ...
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said:

Good question.My brothers opinion was that they have to wait until he actually finishes his last day,then proceed.Otherwise, I have no clue in this type of a case.

--hide--

I just googled and a site that took the infor from the Fox News website stated that the conclave must start 15-20 days after the resignation. But, I wonder if that takes into account that the Pope has announced his intention to resign 17 days before he actually resigns. The 15-20 days may just be the time needed to get everything ready for the conclave. Hard to say since this hasn't happened in 600 years and there have been a "few" changes in the world and the way things are done since that time!

Feb 11th 2013 new

"Dear Brothers,

I have convoked you to this Consistory, not only for the three canonizations, but also to communicate to you a decision of great importance for the life of the Church. After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry. I am well aware that this ministry, due to its essential spiritual nature, must be carried out not only with words and deeds, but no less with prayer and suffering. However, in today’s world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognize my incapacity to adequately fulfill the ministry entrusted to me. For this reason, and well aware of the seriousness of this act, with full freedom I declare that I renounce the ministry of Bishop of Rome, Successor of Saint Peter, entrusted to me by the Cardinals on 19 April 2005, in such a way, that as from 28 February 2013, at 20:00 hours, the See of Rome, the See of Saint Peter, will be vacant and a Conclave to elect the new Supreme Pontiff will have to be convoked by those whose competence it is."

"Dear Brothers, I thank you most sincerely for all the love and work with which you have supported me in my ministry and I ask pardon for all my defects. And now, let us entrust the Holy Church to the care of Our Supreme Pastor, Our Lord Jesus Christ, and implore his holy Mother Mary, so that she may assist the Cardinal Fathers with her maternal solicitude, in electing a new Supreme Pontiff. With regard to myself, I wish to also devotedly serve the Holy Church of God in the future through a life dedicated to prayer."

From the Vatican, 10 February 2013 BENEDICTUS PP XVI

Update (various news sources, from the Holy See spokesman Fr. Lombardi): Following his resignation, Pope Benedict XVI will spend some time in Castel Gandolfo to end all pending work. Following that, he will live the life of prayer n a cloister within the Vatican walls.

--hide--

This is truly shocking and saddening. I have to agree that I cannot help but feel that it is politically motivated. People are saying not to think of the prophecy or Malachy or Garabandal but unfortunately these things do come to mind. The good thing is that no matter what happens we have to do the same thing. We just need to love the Lord and strive to serve him and others. However, as a Catholic my heart is very heavy today. We need to pray intensely. The Church has been under attack for so long and I can't help but think that this is another one.

Feb 11th 2013 new

(Quote) Shara-929649 said: This is truly shocking and saddening. I have to agree that I cannot help but feel that it...
(Quote) Shara-929649 said:

This is truly shocking and saddening. I have to agree that I cannot help but feel that it is politically motivated. People are saying not to think of the prophecy or Malachy or Garabandal but unfortunately these things do come to mind. The good thing is that no matter what happens we have to do the same thing. We just need to love the Lord and strive to serve him and others. However, as a Catholic my heart is very heavy today. We need to pray intensely. The Church has been under attack for so long and I can't help but think that this is another one.

--hide--

Feb 11th 2013 new
(Quote) Bernard-2709 said: I don't think so.It coincides with Pope Benedict's wisdom in general.

I don't think so.It coincides with Pope Benedict's wisdom in general.

--hide--

I truly hope you are correct and I am wrong. I find it odd that a Pope would make an announcement two days before Ash Wednesday that he is resigning during of Lent. That's too strange to me.
Feb 11th 2013 new
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said: I truly hope you are correct and I am wrong. I find it odd that a Pope would make an announcement two...
(Quote) Josephine-586127 said:

I truly hope you are correct and I am wrong. I find it odd that a Pope would make an announcement two days before Ash Wednesday that he is resigning during of Lent. That's too strange to me.
--hide--

Oops....resigning during Lent.
Posts 11 - 20 of 112